The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ni4mhhh
for the last question which asked about analysing data i said a dispersion diagram? Not really sure if this is correct, it can be used to analyse because from the results you can obtain the interquartile range, upper quartile, lower quartile and the range... Still not convinced this is what they were asking though, feel like I should have described spearman's rank instead :frown:

It would have been valid if you stated that you could work out the interquartile range or do standard deviation to see the spread of the data and then stating the implications for how this could help you accept your null or alternative hypothesis because the spread of data is significant.

I did Spearman's rank by the way because it is very easy to explain why it was data analysis e.g. saying it shows you the direction of the relationship which was negative in our case and that it also shows whether this is significant and not down to chance which other techniques like a scatter graph cannot do. Making it very easy for us to reject the null hypothesis.
Original post by thatgr
**** in the last q I talked about scatter graphs rather than the spearmans rank gg

You can talk about either (or both) - so you're fine!
Original post by Michael51
Yes I said it tested 95% statistically significant, but I had to rush that sentence as time was up, so I think whoever's marking it will have a hard time reading xD

In my opinion You should be fine. Don't worry yourself.
Original post by Sacred Ground
It seems you routed the answer separately rather than encorporating it as a whole number, try doing 111556.22/12 and square root now as a whole calculation, you should get 90 something I just can't remember the real number.

I typed it up as a whole on the calculator. Really not sure why it came out wrong
Can anyone remember the questions

I will try although I don't remember the mark allocation

1 Compare Belle Heath and Belle Vue 5 marks

2 Standard deviation test 6 marks

3 Describe and comment on the standard deviation test calculated while also using the data in figure 3 6 marks

4 Trip line graph 2 marks?

5 Describe and comment ion the pattern shown in figures 4a and 4b 6marks

this does add up to 25

Section B

1 Describe the advantages of your field work location 5 marks

2 Describe one method of data collection and justify the use of this technique 8 marks

3 Distinguish between quantitative and qualitative data 4 marks

4 describe one method of data analysis and outline the advantages of this technique 8marks

again adds up to 25 so must be correct. The questions may not be 100% accurate but that was the jist of what they were asking.

Hope this helps for anyone who wants to do an unofficial mark scheme or something
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah that's right. Although on section B, Point 3 came before point 2
Original post by harishkohli
Yeah that's right. Although on section B, Point 3 came before point 2

I'll correct that then :smile:
Original post by Dieselblue
I typed it up as a whole on the calculator. Really not sure why it came out wrong

Do you do maths or something where you can switch the mode on the scientific calculators?

I always reset my calculator before exams (because I don't do maths so my calculator doesn't get touched before geography exams lol) to make sure it is on the normal setting.:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 528
Original post by kingdoo
I'll correct that then :smile:

You were right first time, definitely went 5, 8, 4, 8!
Original post by ocj98
You were right first time, definitely went 5, 8, 4, 8!

That's what I edited it to.:smile: I did 5, 4, 8, 8 the first time.:smile:

Made me happy that I will have only lost 2 marks on the trip lines rather than 4 which what I believed before writing them all down. :smile:
Reply 530
Original post by kingdoo
That's what I edited it to.:smile: I did 5, 4, 8, 8 the first time.:smile:

Made me happy that I will have only lost 2 marks on the trip lines rather than 4 which what I believed before writing them all down. :smile:

Ohhhh, i see, never mind me, how come, what did you do?
Original post by ocj98
Ohhhh, i see, never mind me, how come, what did you do?

I did 0.5cm for the scale which meant they were really big. Or at least it was really big for the first 1 although still smaller than the ones to Manchester so maybe the scale was right. Edit: I actually know this was incorrect just looked up should have been much smaller.

I spoke to people after the exam saying that you needed to change the scale or something.

But either way I would rather mess that up than the standard deviation question because you could still have gotten full marks on the describe and comment on the maps using the other information given. Whereas you cannot with the the question which asked to describe and comment on the standard deviation figure because if you got it wrong you cannot describe it.:smile:

Everything else was straight forward I thought though. Section B was a dream paper.

How did you find it?

Just out of interest when comparing the 2 settlements did you say Belle Heath was part of the rural/urban fringe or was a rural settlement. Everyone I spoke to put rural/urban fringe which is what I put but I thought after the exam that it was quite far away from the main town for it to be classed as rural/urban. I think they will mark either though so I don't think it will really matter.:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
The skills section went terribly for me other than the standard deviation question. The desire line graph and OS map questions were all awful. Thankfully, the fieldwork section went really well!
Reply 533
Original post by kingdoo
I did 0.5cm for the scale which meant they were really big. Or at least it was really big for the first 1 although still smaller than the ones to Manchester so maybe the scale was right. Edit: I actually know this was incorrect just looked up should have been much smaller.

