The Student Room Group

Dentistry Graduate Entry 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Offer from Aberdeen 12.16 via track...so so excited! Scottish applicant with degree already so offer is unconditional. Hoping that they get back to everyone else waiting v.soon, i know that they got through all of the medics very quickly.
Offer from Aberdeen too! :biggrin:
Offer from Aberdeen received and confirmed yesterday :smile:
Reply 523
Original post by Brunette_Trout
I'm in the same boat, what are you thinking? I could do with a second opinion badly! Personally, I genuinely like UCLAN's dental school better and was convinced I wanna go there cos I thought it was gonna be my only offer.However, now I'm thinking "ok there's gonna be a life outside uni as well", and if I'm honest I think if I'm gonna be living in Preston for 4 years, I will get bored. Liverpool is a bigger city, therefore more places to live, more places to go etc, but I wasn't too keen on the dental school itself.

Hi,

This was exactly my thinking. Initially for me, uclan was a certain choice, they really sold it to me when I went there. But I have had a long think about it and I think I am going to firm Liverpool. To me, it's a much nicer city with a lot more going on, which will be important as well. I know that Preston is only half an hour from Manchester, but this still requires more time and effort than if it was on your doorstep, Aside from this, it's a very well established dental school with a reputation that will be better recognised internationally and within the UK. Many friends I have spoken to have never heard of UCLAN, and I don't think this is through naivety. What if the government decide that there is an excess of dental places? The first course that they are going to scrap is he newest, which is UCLAN (I'm sure this has happened already elsewhere in the UK?) With my offer letter, they attached a document cautioning that the 4 year course was awaiting EU approval and may be a 5 year, although it shouldn't, it's a risk. I think that the DECs are a great idea, but what if the other 7 people you are with are not people that you get along with? I thought that Liverpool would be impersonal, but I really don't think it will be as you are split into rotating PBL groups as well as other groups. It will allow us to meet more people, and who knows, we may even find someone to open a practice with!

To be honest, I never thought I'd be selected as there are only 15 places and so many applicants (I believe in total 1300).

Let me know what you think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 524
Offer from Aberdeen on track 12.16 today. So so excited! Scottish applicant. Unconditional as already have degree. Hoping that everyone else waiting hears soon too.
Firmed liverpool! Has anyone else firmed liverpool?
Reply 526
Original post by kangweinike
Firmed liverpool! Has anyone else firmed liverpool?

Is this the 4 year? What day did you get yours? My friends still waiting!
Original post by dental92!
Is this the 4 year? What day did you get yours? My friends still waiting!

Yes 4 year. I Got my offer through on Friday...late afternoon
Original post by mgilks
Hi,

This was exactly my thinking. Initially for me, uclan was a certain choice, they really sold it to me when I went there. But I have had a long think about it and I think I am going to firm Liverpool. To me, it's a much nicer city with a lot more going on, which will be important as well. I know that Preston is only half an hour from Manchester, but this still requires more time and effort than if it was on your doorstep, Aside from this, it's a very well established dental school with a reputation that will be better recognised internationally and within the UK. Many friends I have spoken to have never heard of UCLAN, and I don't think this is through naivety. What if the government decide that there is an excess of dental places? The first course that they are going to scrap is he newest, which is UCLAN (I'm sure this has happened already elsewhere in the UK?) With my offer letter, they attached a document cautioning that the 4 year course was awaiting EU approval and may be a 5 year, although it shouldn't, it's a risk. I think that the DECs are a great idea, but what if the other 7 people you are with are not people that you get along with? I thought that Liverpool would be impersonal, but I really don't think it will be as you are split into rotating PBL groups as well as other groups. It will allow us to meet more people, and who knows, we may even find someone to open a practice with!

To be honest, I never thought I'd be selected as there are only 15 places and so many applicants (I believe in total 1300).

Let me know what you think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there,

Thanks for replying to me. You have a pretty identical thought process there to myself lol. I personally like UCLAN's facilities better, but I got my DEC allocation today and they've put me in Carlisle which is a no no for me tbh, it's gonna be difficult trying to commute from Preston there and back everyday and I don't really see myself living up there for 3 years. Plus, it's gonna cost me loads which apparently the uni covers or helps with but it will still cost me a lot more coming back home to visit than it would if I ended up in Liverpool. Not sure how I feel about mixing with the undergrads at Liverpool though,but I think Liverpool it will have to be! :smile:
Reply 529
Original post by Brunette_Trout
Hey there,

Thanks for replying to me. You have a pretty identical thought process there to myself lol. I personally like UCLAN's facilities better, but I got my DEC allocation today and they've put me in Carlisle which is a no no for me tbh, it's gonna be difficult trying to commute from Preston there and back everyday and I don't really see myself living up there for 3 years. Plus, it's gonna cost me loads which apparently the uni covers or helps with but it will still cost me a lot more coming back home to visit than it would if I ended up in Liverpool. Not sure how I feel about mixing with the undergrads at Liverpool though,but I think Liverpool it will have to be! :smile:

I got given Morecambe bay, how often do you think we would need to travel to preston in the later years?
Original post by Mr.mdm
I got given Morecambe bay, how often do you think we would need to travel to preston in the later years?

Not too sure tbh, but I think less as you progress through the course. Second year I was told you will still have quite a few lectures in Preston but after that not so much. The final year is more like a consolidation year so I reckon you'll be at your DEC 90% of the time really.
Original post by Jo_Nicole
Offer from Aberdeen on track 12.16 today. So so excited! Scottish applicant. Unconditional as already have degree. Hoping that everyone else waiting hears soon too.

Hiii Scottish applicant too with 2.1 conditional offer for Aberdeen!! Just checking we do get all our fees covered by SAAS dont we? (plus SAAS loan and NHS bursary) Havent spoken to them since before Christmas but they said that's how it worked last year and would probably be the same the year after
Reply 532
Has anyone made a King's GPEP offers group on Facebook?
Yo! I have no idea what the fee situation is...Do we apply to the SAAS now, or do we have to wait until we get make our predicted grades? EXCITING!
Reply 534
Original post by Mr.mdm

I got Aberdeen and UCLan (DEC Carlisle), so I've gone for UCLan - I preferred the dental school to Aberdeen, just because it seemed a lot more personal than Aberdeen. It's not the typical uni experience, but we've done all that already.

Anyone else going to UCLan Carlisle? :smile:
Reply 535
Original post by Vigsarmy101
Offer from kings :d

Hi, Well done!
What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? And where's your undergrad and subject?

Thanks so much
Reply 536
Original post by M_Jburg
Offer from King's for GPEP!!!!

Hi, Well done!
What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? And where's your undergrad and subject?

Thanks so much
Reply 537
Original post by mgilks
Offer from liverpool today! Graduate entry :biggrin: wow! Now just have to decide between uclan and liverpool, any one have any thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, Well done!

Thanks so much
Reply 538
Original post by Pretzy91
Has anybody firmed Liverpool?? I'm so relieved to have an offer!

Hi, Well done!

Thanks so much
Reply 539
Original post by irishdentalapp
Offer from Aberdeen :smile: Anyone else get one?

Hi, Well done!

Thanks so much

Quick Reply

Latest