Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1lastchance)
    Have rejections been given out yet?
    We're probably not going to hear anything until after the 30th. Don't quote me on this, but on the BM6 2015 Entry thread, I seem to recall that rejections were given out after interviews. Not 100% on this btw.
    ----

Question: I sent my form and docs a couple of days ago and got an email saying that they haven't screened the stuff I sent yet. If there's a mistake in my docs, will they get back to me or will they reject me automatically seeing as there's only 3 days left until the deadline.

What their email said: "However, at present it has not been checked or screened and if we need any further information we will contact you at a later date."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melanin101)
    We're probably not going to hear anything until after the 30th. Don't quote me on this, but on the BM6 2015 Entry thread, I seem to recall that rejections were given out after interviews. Not 100% on this btw.
    ----

Question: I sent my form and docs a couple of days ago and got an email saying that they haven't screened the stuff I sent yet. If there's a mistake in my docs, will they get back to me or will they reject me automatically seeing as there's only 3 days left until the deadline.

What their email said: "However, at present it has not been checked or screened and if we need any further information we will contact you at a later date."
    I was thinking about the same thing. What if there is a mistake, would you get rejected automatically or would they send it back so you can correct it. U have sent it like 2-3 weeks ago, got the same e-mail as you, but nothing after it. Not even a confirmation that my details are correct or anything. Makes me nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaphBruh)
    I was thinking about the same thing. What if there is a mistake, would you get rejected automatically or would they send it back so you can correct it. U have sent it like 2-3 weeks ago, got the same e-mail as you, but nothing after it. Not even a confirmation that my details are correct or anything. Makes me nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wont even let me send the email in the first place?? Every time I send it it just says failed wtf

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

For the form with all the eligibility stuff on it, will a stamped and signed letter from my school count as correct documentation for the eligibility criteria for the 16-19 bursary?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PipesnHalfs)
    Hey,

For the form with all the eligibility stuff on it, will a stamped and signed letter from my school count as correct documentation for the eligibility criteria for the 16-19 bursary?

Cheers
    Hi, it should do, it said on the FAQs that a confirmation letter from the school would be required so that's what I did. I also found a letter in my drawer saying that they reviewed my application etc. and will give me a bursary of x amount for the academic year, so I put both even though I'm sure that's fine, I just put it as an extra coz I had it :P

ReputationRep:
    Ah sweet, cheers. Is the confirmation email a simple acknowledgement of the receipt or anything more substantial?

ReputationRep:
    Btw do they require you to take 4 AS levels, I only took three and am taking these at A2 (Bio, Chem and economics)?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by drjay24)
    Btw do they require you to take 4 AS levels, I only took three and am taking these at A2 (Bio, Chem and economics)?

Nope. Just 3 A2. It's BM5 ( the 5 year standard entry) that requires a 4th AS.

ReputationRep:
    When do they start giving out interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by qwerty123A)
    When do they start giving out interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dec-March
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Next Step: Interviews

What happens next?
    After eligibility is interviews.

How do they decide who to interview?
    If you meet all the criteria, they will review your PS and rate it on the non-academic entry requirements.

Non-academic entry requirementsIn addition to academic entry requirements, you will be assessed against our non academic criteria.Applicants must be able to show they:
    • Are self-motivated and resilient
    • Have reflected on and learnt from life experiences (this may include, work experience, paid employment and personal experiences both in and outside health and socialcare settings)
    • Can communicate effectively
    • Are able to interact successfully with others
    • Can demonstrate an understanding of the values of the NHS constitution
    When are interviews?
    3rd of March and 7th of March.

When will I hear?
    You will get 2 weeks notice so mid to late February.

How will I hear?
    This was a letter but last year some people got emails. Check both.

How many interviews will there be?
    120 as usual.

Someone has an interview but I haven't heard yet, what does that mean?
    Nothing at all. There is no rank for interviews. They decide who is getting one and everyone in that lucky list will get one eventually.

How should I prepare for interview?
    Read your personal statement.
    Read it.
    No seriously, read it.

Read the news starting now. Read BBC News Health section if you don't buy a paper regularly. Check NHS Behind the Headlines to get the real understanding.

THIS is how I prepared and is a good place to start. And then here is what happened at my interview.

