This discussion is closed.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
I thought we were judging politicians by policy and not by the class of individual MPs :/
I'm judging by what they do. Backbenchers support their working class constituents but the executive members can only claim welfare and the abolition of zero hour contracts to support the working class

Posted from TSR Mobile
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
When is the next TSR Election?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
When is the next TSR Election?
Conincides with the RL Election

Posted from TSR Mobile
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Conincides with the RL Election

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sweet, may run as an indie for Lulz :awesome:
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm judging by what they do. Backbenchers support their working class constituents but the executive members can only claim welfare and the abolition of zero hour contracts to support the working class
What's even the evidence for that? Because it really sounds lie you're basing it on their class origins. You realise the 'executive members' used to be backbenchers right?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's even the evidence for that? Because it really sounds lie you're basing it on their class origins. You realise the 'executive members' used to be backbenchers right?
Of course. But to get votes you have to appeal to the majority. The majority are not working class. That much is surely obvious.

And what else have Labour pledged for the working class?

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of course. But to get votes you have to appeal to the majority. The majority are not working class. That much is surely obvious.

And what else have Labour pledged for the working class?
What Labour have or haven't pledged is irrelevant to the distinction you've made between the shadow cabinet and the backbenchers. It seems to me like you've just made a assumption based on the idea that politicians appeal to the majority (of course they do) but don't have any reality to back it up.

Am I supposed to prove your point for you? You not knowing the policies isn't evidence...
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What Labour have or haven't pledged is irrelevant to the distinction you've made between the shadow cabinet and the backbenchers. It seems to me like you've just made a assumption based on the idea that politicians appeal to the majority (of course they do) but don't have any reality to back it up.

Am I supposed to prove your point for you? You not knowing the policies isn't evidence...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-Britain.html

And no, you are supposed to prove my point wrong, which you clearly haven't done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-Britain.html

And no, you are supposed to prove my point wrong, which you clearly haven't done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, actually you're supposed to substantiate your comments when you make them. I'm supposed to prove you're wrong? Btw there's an invisible meteor heading for Earth. I don't need to prove it - prove me wrong please.

(btw I've read that article when it came out - thanks for the Daily Mail info though - top class)
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lol, actually you're supposed to substantiate your comments when you make them. I'm supposed to prove you're wrong? Btw there's an invisible meteor heading for Earth. I don't need to prove it - prove me wrong please.

(btw I've read that article when it came out - thanks for the Daily Mail info though - top class)
In a debate, you must prove one another wrong. I have shown evidence that a Labour backbencher believes the party has strayed away from its core principles.

You have provided no evidence whatsoever to suggest Labour still support the working class.

I'll admit, The Daily Mail isn't ideal, but a source is a source. It's not like I read it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And anyway, 'losing touch' and 'drifting' are nowhere near enough to change an entire party's identity. That's rich coming from a Liberal.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In a debate, you must prove one another wrong. I have shown evidence that a Labour backbencher believes the party has strayed away from its core principles.

You have provided no evidence whatsoever to suggest Labour still support the working class.

I'll admit, The Daily Mail isn't ideal, but a source is a source. It's not like I read it.
And I don't believe Lammy's comments mean that Labour isn't a working class party. He'd be the first to reject the misappropriation of his comments. Therefore I'll further stipulate that you've provided no evidence. Whilst the evidence that Labour is a working class party is evident for anyone who looks for it. What they did even as New Labour and what they've pledged to do under Miliband.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And anyway, 'losing touch' and 'drifting' are nowhere near enough to change an entire party's identity. That's rich coming from a Liberal.
My Political beliefs have nothing to do with the Labour Party. That's just petty.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My Political beliefs have nothing to do with the Labour Party. That's just petty.
???
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And I don't believe Lammy's comments mean that Labour isn't a working class party. He'd be the first to reject the misappropriation of his comments. Therefore I'll further stipulate that you've provided no evidence. Whilst the evidence that Labour is a working class party is evident for anyone who looks for it. What they did even as New Labour and what they've pledged to do under Miliband.
If it's evident, why have others on this thread argued that Labour isn't a working class class and you're the only one that has?
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you mean the Liberal Party? If not I don't know what you're talking about.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you mean the Liberal Party? If not I don't know what you're talking about.
No, I meant the Labour Party. We are debating the Labour Party. The fact that I'm a Liberal has nothing to do with if Labour supports the Working Class.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, I meant the Labour Party. We are debating the Labour Party. The fact that I'm a Liberal has nothing to do with if Labour supports the Working Class.
Actually its all relative. The fact that you're holding the Labour Party to different standards to your own Party is wholly relevant.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Actually its all relative. The fact that you're holding the Labour Party to different standards to your own Party is wholly relevant.
I completely disagree, as I have never said my own party supports the working class or is more supporting of the working class than Labour. I am simply stating that Labour does not support the working class.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I completely disagree, as I have never said my own party supports the working class or is more supporting of the working class than Labour. I am simply stating that Labour does not support the working class.
I seem to recall you did say that. But as long as your happy with the fact that the Liberals don't support the working class then that's fine.

Regardless, Labour supports the working class. Obviously. Just take an actual look at even their more famous policies.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (59)
67.05%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.36%

Watched Threads