The Student Room Group

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao 2/5

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by kieran101090
How come they not give points for attack but gave handful for defense? Looked like referee were sore looser in real life. I mean floyd was running around ring with elbow poping defense while pacman was throwing punches and punches and still lost the game. That'd some joke there innit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So Pacquiao should have won for throwing more punches even though Mayweather landed more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
So Pacquiao should have won for throwing more punches even though Mayweather landed more?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea if throwing elbow is punch to u then mayweather won defo

Posted from TSR Mobile
How come they not give points for attack but gave handful for defense? Looked like referee were sore looser in real life. I mean floyd was running around ring with elbow poping defense while pacman was throwing punches and punches and still lost the game. That'd some joke there innit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Boxing isn't about throwing more punches, it's about landing them and being able to avoid getting hit.
Depends though. If I land 10 jabs on Tyson, then he shrugs and hits me with a haymaker, who won the exchange?
Flloyd did well running and hugging, and i guess he did technically beat a manny out of his prime, but because of his negative tactics boxing is now on the major decline.

[video="youtube;jUDX5vZ7GeQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUDX5vZ7GeQ[/video]
[video="youtube;7SVMBNCQSBc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SVMBNCQSBc[/video]
If anyone thinks Manny won, watch the fight again in a few weeks or months. You can be far too emotionally involved when it comes to judging these things live. I watched the Mayweather vs De La Hoya fight live and I had De La Hoya a narrow winner at the time. When I saw the fight again last week, it wasnt even close. Mayweather won easily.

People complaining about the quality of the fight is funny as well. What else do you expect? You can count the amount of exciting fights Mayweather has had on one hand, with fingers spare.
Original post by TheMagicRat
If anyone thinks Manny won, watch the fight again in a few weeks or months. You can be far too emotionally involved when it comes to judging these things live. I watched the Mayweather vs De La Hoya fight live and I had De La Hoya a narrow winner at the time. When I saw the fight again last week, it wasnt even close. Mayweather won easily.

People complaining about the quality of the fight is funny as well. What else do you expect? You can count the amount of exciting fights Mayweather has had on one hand, with fingers spare.

No-one thinks Manny won in the technical stance. What we argue is Mayweathers totally negative tactics, hugging manny all of the time, running away and running around the ring, playing like a football team that get all 10 defenders in the penalty area.

This was a Manny out of his prime imho, and it wasn't helped by those tactics we knew he was going to do anyway.

Mayweather killed boxing imho, the world was watching, boxing could have been given a boost like no other, and he shows up and hugs manny, runs around, barely at all goes toe to toe because he knows he would have been knocked out, getting the jab here and there.

Boxing is an entertainment sport, not a snoozefest.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 528
Yea if throwing elbow is punch to u then mayweather won defo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess people just always want to see the best fall

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its not about Mayweather's 'negative' tactics the guy knows how to win and is the best technical boxer out there.
Mayweather is on another level and completely deserved to win, Pac had no answer to him and could barely connect any decent shots.
Also, what's this bull**** about Pacman being out of his prime. Was Mayweather in his? Stop making excuses and accept the better man won.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
Its not about Mayweather's 'negative' tactics the guy knows how to win and is the best technical boxer out there.
I'm a Pac man and wanted him to win but Mayweather is on another level and completely deserved to win, Pac had no answer to him and could barely connect any decent shots.
Also, what's this bull**** about Pacman being out of his prime. Was Mayweather in his? Stop making excuses and accept the better man won.

A defensive fighter has a better shef life than an explosive fighter like manny. Look at any sport, defenders last longer than explosive strikers.

Additionally, mayweather is a great fighter, a genius, but a genius in winning points, hugging, slowing down a fight, running, escaping.

It killed boxing, and it killed the entertainment.
On the surface, people are complaining about Mayweather's tactics. In truth, it's a complaint on how fights are decided.

This is a guy who has seen a sort of loophole in that he can win a fight by having the slight edge in a few rounds, winning 10-9, and thus the split or unanimous decision. If he can KO someone along the way, great. If not, still win on decision. The risk is that more young boxers are going to catch on to this, because who wants to be concussed? I don't see boxing being open to changing the rules to combat it. At that point boxing will be in the **** eventually.
Original post by Tawheed
A defensive fighter has a better shef life than an explosive fighter like manny. Look at any sport, defenders last longer than explosive strikers.

Additionally, mayweather is a great fighter, a genius, but a genius in winning points, hugging, slowing down a fight, running, escaping.

It killed boxing, and it killed the entertainment.

Typical pac fans can't handle that he got outboxed. Don't get hit. Its boxing 101.
He clearly hasn't killed the sport, his technical ability is miles above everyone else that they can't handle the fact that he has an answer to every opponent. I guess you think to people going at is entertainment. Try WWE, you clearly have no grasp in the concept of boxing.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
More and more convinced Floyd will win by KO not UD.

That overhand right is so sick

Hehe
Manny knew the type of fighter Floyd is so he should have came with a game plan. What was he doing the past few months? Recording songs?
Original post by Wade-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Floyd threw more too!!

Manny's gameplan was horrible. He and Roach should be ashamed of themselves tbh.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Floyd threw more too!!

Manny's gameplan was horrible. He and Roach should be ashamed of themselves tbh.

He was injured! Between his right shoulder and David Haye's dodgy toe they're surely entitled to some DSA.

The fight is over. Just laugh about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Boxing is an awesome sport yet it's also a very funny one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 539
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Floyd threw more too!!

I know, it seems like people think Pac should have won because he looked more willing to come forward - Floyd is similar to Jose Mourinho, it may not always be entertaining but he'll find a way to win

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest