Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    Let's be honest here, Van Persie left for trophies and he's now been vindicated. You can hate him for the way he orchestrated his move away from the club, I certainly think it was classless, but you cannot deny his reasoning. Our players shouldn't need motivating on Sunday to get one over him though.
    Did he? He was never worth more than 90k until 2012 and as soon as he was he went and got himself 250k a week. Everyone thinks about money so the people who reckon RVP didn't think about the tens of millions he stood to earn by leaving are fools. That's not to say he doesn't also want to win but every player says they don't care about money. Adebayor said it, Nasri said it. Arteta took a pay cut to join us, he has credibility. Fabregas as well. RVP tripled his wages. Believable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrParsnip)
    Time for us to step up. First Sunday...then next season :dumbells:.
    I honestly don't think we have much chance of winning the title next year, no matter whom we sign. It's going to take a few more seasons, in my opinion, before we even get close again.

ReputationRep:
    I really would like to know what is Wenger thinking right now as he watches Skysports.

ReputationRep:
    If Usmanov buys Kroenke's shares I personally think we'd have an entirely different ideological outlook in terms of expenditure. He's been very quiet, like Stan, but seems to have more of a desire for success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    I really would like to know what is Wenger thinking right now as he watches Skysports.
    I honestly think things like this hurts him first, more than any of us. You can tell the guy is absolutely obsessed with football, and Arsenal. I reckon he's Arsenal's biggest fan. Which is why I don't believe that he doesn't look at images like those tonight and not long for the glory to return. He must have something else holding him back, whether that's the board, the long term financial security of the club, or slightly worryingly, his own pride.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Did he? He was never worth more than 90k until 2012 and as soon as he was he went and got himself 250k a week. Everyone thinks about money so the people who reckon RVP didn't think about the tens of millions he stood to earn by leaving are fools. That's not to say he doesn't also want to win but every player says they don't care about money. Adebayor said it, Nasri said it. Arteta took a pay cut to join us, he has credibility. Fabregas as well. RVP tripled his wages. Believable?
    You can leave for both money and trophies you know. Given that he wasn't a local boy who grew up supporting Arsenal etc (I know there's the picture of him wearing an Arsenal shirt when he was younger, but there's a difference between living in Romford and Rotterdam), I don't know what you expected of him? Option A was to stay at Arsenal for less money and less chance of success, option B was to leave for more money and trophies, and he's been vindicated within less than 12 months. It's painful but it's the truth and it's up to the club to convert our now increased resources into ambition to stop this from happening.

ReputationRep:
    Epic game at the Underhill tonight, we gave it pretty bad to Jenko.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    I honestly don't think we have much chance of winning the title next year, no matter whom we sign. It's going to take a few more seasons, in my opinion, before we even get close again.

We say that every season. As far as I am concerned on our day we we can hold our own against the best teams in Europe. We just need 1 or 2 players who can inspire moments of magic in those pathetic games where we struggle to turn likely loses into draws and draw into wins. The most obvious example being Suarez :goofy: at Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Who won?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh all we really need is a GK, CDM and CF to mount a title challenge. But all of these players need to be top quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Who won?
    Spurs one nil. Though if you count the number of times we sang 'let's pretend we scored a goal' it'd be four nil :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    You can leave for both money and trophies you know. Given that he wasn't a local boy who grew up supporting Arsenal etc (I know there's the picture of him wearing an Arsenal shirt when he was younger, but there's a difference between living in Romford and Rotterdam), I don't know what you expected of him? Option A was to stay at Arsenal for less money and less chance of success, option B was to leave for more money and trophies, and he's been vindicated within less than 12 months. It's painful but it's the truth and it's up to the club to convert our now increased resources into ambition to stop this from happening.
    People forget RVP's background. Feijenoord shopped him around Europe before he joined us. He was a headcase, getting into fist fights with team mates, refusing to warm up. Wenger bought him for 2.75m, he was a player that nobody, including fergie would touch. When he first arrived at arsenal he was still a headcase and eventually wenger and bergkamp civilised him. Then he spends the next 6 years on the treatment table earning millions without playing. Wenger never wrote him off and never replaced him when others would have. We built the team around him, gave him the armband worn by legends like Adams, Henry, etc. He throws it all back in our faces, tells us he's outgrew us(remember when you couldn't get a game ay Feijenoord robin?) And escapes through the back door whilst doing his best to weaken our negotiating position(only saved by wengersnegotiating ability). He shouldn't have joined utd, period. He shpuldnt have forced the move Like he did.

Classless is not the word. He deserves nothing but derision from gooners. Just wish we had tony Adams, David o'leary or even ray parlour on Sunday. They'd knock his block off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Expect Jenko responded with '**** off ya mugging yid *****. chsmpions league? Youre avin a laugh aint ya?'

ReputationRep:
    Expect Jenko responded with '**** off ya mugging yid *****. chsmpions league? Youre avin a laugh aint ya?'
    Jenko would box a Yiddo no questions asked, he's got the Adams/Keown bulldog spirit in him. One of my fav players alongside Wilshere.

ReputationRep:
    People forget RVP's background. Feijenoord shopped him around Europe before he joined us. He was a headcase, getting into fist fights with team mates, refusing to warm up. Wenger bought him for 2.75m, he was a player that nobody, including fergie would touch. When he first arrived at arsenal he was still a headcase and eventually wenger and bergkamp civilised him. Then he spends the next 6 years on the treatment table earning millions without playing. Wenger never wrote him off and never replaced him when others would have. We built the team around him, gave him the armband worn by legends like Adams, Henry, etc. He throws it all back in our faces, tells us he's outgrew us(remember when you couldn't get a game ay Feijenoord robin?) And escapes through the back door whilst doing his best to weaken our negotiating position(only saved by wengersnegotiating ability). He shouldn't have joined utd, period. He shpuldnt have forced the move Like he did.

Classless is not the word. He deserves nothing but derision from gooners. Just wish we had tony Adams, David o'leary or even ray parlour on Sunday. They'd knock his block off.
    You can hate him all you like, I thoroughly dislike him, but feelings put aside he left for trophies and won trophies. It's ambition like that that makes winners, it's ruthless and it's typified United's season. I've openly criticised his 'negotiating' methods in the past, but he knew what he wanted and he got it. Now he's a champion, for me that's vindication of his ambition. Say what you want about what he 'owes' us, he's already equalled his medal count from 8 years at Arsenal in one year at United. It's a harsh reality, players want success.

ReputationRep:
    SSN: How does it feel?

RVP: I am very happy but...
    But what Robin? But it's just not quite the same is it? It doesn't mean as much as it would with a cannon on your chest, with Wenger smiling on the sidelines and a crowd that truly adores you singing your name and you know it.

I'm not saying he regrets the move or that he made the wrong decision, but if he could swap this title for one in an Arsenal shirt, he'd do it in a heartbeat. To be honest, watching him there I wasn't angry with him nor was I pleased for him, I was just sad. Sad that the outcome that he, I and all of us wanted just couldn't come to be.

ReputationRep:
    Better get your hands ready. 50 something thousand arsenal fans watching their team clap united onto the pitch. Going to record that **** and make my arsenal mates watch it.

One question would you rather have had them win it at the emirates or do a guard of honour? Seriously I don't know which one is more degrading probably the first one would be worse after wiltord and RVP will be doing his title celebrations on the pitch too.

Saying that united have taken a lot of **** over the years. They've had to do a guard of honour to chelsea and they had to celebrate us win the title against them too, plus they've had you win the title at old trafford too while we're at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrParsnip)
    We say that every season. As far as I am concerned on our day we we can hold our own against the best teams in Europe. We just need 1 or 2 players who can inspire moments of magic in those pathetic games where we struggle to turn likely loses into draws and draw into wins. The most obvious example being Suarez :goofy: at Liverpool.
    Yeah, "on our day." Thing is, in recent seasons, it hasn't been "our day" on a consistent enough basis. Don't get me wrong here: I'm not trying to put us down or be negative - I think it's remarkable that we've managed to stay relatively competitive given the monumental changes the club has undergone these past ten or so years. I'm simply - and I hope this doesn't too portentous - addressing the reality of our current situation. And the reality is that we're 21 points behind the league champions, still unsure as to whether we'll be playing Champions League football next season. So, realistically, I don't think that's a gap we're going to overcome by having one good transfer window. I do believe that among the current squad we have the makings of a title-winning side - Wilshere, of course, being the primary candidate - but it's going to take time: as I said, a couple of seasons. In the meantime, if we can win a few cups en route, then I'll genuinely be ecstatic. Up The Arsenal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Jenko would box a Yiddo no questions asked, he's got the Adams/Keown bulldog spirit in him. One of my fav players alongside Wilshere.
    Sandro would reduce the lad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    But what Robin? But it's just not quite the same is it? It doesn't mean as much as it would with a cannon on your chest, with Wenger smiling on the sidelines and a crowd that truly adores you singing your name and you know it.

I'm not saying he regrets the move or that he made the wrong decision, but if he could swap this title for one in an Arsenal shirt, he'd do it in a heartbeat. To be honest, watching him there I wasn't angry with him nor was I pleased for him, I was just sad. Sad that the outcome that he, I and all of us wanted just couldn't come to be.
    I love it when you turn up in this thread. You always leave a post which makes me proud to be a Gooner.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.