Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    that's so tragic
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    that's so tragic
    I disagree for the simple reason that, like the "bedroom tax", while at its core it's a decent idea, it's implementation was poor; the "bedroom tax" should only apply when you're offered the opportunity to downscale and refuse it, likewise the citizen's income, given it's ultimately just a benefits overhaul, would be better done as a form of negative income tax so as to keep the bill down by not giving it to those that really don't need it, especially since those that "don't need it" will just pay back their £72 in higher taxes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh, and they decided that decriminalising/legalising membership of terrorist groups was a bad idea

ReputationRep:
    They've also shifted their aim to being a pressure group on the labour party.

ReputationRep:
    The only party worth voting for are Labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I disagree for the simple reason that, like the "bedroom tax", while at its core it's a decent idea, it's implementation was poor; the "bedroom tax" should only apply when you're offered the opportunity to downscale and refuse it, likewise the citizen's income, given it's ultimately just a benefits overhaul, would be better done as a form of negative income tax so as to keep the bill down by not giving it to those that really don't need it, especially since those that "don't need it" will just pay back their £72 in higher taxes.
    I'm sorry but having a policy, and then having it slaughtered so much on day time TV that you're actually convinced yourself that it's crap IS tragic.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm sorry but having a policy, and then having it slaughtered so much on day time TV that you're actually convinced yourself that it's crap IS tragic.
    It's tragic that they thought it a good idea in the first place, anyway, they claim they haven't gotten rid of it entirely, just shelved it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's tragic that they thought it a good idea in the first place, anyway, they claim they haven't gotten rid of it entirely, just shelved it
    Well you just defended it lol.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well you just defended it lol.
    No, I defended the core principle. Citizen's income is a horrible idea since a lot of the people will have the money taken away straight away by the taxes needed to pay for it, the only good thing about it really is that it's a total, well needed, overhaul of the benefits system and, after thinking about it for a moment, if done wrong it would make it VERY good to have lots and lots of children (i.e. the way the media had it done).

I would defend it in as much as a "heart in the right place, brain completely absent".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackL97)
    The only party worth voting for are Labour.
    Ed Miliband though, really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temporary_user)
    Yet your life is factually and infinitely more miserable than anyones
    Thats rude. You remind of AlphaMolecule....MAYBE YOU ARE HIM...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    Ed Miliband though, really?
    Yes. He's not a David Cameron, but he has the right ideas to form an equal society. I see where your skepticism would arise from though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If we assume isidewith has correct information things are rather terrifying:
    Increase corporation tax
    Don't peruse free trade
    [generally] increase taxes
    less restriction on benefits
    increase foreign aid
    decrease military spending
    No HS2
    No to nuclear
    remove fees (and I expect not reduce numbers)
    More immigration
    loosen the definition of terrorism

ReputationRep:
    The main reason I would vote for the Green party is that I know they won't get power, there policy's make no sense economically and would properly make the countries fail if they ever had power. I agree with most of their policy's (when there is no money involved) unlike any of the other parties and if many people vote for them the major parties will be more likely to take there views into account in order to get their votes back, creating something similar to what has happened to Ukip at the moment with immigration. What we really need is a party that is economically viable and also takes the moral views such as the ones proposed by the Green party into account.

ReputationRep:
    Vote for the Greens and hope they become the opposition.

Seeing Cameron and Osborne humiliate them every week would be worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    Vote for the Greens and hope they become the opposition.

Seeing Cameron and Osborne humiliate them every week would be worth it
    Love this idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can always rely on Natalie Bennett for a ****-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcatas)

Zero growth economy?
    They're advocating national suicide. You think the Chinese, Russians, Americans or even the French would tolerate this *******s?

ReputationRep:
    I like the Green Party's policies and I used to be a member, but I ultimately quit, and joined Labour, for two key reasons. Firstly, they seemingly don't know how to implement their policies - if they gained over 326 seats in Parliament, could they fully implement all of their promises? I doubt it. Most of their points are ideal, from the economy to a lack of the monarchy, but they seem to fit into the role of a pressure group (pointing out ideal end results to others) rather than a political party. Secondly, they'll never have much power, mostly due to the nightmarish First Past the Post (I can't believe we still haven't switched to AV+ or STV for general elections), but also due to bad PR, especially recently.

Ideally, all of the Green's pledges would be a reality - I'd certainly like that to be the case. But it's just not feasible. Maybe one day, if we get STV or other PR, then I'll vote for them. But if I could vote this election, and I voted Green, I'd probably just help the Conservatives win in my seat (Morley and Outwood). Ed Balls will be quite lucky to hang on, and his majority was minor in 2010, and if I voted Green it would be one less vote for him, and more chance of a Conservative win. FPTP really sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Or they do and they want to change it:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't change the world by ignoring reality and doing stupid **** that won't work.

The worst part about the Green Party is that they hate anyone with money. It's pathetic. If you have more money than I do you obviously don't deserve it and you deserve to have it all taxed away and be thrown into a council house, and your money should be distributed to everyone as basic income - you work so I don't have to!

Ridiculous.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.