Durham offer holders 2015 thread Watch

Zarp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone know if you can do a year abroad if you haven't been accepted for a year abroad course?
Rid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When I visited Durham, the professor in charge of all the PPE admin work was selling the year abroad/placement to me though I hadn't applied with a year abroad. So I assume you can.

Though email the university and check

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elle97
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BitWindy)
Just got A*AA offer for PPE

Still waiting on St Andrews before making any decisions but I think Durham could well be my firm!

Anyone else apply for St John's?
I applied to St. John's for English lit and got my offer in December! Congratulations 🎉🎉

Posted from TSR Mobile
game well and truly over
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Elle97)
I applied to St. John's for English lit and got my offer in December! Congratulations 🎉🎉

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in the ''hoping for Chad's'' camp!! Although that applies to loads I'd imagine...
Jams97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JJLLAA)
Durham, York St Johns, Nottingham Trent and Glasgow. Got an ABB offer form Durham and that's my first choice so I'm very happy!
I loved durham too, but it's so far away from home! (I'm from london)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elle97
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by game well and truly over)
I'm in the ''hoping for Chad's'' camp!! Although that applies to loads I'd imagine...
I loved St. chads but I knew it was really over subscribed which is why I went for Johns, similar size and same position! My friend has an offer for philosophy and has gone for Chads, it's so lovely! Hope you get it!- I'm so impatient to find out 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
thewaiting11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J.Fisher1997)
Durham OR York for biology!?!? HELP!!!
Although Durham is an older prestigious university. York beats Durham hands down for biological sciences. Good luck!
J3SS742
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J.Fisher1997)
No wait you want to study biology too. My bad
Haha its fine! No, I haven't applied to York because it's too close to home ( like, I live right next to the uni), but if I didn't live in York I would've definitely applied there because I think it's supposed to have a really good science department
BristolStudent96
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Starting to give up on the prospect of a Durham offer. Everyone else seems to have heard already.

With A*A*A and 4As at AS, as well as a decent personal statement, I thought I had a good shot at getting in.

It is very frustrating to see people with worse grades than me who have already received offers, without trying to sound too bitter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GeneralStudent95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hewitt)
Starting to give up on the prospect of a Durham offer. Everyone else seems to have heard already.

With A*A*A and 4As at AS, as well as a decent personal statement, I thought I had a good shot at getting in.

It is very frustrating to see people with worse grades than me who have already received offers, without trying to sound too bitter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I currently study law at Durham, and a lot of the people on my course didn't find out until March, and some even later. Don't rule anything out yet, especially with your academic profile.
BitWindy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely seeing offers being given to people you deem inferior should grant you confidence in your application?
elliejohns
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people may just have a really good personal statement and experience in the field they're applying for. It's not all about the grades any more unfortunately even though that is still the biggest factor! I'm sure you'll get accepted though, my friend had to wait till March for her offer so don't worry too much!
RobertCalifornia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Offer for Engineering, so relieved

Posted from TSR Mobile
trubadur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RobertCalifornia)
Offer for Engineering, so relieved

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats:congrats:
ale192
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Got an offer for anthropology and sociology last week!
s081096
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Still waiting on St Andrews before making any decisions but I think Durham could well be my firm!

Congrats! If u dont mind me asking what were ur grades? and when did u apply?
BitWindy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by s081096)
Congrats! If u dont mind me asking what were ur grades? and when did u apply?
I applied in mid-October for the Oxbridge deadline. My grades are above somewhere.
Rid
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Hey, I have an offer for PPE at Durham and one for Eco and IR at St.A's. Deciding between the two aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
elliehyman123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rubgangsci)
I've made an incorrect impression of myself. I actually think Durham is a great university, and I agree with you that your course is very important, but as with all of life you become very much a product of your environment which includes the people around you. I haven't chosen Cambridge for the name, I've chosen it for the type of people it attracts, hard workers. And having been to an open day at Durham, and seeing some of the types of offers they hand out. I'm not too sure I could say the same about Durham, I hope I am wrong however.

I'm sorry if this seems like a harsh response, but you can't be that clever judging by your grammar- comma splicing everywhere! (Offer for English Lit, by the way, providing I get A*AA.)
On a side note, Cambridge is notoriously known for not just looking at predicted grades- the majority of people that apply there have the same predictions as you. It's the interview(s) that they put most weight on.
Furthermore, the AAB offer holder applied for sociology, for which offer holders generally receive lower offers than for, say, more traditional or academic subjects.
I would reccomend not being so patronising next time unless you know all the facts, and DEFINITELY don't get up on your high horse about the intelligence of others unless you are absolutely perfect. This is an offer holders page for what is, despite your opinion, rather a prestigious university; there were bound to be some grammar Nazis lurking in the shadows
Vesper Logan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't give up yet! My school warned me that Durham are always late to reply. Six people in my year applied to Durham and only two of us have heard anything back, so I really wouldn't worry about it! You look like you have a good chance with those grades!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Mon, 1 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.9%
No - but I will (98)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.93%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (602)
47.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise