Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand why any of you guys didn't study medicine in europe? It would have saved u all this hassle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shakz)
    I dont understand why any of you guys didn't study medicine in europe? It would have saved u all this hassle
    Because we're not all sitting on a pile of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Testmed)
    interesting. But then I guess the quality of applicants to Oxford imposes an unspoken cutoff anyway. If there are lots of applicants with pristine records, it doesnt matter how low the actual cutoff is
    Very true.

(Original post by -inspired-)
    "We hope to broaden the entry criteria to include other graduates within the next few years" is interesting too, most places seem to be going the opposite way
    I was gutted when Kings changed their entry requirements, they won't accept my degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    Very true.
    The Oxford grad course is dominated by PhD holders from what I hear. Both from people on the course and those that applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Because we're not all sitting on a pile of money.
    What? You do know its nearly half the price to study in Europe(such as Bulgaria and Romania)....plus the one my cousin is going to (Pleven Uni) has student finance too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shakz)
    What? You do know its nearly half the price to study in Europe(such as Bulgaria and Romania)....plus the one my cousin is going to (Pleven Uni) has student finance too
    As a first degree or second degree? As far as I'm aware the NHS won't fund me to go to Bulgaria or Romania to train and I've used up the vast majority of my student loan entitlement from my first degree. So unless I win the lottery, I'll be studying in the UK on a 4 year course. Unless you know something I don't...

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently finishing my second year of a Biology degree with the Open Uni, I graduate next year and I thinking about applying to grad med this october for next year.

(I have 4 A levels + 2 AS levels 3 x A* 1 xB & 1 x c[English] from years ago)

I feel very unsure about my degree as it is with the open uni and I have no idea how med schools view this. I have essentially studied for my degree full time whilst working for the NHS full time in clinical support roles and research stuff.

I have five years experience working in the NHS (since I was 18). I volunteer at a hospice as a ward helper once per week and have been doing so for the last six months.

I am due to sit my GAMSAT in sept and BMAT in sept also. I am taking UKCAT in July for practice/experience.

Do you think med schools would just laugh at my application for grad med?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    As a first degree or second degree? As far as I'm aware the NHS won't fund me to go to Bulgaria or Romania to train and I've used up the vast majority of my student loan entitlement from my first degree. So unless I win the lottery, I'll be studying in the UK on a 4 year course. Unless you know something I don't...
    Mate, as a first degree or second ur choice but u didn't need to do a first degree cos u could have just done it in europe instead of doin 2degrees which puts you in more debt after u graduate. just check this website out....u don't need to be involved with the NHS or whatever. Its an agency that does everything for you...from your flight-accomodation-student finance.

http://www.studymedicineeurope.com/faq/costs-fees
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Shakz)
    Mate, as a first degree or second ur choice but u didn't need to do a first degree cos u could have just done it in europe instead of doin 2degrees which puts you in more debt after u graduate. just check this website out....u don't need to be involved with the NHS or whatever. Its an agency that does everything for you...from your flight-accomodation-student finance.

You make it sound as if going to Europe is the magic fix for studying medicine. It really isn't. It has plenty of its own problems and difficulties.

Oh and Studymedicineeurope like to charge a lot of money for the application process, so thats already adding up the costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shakz)

Most people who do GEM didn't decide to do medicine until later in life. If we knew we wanted to be doctors earlier we would have obviously applied for medicine as our first degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    You make it sound as if going to Europe is the magic fix for studying medicine. It really isn't. It has plenty of its own problems and difficulties.

Oh and Studymedicineeurope like to charge a lot of money for the application process, so thats already adding up the costs.
    No it isn't... i have friends and family who are studying medicine/dentistry in Europe that are from the UK. The agency will sort most of that out, u just have to have the valid paperwork. If you don't believe me phone up the agency. Well, yeah studymedicineeurope do have quite a few hidden costs but they do everything for you....my cousin recently went through tutelage and the upfront cost was much less than studymedicineeurope so you could try that. Well, doing a 3 year degree first puts you at a debt of roughly 27k anyway so thats adding up way more costs! plus you don't even know if you'll get into medicine once u graduate, what's the point of going through an extra 3 years. 6 years of med will rack up another 54k, so thats a lovely 81k for you to pay back. Instead, you could easily go to Europe and do the course for roughly 36k for the 6 years. thats less than half the damn price. Some people are so stupid. Why waste 3 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shakz)

Thanks, I'm sure you mean well but I didn't do a Philosophy degree with the intent to become a doctor, that decision happened later so as far as my current debt is concerned, that's water under the bridge. As for my future debt, that's not a concern to me since I'll pay back my loans only once I'm earning above the threshold. To be completely honest with you, it may be more difficult to gain entrance to a UK med school but I'd rather study at a UK med school.

Edit: as for the figures you've mentioned above, the debt from my first degree is much less than that since tuition fees were lower when I went to uni. As for calling some people 'stupid' for doing GEM - you don't actually know people's individual circumstances or why they completed a first degree before deciding on medicine so it's ignorant or you to say those people are stupid...especially on a thread which is specifically about GEM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Most people who do GEM didn't decide to do medicine until later in life. If we knew we wanted to be doctors earlier we would have obviously applied for medicine as our first degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't give me that excuse, nearly all biomed/biochem (90% i'd say) students all dreamed of doing medicine/dentistry when they were in A-levels/GCSE but after there AS RESULTS, they knew they never had the grades......them poor excuses

P.S. 4 of my cousins do biomedicine in different uni's and they have all said the same thing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Shakz)
    I don't know what went wrong with you, but most people do biomed/biochem before doing graduate entry med. Like, whats the point....its a waste of 3 years. In your case its different lol i don't know anyone that went from philosophy-medicine. Did u even do chem/bio at a level? You do know if u get a med degree in europe you don't need to do any further tests.. you can straight away practice in the UK..Life is too tough for excuses like that, don't be a pu***. there are many students even younger than you going to europe. its only 5/6 years and thats it. if you want ur dreams to become true, you gotta go for it mate, as harsh as it sounds. just phone up the agency i told you and they will tell you everything

P.S. i think your chances of getting into med school in the UK are quite low.
    What do you actually know about graduate entry medicine admissions. It seems like you've only come here to advertise SME and antagonise people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    What do you actually know about graduate entry medicine admissions. It seems like you've only come here to advertise SME and antagonise people.
    No not at all, my sister went through GEM and she even regrets it although she is studying med rn. i mean I'm just trying to make a point here. Sorry if you took any offence. i know some people catch feelings quick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shakz)
    Don't give me that excuse, nearly all biomed/biochem (90% i'd say) students all dreamed of doing medicine/dentistry when they were in A-levels/GCSE but after there AS RESULTS, they knew they never had the grades......them poor excuses

P.S. 4 of my cousins do biomedicine in different uni's and they have all said the same thing.
    Wow. All 4 of your cousins said that? It must be true for the entire population then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shakz)
    No not at all, my sister went through GEM and she even regrets it although she is studying med rn. i mean I'm just trying to make a point here. Sorry if you took any offence. i know some people catch feelings quick
    Yeah it's a shame people don't take nicely to you calling them stupid. What narrow minded individuals. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shakz)
    No it isn't... i have friends and family who are studying medicine/dentistry in Europe that are from the UK. The agency will sort most of that out, u just have to have the valid paperwork. If you don't believe me phone up the agency. Well, yeah studymedicineeurope do have quite a few hidden costs but they do everything for you....my cousin recently went through tutelage and the upfront cost was much less than studymedicineeurope so you could try that. Well, doing a 3 year degree first puts you at a debt of roughly 27k anyway so thats adding up way more costs! plus you don't even know if you'll get into medicine once u graduate, what's the point of going through an extra 3 years. 6 years of med will rack up another 54k, so thats a lovely 81k for you to pay back. Instead, you could easily go to Europe and do the course for roughly 36k for the 6 years. thats less than half the damn price. Some people are so stupid. Why waste 3 years?
    Considering this is a thread of people applying for GEM, I think its safe to assume most of the people in this thread already are, or are about to become, graduates. So most of what you are saying about UNDERgrad options are irrelevant. We aren't 18 year olds considering the biochem + GEM route. We are past that stage.

Furthermore, you clearly dont know very much about GEM. Most of the courses are 4 years (rather than 6) and for 3 of those years, the NHS provides funding of 3.5k. Which means the total course will cost 25k in tuition.

So essentially you are comparing 4 years and 25k tuition in the UK, to 6 years and 36k tuition in Europe. Even the lowered cost of living is easily countered by the travel costs from the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    Very true.

I was gutted when Kings changed their entry requirements, they won't accept my degree.
    Me too, I can only apply to three universities now unless I sit the GAMSAT but that would mean taking a year out to revise which I'd rather not do unless I have to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -inspired-)
    Me too, I can only apply to three universities now unless I sit the GAMSAT but that would mean taking a year out to revise which I'd rather not do unless I have to
    Could you not sit the GAMSAT this September? That's what I'm doing - 3 months to prep :afraid: but it's worth the try (and in my case all my uni options bar one requires GAMSAT).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know of a good resource for GEM personal statements? I've read through the TSR Medicine statements but as far as I can see only 1 or 2 of them are GEM statements and I haven't been able to find anything other than tips by Googling. All of the statements I find are by school leavers and I'm trying to figure out how much to include about previous employment/unrelated work experience with transferable skills and how much to include about my motivations for Medicine etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.