Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    Well, the subtext was 'not if you want kids and an upper-middle-class lifestyle in London' :rolleyes: The frustration was that there was just an inability or unwillingness to consider how people outside of their social set (i.e. most of the country) live their lives. It was just incomprehensible to him. Another gem (from someone else) was 'everyone in London has a Polish cleaner'.
    The ignorance of some people does astound me.

ReputationRep:
    Moving around through different families houses every few weeks because we didn't have any money for a place.

When my grand father made my eldest sister her pushchair out of wood.

When we didn't get to eat for a couple of days every week for a few weeks when I was below 10.

When I missed my 6th and 7th birthday out.

Most of my clothes before the age of 10 was second hand from my cousins.

We had 5 channels up until year 5 of school.

Never had a games console growing up like everyone else

ReputationRep:
    I am grateful that i was never in a situation where I had to worry about food. But my parents have had up and downs with their income.

"Poor" moments: when parents werent doing so well and we couldnt afford anything apart from food.
    When i had to stop going to my music lesson.

Rich moments: when dad found a new car he liked and bought it the next day....
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    I started drinking at about 11am
    Left the bar at 3am.

Don't forget there was champagne, lobster, oysters and truffles to pump up the majority of that bill! I didn't intentionally start drinking at 11 though - I ordered a "Virgin Mojito" (a mojito without alcohol) but they just brought me a regular one. So I figured, oh what the hell, why not. It's hardly a porter!
    Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Food or heating.

I have not had any new clothes since I was 16 - that was almost three years ago.

There is often nothing to eat for lunch (perhaps a tin of baked beans. The whole tin.)

I cannot disentangle 'value for money' from 'preference' in my decision to buy things. My preference is what is value for money!

I have never been further from London than Brighton when I was 4, and have never been on holiday since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leftee)
    Hiding when the milkman came for his money was an indication that something was up, financially. :holmes:
    Couldnt stop laughing when I read this! :rofl:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like I'm bragging when I say I grew up (and still am) in a "wow we're well off" topic.

Erm, my Dad used to own a limo company (before he sold it off) and as such I'd sometimes be taken out to places like McDonald's or a really nice car, such as a Bentley or Rolls Royce. Bearing in mind that this was when I was born up until about the age of 12. I began to feel incredibly lucky when my parents said that I was going to a private school, as at first I thought this was something for the very elite.

Whilst it is still a large financial commitment many people wouldn't be able to pay for, this was a bit of a kick in the arse that I shouldn't waste my time there and my parents' money, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VannR)
    Food or heating.

I have not had any new clothes since I was 16 - that was almost three years ago.

There is often nothing to eat for lunch (perhaps a tin of baked beans. The whole tin.)

I cannot disentangle 'value for money' from 'preference' in my decision to buy things. My preference is what is value for money!

I have never been further from London than Brighton when I was 4, and have never been on holiday since.
    Completely understand this. Even now that I have a little bit of money (and that's from student finance) I'm still so reluctant to buy things for the standard retail price as I do not think it is value for money, I see a pair of shoes and think ooh they're nice but when I look at the price I just see 2 weeks worth of food shopping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sid99)
    Moving around through different families houses every few weeks because we didn't have any money for a place.

When my grand father made my eldest sister her pushchair out of wood.

When we didn't get to eat for a couple of days every week for a few weeks when I was below 10.

When I missed my 6th and 7th birthday out.

Most of my clothes before the age of 10 was second hand from my cousins.

We had 5 channels up until year 5 of school.

Never had a games console growing up like everyone else
    I'm sorry to hear you had a hard time growing up, I can sympathise. I hope things are going better for you now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SP0TIFY)
    It sounds like I'm bragging when I say I grew up (and still am) in a "wow we're well off" topic.
    You actually grew up inside a topic?

True privilege. :cool:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    You actually grew up inside a topic?

True privilege. :cool:
    I went full retard, not even going to correct it lmao

ReputationRep:
    When your mum suggests you go to a library to sit and chill with your friends rather than a meal out (costing £3.50)

Ironically, the above was a suggestion after I spent a summer interning in an investment bank. It's more a reflection of what I faced when I was younger than how we are currently. Old habits die hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SP0TIFY)
    I went full retard, not even going to correct it lmao
    Probably a side effect of 'too much, too young'. With me it was Radio 3.

ReputationRep:
    Not being fed at least two days a week. Having to go to the train station praying there were no ticket inspectors because I could never afford a ticket to get to school. Wearing shoes with holes in them for months on end.

Luckily I'm in foster care now though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyseden)
    Not being fed at least two days a week. Having to go to the train station praying there were no ticket inspectors because I could never afford a ticket to get to school. Wearing shoes with holes in them for months on end.

Luckily I'm in foster care now though
    I'm sorry you had a tough time, glad to hear things are looking up for you now

ReputationRep:
    Going to a private school was bitter-sweet in that sense. Before going I would often notice myself being well off compared to my friends, but then at the private school I was suddenly surrounded by millionaires. Me and several other of my well off friends were actually called peasants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can't drink champagne now though. Just gives me a headache after 2 glasses. Never spent nearly as much on one night as I did that night. And I get the feeling that that night is going to be the epitome of my stupid spending for the rest of my life.

ReputationRep:
    I first realised that we are well off when my friends got lost in my house.

ReputationRep:
    Superficially? Probably very early, I mean just turn on TV or open your eyes when your parents took you out in the city and you saw you were well off.

But really noticed it? When I moved to the UK. Before I was places where there were a lot of rich kids, so I always thought I wasn't too well off and I was young too so didn't realize the cost of some of the things. But then when I came to UK that was totally different and by the time sixth form came and others worked in stores and I didn't need to it was very obvious and I was old enough to be fully conscious of it.

ReputationRep:
    Really weird contrast because my parents were poor, but my grandparents were rather well off

lived without a car since I was 10 years old (walked everywhere/public transport) and I was always the only one living this way (so high school sports/activities were really awkward because I either needed rides or had to leave early because of bus schedules )

but...

Got to spend summers with my grandparents going to camp, cruises, and lots of other amazing stuff

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.