Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agap)
    Probably around 65
    For the last 4 years, 40/50 has been a score of >69... Where did you get 65 from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    For the last 4 years, 40/50 has been a score of >69... Where did you get 65 from?
    The papers of the last years (starting 2009) were more difficult compared with the early ones (including the specimen). The difficulty of the Specimen paper seems to me about the same as the 2008 test. So you probably want to check the score conversion for 2008.

It will give you around 65.

You should do one of the recent papers because they are a lot harder!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicsrocks)
    Sorry if these have already been explained, but could someone explain 32 from 2009, and 30 and 21 from 2011 please? Thanks in advance

http://www.admissionstestingservice....ion_1_2009.pdf
    http://www.admissionstestingservice....ion_1_2011.pdf
    2009 Q32.

This is a hard question. The way I did it was by seeing how many other stations each station directly connected to (without passing through another station).

In A, B, D, and E, 4 of the stations directly connect with 3 other stations, and 2 of the stations directly connect with 2 other stations. In C, 1 of the stations directly connects with 4 other stations, 4 of the stations directly connect with 3 other stations, and 1 of the stations directly connects with 2 other stations.

The answer is C.

2011 Q30.

The Rovers have played and won all 4 games. United and County each only have 1 loss, this must have been against the Rovers because they won all their games. This means that the match between United and County was definitely a draw, so it was either A or D.

United has won 2 games, and scored 2 goals. It must have scored at least 1 goal in each of the games it won (or else they would have drew or lost). Therefore they scored 0 goals in their game against County, and because it was a draw, County also scored 0 goals.

The answer is A, United 0 County 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agap)
    The papers of the last years (starting 2009) were more difficult compared with the early ones (including the specimen). The difficulty of the Specimen paper seems to me about the same as the 2008 test. So you probably want to check the score conversion for 2008.

It will give you around 65.

You should do one of the recent papers because they are a lot harder!
    I've done all the papers now, I think the essay questions have got easier though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samthemiller)
    I've done all the papers now, I think the essay questions have got easier though?

I think so, too. But the topics were typically important issues at the time of the test. So probably you simply know more about the recent ones.

ReputationRep:
    Can you find an average mark of the people being accepted anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrpunchline)
    Can you find an average mark of the people being accepted anywhere?

2013: 70,2

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, could someone please help me with this question-

I have several jobs to do tomorrow morning. To save time I am going to try and
    do several jobs at once. I need to be finished by 3pm when I have to meet a
    friend. The jobs take the following amount of time:

Train journey to meet my friend ----- 40 mins
    Wash my hair -------- 25 mins
    Read my revision notes --------- 30 mins
    Walk to the train station ------------ 10 mins
    Watch my favourite television program ---------- 30 mins
    Ring my mum on my mobile ----------------- 3 mins
    Paint my nails ------------- 20 mins
    What is the latest time I need to start?
    a. 1.15pm
    b. 1pm
    c. 12.22pm
    d. 1.50pm
    e. 2.10pm

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmisra)

a. 1.15pm
    b. 1pm
    c. 12.22pm
    d. 1.50pm
    e. 2.10pm

Thanks in advance
    To avoid explaining a wrong answer, could you let me know the answer? I think I have got it right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimiaak)
    To avoid explaining a wrong answer, could you let me know the answer? I think I have got it right
    I don't have the official markscheme as this came from a test that's not on the website-- however other people have said the answer was A.

Thanks for the prompt response

ReputationRep:

a. 1.15pm
    b. 1pm
    c. 12.22pm
    d. 1.50pm
    e. 2.10pm

Thanks in advance
    You need to find the jobs which can be done at the same time. It takes 40mins on the train, and during these 40mins she can read her revision notes (30mins) and also ring her mum (3mins). It takes 10mins to walk to the train station, she could have rang her mum in these 10mins if she wanted to. It takes 30mins for her to watch her tv show, but she can paint her nails at the same time (20mins). It also takes 25mins to wash her hair.

40mins+10mins+30mins+25mins = 105mins = 1hour and 45mins.

3:00pm-1hour and 45mins = 1:15pm

The answer is A

ReputationRep:
    I don't have the official markscheme as this came from a test that's not on the website-- however other people have said the answer was A.

Thanks for the prompt response
    No worries, it's good practice. Okay great I got that answer.

This is more common sense than anything.

Obviously when you are washing your hair you can do nothing other than that.

There's 25 minutes.

However, While watching TV, you could also paint your nails so since we are doing both things at the same time, it only takes as long as the longer one. This should make sense.

We add 30 minutes (TV show time). 25 and 30 makes 55.

Now, on the way to the train station, we could also call mum. Using the same reasoning as before, this will take 10 minutes. We start walking and the calling mum at 0 minutes, the call ends in 3 minutes and we carry on walking without the phone for another 7 minutes.

We add 10 minutes (train station time). 25 and 30 and 10 makes 65 or 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Finally, what better than to kill time on the train by reading our revision notes. We sit on the train for 40 minutes and we spend 30 minutes of that time reading our notes.

We add 40 minutes (train journey time) 25 and 30 and 10 and 40 makes 1 hour and 35 minutes.

So if we need to be ready by 3. 3 subtract 1 hour and 35 minutes would mean getting ready at 1:25. Since this is not an option, we better start at 1:15pm which is A.

ReputationRep:

There's 25 minutes.

However, While watching TV, you could also paint your nails so since we are doing both things at the same time, it only takes as long as the longer one. This should make sense.

Now, on the way to the train station, we could also call mum. Using the same reasoning as before, this will take 10 minutes. We start walking and the calling mum at 0 minutes, the call ends in 3 minutes and we carry on walking without the phone for another 7 minutes.

We add 10 minutes (train station time). 25 and 30 and 10 makes 65 or 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Finally, what better than to kill time on the train by reading our revision notes. We sit on the train for 40 minutes and we spend 30 minutes of that time reading our notes.

We add 40 minutes (train journey time) 25 and 30 and 10 and 40 makes 1 hour and 35 minutes.

So if we need to be ready by 3. 3 subtract 1 hour and 35 minutes would mean getting ready at 1:25. Since this is not an option, we better start at 1:15pm which is A.
    sorry the values add up to 1 hour and 45 mins

ReputationRep:
    It could be A, I would say by intuition as you need 50 mins for your journey (so it's cut off to 2:10), but then you also need 55 mins (two things of 30 mins which can be both done at the same time and 25 mins as it's the longest thing left, and you NEED at least 25 mins because if you needed 20, you couldn't do the 25-mins-thing)... does it make any sense to you?

ReputationRep:

There's 25 minutes.

You're right, up until the end. 40+25+30+10 = 105 minutes = 1 hour and 45 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    You need to find the jobs which can be done at the same time. It takes 40mins on the train, and during these 40mins she can read her revision notes (30mins) and also ring her mum (3mins). It takes 10mins to walk to the train station, she could have rang her mum in these 10mins if she wanted to. It takes 30mins for her to watch her tv show, but she can paint her nails at the same time (20mins). It also takes 25mins to wash her hair.

40mins+10mins+30mins+25mins = 105mins = 1hour and 45mins.

3:00pm-1hour and 45mins = 1:15pm

The answer is A

There's 25 minutes.

(Original post by Vincenzo Nasca)
    It could be A, I would say by intuition as you need 50 mins for your journey (so it's cut off to 2:10), but then you also need 55 mins (two things of 30 mins which can be both done at the same time and 25 mins as it's the longest thing left, and you NEED at least 25 mins because if you needed 20, you couldn't do the 25-mins-thing)... does it make any sense to you?

Thanks everyone, it's made sense to me now.

Was a lot simpler than I originally thought :P

If any of you need help with a question, let me know :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    How do other people deal with the time pressure? I can answer all the questions on the paper, I just end up getting to like question 35 with only 15-20 minutes to spare.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I would really appreciate anyone reading and giving feedback on my TSA essay. Handwritten in 23mins ish, excluding planning - please excuse any typos! Thanks!

Should convicted criminals be allowed to vote?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Convicted criminals have been sentenced to prison for undertaking a criminal offence. These can be offences of different severities, and the sentences for different lengths of time - from a few months to life imprisonment.

Voting is used in a democratic society in order for the electorate to decide on whom shall govern their country.

The UN's Declaration of Human Rights states that 'everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression'. This being said, voting is a human right if it to be considered a form of opinion and expression. If one is sent to prison in the UK, this right is removed from them. Is this wrong? Is it a violation of human rights? Some would say yes: for some, prison is about rehabilitation - it is about transforming yourself so that you do not re-offend. Removing a prisoner's right to vote can be dehumanising when they are trying to make themselves a better person. Does removing their opportunity to have a say in who governs them make them a better person? Probably not. It only removes them from society further, leaving them to feel lonely and isolated from the country in which they live. The prisoner is still a citizen of that country, it being a democracy, and are still going to be affected by the choices of politicians, and therefore should have access to the most basic right of the democratic process - a vote.

That being said, that convicted criminal is in prison for a reason. If they cannot be trusted to abide by the law for which they voted, then can they be trusted to help in making a decision that will affect every person living in his country? Children and those who are mentally ill are not given a vote because they cannot be trusted to make an informed decision- should prisoners be treated in the same way?

Similarly, a vote is a symbol of freedom and can be seen as a privilege. For example, women were not given the vote until 1918 after much protesting, well after men had the vote - because it was seen as a privilege. A prison sentence is meant to be a punishment and represent a loss of freedom as it deters people from breaking the law in the first place. This loss of freedom includes the right to vote for who governs your country. One argument is that those who break laws shouldn't make them - can this be said for convicted criminals?

Perhaps a criminals' right to vote should depend on the severity of their crime and the length of their sentence - a system being used in many European countries. Should it depend on their readiness to re-enter society, despite the length of their sentence?

In any case, if prisoners are given the right to vote, politicians might listen to what they have to say. This could result in an improvement in rehabilitation services offered to criminals, possible leading to a reduction in re-offences. This could eventually see a fall in crime and prisoners themselves, and the issue of whether they should have the freedom of voting would no longer be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agap)
    2013: 70,2
    source?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.