Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's: 10A*'s, 2A's
    A Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Classical Civilizations, French
    Predicted: A's

Would like to do Classics, possibly with French

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSJKSP)
    anyone hoping to apply to Oxford for medicine?
    MEEEEEEEEE I absolutely love Oxford, both the place and the uni - do you have any insider information on the best colleges for medicine or application tips?

I've heard you shouldn't worry about grades too much because, whilst they're important, some people get 3 A* at a level and don't get an offer
    (good luck friend)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uhhh)
    MEEEEEEEEE I absolutely love Oxford, both the place and the uni - do you have any insider information on the best colleges for medicine or application tips?

I've heard you shouldn't worry about grades too much because, whilst they're important, some people get 3 A* at a level and don't get an offer
    (good luck friend)
    Yeah I would absolutely love to go there unfortunately not, because I am in year 12, so don't have any insider info, but I think I might apply to Brasenosd, it just looks lovely!

I know, but I suppose it's best to get good grades anyway! I'm doing the IB actually which is bloody hard! what subjects are you doing at a level?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would absolutely love to go there unfortunately not, because I am in year 12, so don't have any insider info, but I think I might apply to Brasenosd, it just looks lovely!

I know, but I suppose it's best to get good grades anyway! I'm doing the IB actually which is bloody hard! what subjects are you doing at a level?
    Whoa IB, I'm sorry I'm thinking maybe Magdalen, because I like the facilities/amount of sports.

I do bio, chem, maths, psychology and general studies (it's compulsory) I'm gonna do an EPQ next year too but I'm torn between dropping maths or psych - I may just keep both. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uhhh)
    Whoa IB, I'm sorry I'm thinking maybe Magdalen, because I like the facilities/amount of sports.

I do bio, chem, maths, psychology and general studies (it's compulsory) I'm gonna do an EPQ next year too but I'm torn between dropping maths or psych - I may just keep both. How about you?
    ooh what's psychology like? I do HL Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy and SL Maths, English and German.

ReputationRep:
    ooh what's psychology like? I do HL Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy and SL Maths, English and German.
    It's really interesting, I just wish we did an exam board with more applied knowledge. I've heard philosophy is a love/hate sort of subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uhhh)
    It's really interesting, I just wish we did an exam board with more applied knowledge. I've heard philosophy is a love/hate sort of subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes it is! it's really fascinating and a good break from science which can get quite tedious! Especially biology which I find much harder and more time consuming than chemistry. However it is really hard to revise for and to get the essay style just right; the exams are quite short and it's hard to get everything in! I would have loved to have done psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swifty139)
    GCSE's: 10A*'s, 2A's
    A Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Classical Civilizations, French
    Predicted: A's

Would like to do Classics, possibly with French

That looks great.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else applying for PPE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pumpkinpasty)
    Anybody else applying for PPE?

I am! Have you decided which college?

ReputationRep:
    yes it is! it's really fascinating and a good break from science which can get quite tedious! Especially biology which I find much harder and more time consuming than chemistry. However it is really hard to revise for and to get the essay style just right; the exams are quite short and it's hard to get everything in! I would have loved to have done psychology
    !!!! I find the same with psych - it's not as essay based as I expected but it's a nice mash up of bio and... Psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% applying as I want to wait for my AS grades. I feel I may be a little inadequate..
    BUT
    If I do apply:

GCSE grades: 5A*s and 6As
    Predicted 5 As at AS (bit optimistic in my eyes.. :P)
    Looking at EMEL (French and Hebrew)
    Oriel or St Johns College

Just out of interest, does anyone know much about choral scholarships and the standard required?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oakflame)
    I am! Have you decided which college?
    Umm at the moment I'm thinking Keble, Brasenose or Balliol, but I'm going on an open day in July so hopefully I will make my final decision then What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerlaDeSabiduría)
    I might as well join in the fun
    GCSE's: 6A*s, 6A's, somehow top of my year
    AS levels; French, Spanish, Maths and English Lit
    Predicted A's, but we'll see
    I really want to do French and Spanish at Oxford, but Linguistics seems really interesting too!
    If anyone has any relevant personal experience of these courses, or wants to promote their college for these subjects, please message me
    Hii! you're the first person I've come across doing exactly the same A Levels as me - languages for the win lol
    I'm thinking of doing either english lit on its own or English with Spanish/French but I'm so scared I won't get the grades this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by west1806)
    Hii! you're the first person I've come across doing exactly the same A Levels as me - languages for the win lol
    I'm thinking of doing either english lit on its own or English with Spanish/French but I'm so scared I won't get the grades this year
    I'm doing these A levels too!! (plus economics) I want to do French & Spanish at uni as well. I'm sure you will get the grades!!

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to go but not really sure if I'm even close (Seems to be about 1 or 2 people every five years get into Oxbridge from my school - but then very few actually apply).

Hey ho...

National 5's: 8 As (6 A1 and 2 A2)
    Highers: Maths, English, Geography, History and Music
    Advanced Highers: History, Geography and Modern Studies (as well as Higher RMPS)
    Course: History
    College: Balliol (though barely looked into this)

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for PPE this year, I'll be glad to help if I can

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So i am considering an application to Oxford for Law. I am a Scottish student and this year i am doing my Highers - Maths, English, French, Geography, History, Economics. However, i am unsure of which subjects to do next year that would best suit what i want to do.

I am thinking about:

Advanced Higher Geography
    Advanced Higher History
    A-Level Russian or Advanced Higher English or Advanced Higher Economics
    Crash Higher Spanish

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powelsmartin)
    I got an offer for PPE this year, I'll be glad to help if I can

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah awesome congratulations! Which college? Have you got any tips on what they like to see on personal statements, etc? Also, what's the interview like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pumpkinpasty)
    Ah awesome congratulations! Which college? Have you got any tips on what they like to see on personal statements, etc? Also, what's the interview like?
    Oriel

Oxford doesn't really care about personal statements - I wrote mine the night before the deadline (due to some confusion at my school) and it didn't reflect on the outcome at all. I can send you a copy of it though if you like, although it is pretty crap and targeted more towards my other choices which actually read personal statements.

The interview was basically an interesting conversation that you can't really prepare for, they'll always find a topic you're not too familiar with to ask you about in order to see how you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.