DO NOT search out people to tell you what you will be asked. It will not help. You'll be too rehearsed or you simply won't be asked those questions and wont be prepared for that whey do ask. No 2 interviews are the same.

Where can I practice?
    Your college should offer mock interviews.
    I'm also happy to do interviews over skype or IM. Drop me a PM.

What will happen on the day?
    You will have 2 interviews. 1 on your own with 2 interviewers and one in a group. These can happen in either order and you'll spend the rest of your time there in your group with some current medical students relaxing and chatting.

Who are the interviewers?
    These are lecturers, doctors, teachers, admissions staff. Huge variety.

What is the individual interview?
    This is a 20 minute interview based loosely on your personal statement with 2 interviewers. You can be asked a range of questions depending on what you have written. Expect - Why medicine? Why here?

What is the group interview?
    This is also 20 minutes but you're also given 5 minutes to prepare. You'll be given a topic for discussion and after having 5 minutes to think about it, you will discuss it as a group in front of 2 interviewers.

What questions will come up?
    I've listed 2 almost universal questions above. Otherwise the rest will vary enormously from person to person depending on what they say and what is in the PS. People get asked about the history of medicine, the future of medicine, books they mentioned they read, hobbies, ethics, law. Each interview is totally unique and so there isn't any point in trying to work out what you'll be asked.

Just practice answering anything (use the link to my blog on how I prepared) because that is the best way to a) come across unrehearsed and b) be able to answer complete curve ball questions.

What happens after interviews?
    You'll get a letter saying if you have been successful or unsuccessful. If this is going to take a while you may get a "further consideration" letter that says you're still in the running. This may not happen until March/April, even if others hear before you.

How do they choose?
    After each task, you will be listed as "suitable" or "not suitable". This is then taken into consideration with the rest of your application before an offer is made.

How will I get an offer?
    This is an update on UCAS Track and then a letter follows.

What is the offer?
    The offer is the same for everyone (BBC in any of your subjects (ie you don't need to get B's in specific subjects).

Is it conditional or unconditional?
    Last year a few people got unconditional offers but these are reserved for people with their A levels in hand and proven. Everyone else gets an unconditional offer until they get their results or prove old results.
    If it is conditional and you send in your certificates, they may not update your status until August Results Day.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys know if people that apply to BM5 and are ineligible are still considered for BM6? Or are they just directly rejected?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    Do you guys know if people that apply to BM5 and are ineligible are still considered for BM6? Or are they just directly rejected?
    They will just reject you. You have to apply to BM6 to be considered for it.

BM6 applicants have to submit proof of their eligibility before they get invited to interview. BM5 students don't do this so the university will have no way of knowing that you're eligible for BM6 from your BM5 application. They cannot check every rejected BM5 student for eligibility especially as BM6 already has far more applicants per place than BM5.

Anecdotally, if your BM6 class ends up with too many students after results day, and you meet the BM5 criteria, it isn't unheard of for students to be offered a place on BM5 bypassing BM6. This is done at the university's discretion and anyone who meets the BM5 criteria is not automatically bumped into BM5, nor are they entitled to do so just on the basis of their exam results. It is only if there are too many BM6ers, and spaces on BM5.

It is very rare. But it does happen.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by nkb01)
    Anyone heard anything back?

I'm buzzing
    BM4 is currently interviewing so it might not be long, but be prepared to wait until after Christmas. It might be earlier, but for most people it will be after. If you assume it is later you won't be disappointed and if it is earlier you'll be pleasantly surprised!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    BM4 is currently interviewing so it might not be long, but be prepared to wait until after Christmas. It might be earlier, but for most people it will be after. If you assume it is later you won't be disappointed and if it is earlier you'll be pleasantly surprised!
    On the website it says interviews for BM6 are in March, so we won't hear for a while right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by drjay24)
    On the website it says interviews for BM6 are in March, so we won't hear for a while right?
    If that's what they're saying then yeah, yoi won't hear until February. The last 4 or 5 years interviews have started in January but there have been a lot of changes recently and if they're saying March then I would go with that!

ReputationRep:
    I got an email feom southampton saying that my application is still in process. Did anyone else get that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got an email feom southampton saying that my application is still in process. Did anyone else get that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah me too!

ReputationRep:
    have rejections been handed out at all does anyone know?
    cheers

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.