Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Yeah I'm aware of that new class system, I very much go by it lol. I see yeah engineering is fine. I mean, all I'll ask is, in your opinion: I've worked it out and know that yes, it is enough, but do you think £70k/£80k is enough to save for a £75k car if you're really dedicated to it. I mean, saving £2k+ a month from a £4k/month salary shouldn't be hard so long as you're willing to live a supposedly frugal life for 3/4 years. You think £70k is enough for a middle-class existence, like holidays abroad, traveling the world, nice car, £500k-£700k house max?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not in London, no.
    70k anywhere outside of London etc will be upper middle class 100%. Bear in mind, 70k is including people who may be 40/50 years old. Problem is, there isn't many jobs that will earn you 70k outside of London.
    I know dentists on ~100k in the midlands living in 700k homes. (a 700k home in the midlands is incredible btw) They wouldn't be able to live like that in London.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So what salary do you think affords an upper-middle class life/what I wrote, and a bit more? £100k (£5100 per month)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's nearly impossible to transition into the upper-middle given when you're getting to that level your recent ancestry becomes important. 100k should fairly easily achieve what you gave, and you could probably get away with a bit less. In many respects, the holidays make a huge difference, because you could be looking at low 4 figure, or well into 5 figure, depending on where you're going and just how "good" a hotel/room you're going after (omitting anything less than 4*)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's nearly impossible to transition into the upper-middle given when you're getting to that level your recent ancestry becomes important. 100k should fairly easily achieve what you gave, and you could probably get away with a bit less. In many respects, the holidays make a huge difference, because you could be looking at low 4 figure, or well into 5 figure, depending on where you're going and just how "good" a hotel/room you're going after (omitting anything less than 4*)
    Well, again, all I'm after in life is a £600k house, call the car £100k (would most likely not be that), the means to run the two and travel a lot in the car (about £4400 for house utilities, not mortgage + £6000 for the car, per year max, so call it £10k a year on house+car absolute max) and occasional holidays abroad. If that doesn't happen, I could always just retire somewhere truly abroad. Anyhow... I can also move country, invest what I have... And there's always interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, again, all I'm after in life is a £600k house, call the car £100k (would most likely not be that), the means to run the two and travel a lot in the car (about £4400 for house utilities, not mortgage + £6000 for the car, per year max, so call it £10k a year on house+car absolute max) and occasional holidays abroad. If that doesn't happen, I could always just retire somewhere truly abroad. Anyhow... I can also move country, invest what I have... And there's always interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you planing to buy a car and a house worth 600k in cash?
    Only millionaires can do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19cvabn)
    Are you planing to buy a car and a house worth 600k in cash?
    Only millionaires can do that.
    The house would be worth £550k, the car between £55k and £85k (say £70k). Of course not in cash. I could only wish. No, I'd have a £200k shortfall for the house considering my current net worth, and then £70k... Basically I need to gather £2k per month once I can/save for 13 years to have saved £320k, enough for the two. Of course that's excluding a mortgage deal I might get. But ffs I just need more money... So how... Get a seriously high paying 6 figure job, invest, try and start a business, learn to code and make apps/websites... The lottery? :P idk... I've got a lot of struggles ahead of me.

And that's why money's damn important for me, up to a point. The more the better. I have ambitions I can still do something about. I could always move country too, and that makes things a fair bit easier in the right circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good for you about that. Likewise, I'm highly confident I'll pass £50k at the very least, especially if improvement per generation is to be believed. However, what for you makes you say that's "fairly achievable". I just want to get an idea of what exactly gives one that level of confidence, for I'm personally worried I (somehow) won't break £50k even with impeccable academics, as a surprising number of people on TSR themselves think. I have no idea if people on TSR are pessimistic, unaware, disadvantaged (would very much like to know how if so) or pragmatic with good reason/awareness instead. I want to basically break 6 figures in all honesty, as a slightly longer term career goal; if not, £80k+... But the younger the better I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well it's fairly achievable if you have a good work ethic and come from a good university. Obviously I'm not 100% sure of it, but speaking to Alumni, most of them reckon they'll be able to bypass the £50k line at some point in their career. I hope to enter the oil industry as a pipeline or drilling engineer, but Big 4 grad schemes look really attractive. If I do end up in accounting, I hope to possibly leave after qualifying to a technology/engineering consultancy or start-up and work (hopefully) as a CFO or something. Yeah I too wish to reach £100k but tbh I'd be happy with about £70k in LDN.

Then again, I may also end up at McDonald's :laugh:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeBron96)
    Well it's fairly achievable if you have a good work ethic and come from a good university. Obviously I'm not 100% sure of it, but speaking to Alumni, most of them reckon they'll be able to bypass the £50k line at some point in their career. I hope to enter the oil industry as a pipeline or drilling engineer, but Big 4 grad schemes look really attractive. If I do end up in accounting, I hope to possibly leave after qualifying to a technology/engineering consultancy or start-up and work (hopefully) as a CFO or something. Yeah I too wish to reach £100k but tbh I'd be happy with about £70k in LDN.

Then again, I may also end up at McDonald's :laugh:.
    Hope you get there. You gave me one new idea from that. One thing: with "good", do you mean top 6/unis as good as banking target unis, or good as in Russell Group (eg KCL, Nottingham, Bristol)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hope you get there. You gave me one new idea from that. One thing: with "good", do you mean top 6/unis as good as banking target unis, or good as in Russell Group (eg KCL, Nottingham, Bristol)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, I hope you do so too! The uni depends on your course, obviously for Engineering, then as long as it's Russell group, you should be fine. However if you choose a finance oriented degree such as Econ, then you should aim for IB target unis and the likes of Bristol/Bath/Durham for example. I'm not entirely sure of the target unis (Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, LSE?).

If you don't mind me asking, what is this idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeBron96)
    Thank you, I hope you do so too! The uni depends on your course, obviously for Engineering, then as long as it's Russell group, you should be fine. However if you choose a finance oriented degree such as Econ, then you should aim for IB target unis and the likes of Bristol/Bath/Durham for example. I'm not entirely sure of the target unis (Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, LSE?).

If you don't mind me asking, what is this idea?
    Yeah, the supposed banking targets are Oxford and Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL and Warwick. My plan's to do economics or maths. I know you're not aware, but as I'd quite like to stay in London, do you think KCL is actually truly good enough (for Mathematics or Economics & Management)? Thus is in relation to putting me in good stead of eventually getting the aforementioned salaries...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're that obsessed about money and working flat out, you could get a cleaning job in the evenings and a weekend job at some supermarket. Save an extra £5k a year 😜

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Well, a £150k salary is the ambition then. Just what do I have to do to get there, apart from 'work hard'? OK, A*A*A*, good university, first class degree, work experiences... Then what? That's the great question...
    Realistically the only jobs which have a clear salary progression to £100k+ are finance (not just banking), and medicine. Medicine is obviously only accessible to those with a medical degree, whereas finance is more inclusive.

The qualifications you need will depend on what exactly you want to do. Investment banking mainly recruits from Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE/UCL/Warwick for example, while big4 accounting and actuarial work will be any top half Russell Group. MBB consultancy is essentially Oxbridge only, while less prestigious consultancy firms will be any RG. All of those jobs would pay £100k in mid-late career. Getting a first is nice, but as long as you are at an elite universitiy it is less important than having good extra-curriculars (positions of responsibility within university societies, leadership/business experience, etc) and a solid internship (which you will do at the end of your second year at university).

Other high paying jobs include some engineering. Petroleum/chemical engineering is the obvious one (as is anything else connected to the oil industry really), and salaries of £100k+ arent uncommon in mid-career. Computing/programming can pay a lot too but the variance is enormous and you really have to be good; the top programmers have companies fighting over them and earn a lot, while your average 'IT' worker doesnt earn a great salary

The problem with finance is that realistically you will have to live in London so the money does not go far at all (as others have said). The same applies to tech to a lesser degree, most of the best computer startups will be around London/Cambridge. Most oil industry work is London or Aberdeen afaik.

I have very much thought of moving to Zurich or Dubai myself, or possibly the USA. If I were, I'd move to Los Angeles. In terms of job prospects, what's your view on which city is best? NYC, LA, Chicago?
    If you dont have close ties to the UK then leaving is a decent idea, realistically I dont think the UK has much to offer ambitious young people these days due to the oppressive tax regime, and the fact that anyone under the age of 40 is now completely screwed when it comes to housing costs. Neither of these things are likely to change in the near future.

May I ask by way, if it's not too intrusive, what your salary is, roughly? Round it up/down to the nearest ten-thousandth if you must... (£50k? £40k? £60k?)
    It varies, but I get around £55-60k in a typical year at the moment. I'm in London and that wont be enough to afford to live here once I have kids (even taking into account that it will be a bit higher by then) and I will try to move somewhere else, possibly abroad. But it really depends what you want to do, and where you want to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohat)
    Realistically the only jobs which have a clear salary progression to £100k+ are finance (not just banking), and medicine. Medicine is obviously only accessible to those with a medical degree, whereas finance is more inclusive.
    You've got more of a chance of making that type of money in dentistry in comparison to medicine. Unless you live in the US.

ReputationRep:
    The house would be worth £550k, the car between £55k and £85k (say £70k). Of course not in cash. I could only wish. No, I'd have a £200k shortfall for the house considering my current net worth, and then £70k... Basically I need to gather £2k per month once I can/save for 13 years to have saved £320k, enough for the two. Of course that's excluding a mortgage deal I might get. But ffs I just need more money... So how... Get a seriously high paying 6 figure job, invest, try and start a business, learn to code and make apps/websites... The lottery? :P idk... I've got a lot of struggles ahead of me.

And that's why money's damn important for me, up to a point. The more the better. I have ambitions I can still do something about. I could always move country too, and that makes things a fair bit easier in the right circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    FYI £22k stamp duty on a £550k place (4% of purchase price)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    You've got more of a chance of making that type of money in dentistry in comparison to medicine. Unless you live in the US.
    I'm not in medicine so my knowledge is limited, but I think doctors can break £100k in mid-career once they hit more senior levels and start doing consulting work, as well as private (non-NHS) practice. I assume it depends a lot on field though

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in medicine so my knowledge is limited, but I think doctors can break £100k in mid-career once they hit more senior levels and start doing consulting work, as well as private (non-NHS) practice. I assume it depends a lot on field though
    Or as attached in the armed forces.

ReputationRep:
    They'll be around 35 years old at least by the time they're a consultant(FYI pay scale for NHS consultants is 75-100k and private work is limited by the amount of NHS work they do). A dentist could be 24 earning 60k, after 2 years they can do an implantology course which is a part time 3 year degree, after that they can pretty much do 100% private work 100K+ is easily attainable at this point without even owning your own practice.
    When you factor all things together (aka training time, working hours etc) dentistry is a lot more lucrative than medicine.

ReputationRep:
    As a graduate hiring manager now earning over 50k, I can tell you that ultimately depends more on the uni than the degree subject. A first from an old poly in any subject is never going to be worth as much as even a 2:2 from a Red brick/RG uni. Don't even try to kid yourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by replyaccount)
    As a graduate hiring manager now earning over 50k, I can tell you that ultimately depends more on the uni than the degree subject. A first from an old poly in any subject is never going to be worth as much as even a 2:2 from a Red brick/RG uni. Don't even try to kid yourselves.
    Except in those graduate schemes where anyone with less than a 2:1 is automatically filtered out (which is the majority of schemes, I think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by replyaccount)
    What about medicine/dentistry graduates from ex polys whos a level grades far surpass most RGU students?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    What about medicine/dentistry graduates from ex polys whos a level grades far surpass most RGU students?
    The polys don't do them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.