I spoke to people after the exam saying that you needed to change the scale or something.

But either way I would rather mess that up than the standard deviation question because you could still have gotten full marks on the describe and comment on the maps using the other information given. Whereas you cannot with the the question which asked to describe and comment on the standard deviation figure because if you got it wrong you cannot describe it.:smile:

Everything else was straight forward I thought though. Section B was a dream paper.

How did you find it?

Just out of interest when comparing the 2 settlements did you say Belle Heath was part of the rural/urban fringe or was a rural settlement. Everyone I spoke to put rural/urban fringe which is what I put but I thought after the exam that it was quite far away from the main town for it to be classed as rural/urban. I think they will mark either though so I don't think it will really matter.:smile:

Yeah thats true! I put Bomere Heath was Rural purely because of the reasons you stated, that it looked too far out to be classed as RU fringe, but yeah i don't think they'll mind either way.

I did forget to mention that Belle Vue was inner city though :/

Paper two was compromised of questions i hoped would come up, which was great!
Original post by Sacred Ground
Did you put the whole number including the square root into the calculator? Or did you do 111556.22/12 then square root that answer?

The second one -- 111556.22 / 12, then I wrote down the answer from the calculator and square rooted it. That method always worked for me before, but then I'd usually use a slightly different formula, so I'm guessing it probably doesn't for this one. :s-smilie:
Original post by ocj98
Yeah thats true! I put Bomere Heath was Rural purely because of the reasons you stated, that it looked too far out to be classed as RU fringe, but yeah i don't think they'll mind either way.

I did forget to mention that Belle Vue was inner city though :/

Paper two was compromised of questions i hoped would come up, which was great!

OK that seems good. I also didn't mention that Belle Vue was an inner city, I just said it was in an urban area because the area looked quite small I thought to be classed as a city? Although too be honest the characteristics of a town and a city can be very similar so just saying it was urban and high population density ect would have been fine.
Reply 536
Original post by kingdoo
I thought it was about the same as last years paper.

It was marked incredibly harshly last year and that was the reason why the boundaries were low I beleive. For example, I saw a friends paper which he had gotten a C on, this was because they were really harsh at giving out the marks. For example he described one of the graphs where the question was describe the pattern they gave no marks if you hadn't explicitly said something like the pattern clearly shows that x is higher than y ect.

I would say the question on desire lines and standard deviation will be a big discriminator because you couldn't answer the 5 marker after the standard deviation test if you had got it wrong because it directly asked you to refer to your calculation. The desire line graph was quite hard to see the general pattern as well.

But section B was 100x easier than last years paper. So I think grade boundaries will be relatively the same this year.

Section B is always marked harsher than section A, the reason this year will be lower is because, If you got the Standard deviation question wrong (which people seemed to do) this means you lost about 2 marks there & about 3 marks on the next bit, combined with people missing the 2 marker, worst case scenario is that the boundaries stay the same, I think that its gonna be around 31 for an A this year.
Original post by JTBullen
People are getting 30.01 or something similar around 30 because they didn't put all the 1's in 111556.22/12

I made this mistake at first and then when I went back to check I had put into the calculator 11556.22/12

The correct answer is 90.0 something

Mm, this must be what I did wrong (I got 30.something too)
Thanks for pointing that out.
Reply 538
The Answer was 96.42, if you missed out one of the 1's and did Root of 11556.22/12, the answer comes out at 31.03

Easy mistake to make and harsh of them to put so many repeated figures in, i think so anyway!
Original post by Rstlss
Section B is always marked harsher than section A, the reason this year will be lower is because, If you got the Standard deviation question wrong (which people seemed to do) this means you lost about 2 marks there & about 3 marks on the next bit, combined with people missing the 2 marker, worst case scenario is that the boundaries stay the same, I think that its gonna be around 31 for an A this year.

I actually meant that for section A which was marked very harshly last year despite the mark schemes they released which seemed very basic.

Section B is normally marked harshly because people don't give enough detail, especially for the questions that that ask you to describe how you did something. E.g. the 8 markers which asked to describe 1 method of primary data collection and 1 method of data analysis which needs to be replicable. If someone who read your instructions couldn't replicate it you will be capped and will lose marks. But if they can you will easily get full marks for the description.

Then for data collection you had to justify its use. So for example, I talked about our bedload survey and said this technique was very important for working out the bedload size at each cross section of the river, enabling us to give a mean average. This therefore helped me to accept/reject the second part of our alternative hypothesis that bedload size will decrease downstream. Added a bit more detail but you see the point.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest