Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have an idea on how the 4 marks on the end question about area will be distributed?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got that too but I didn't have time to simplify it so my final answer was root 8000 over 2 (I came out of the exam and simplified it and it would've been 20root5) ..though some people said that's wrong because I used the wrong height (for 1/2xbh area of triangle)...which is why I think some people are saying they got 40??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madhutty)
    I would disagree strongly, this seemed like a very average paper to me. The only difficult questions were finding k and the final area question.

Also it's better to assume you have a lower mark than you actually have so you don't get complacent!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes!The two questions you mentioned were the two I struggled with!
    Yeah, I'll just forget about C1 now.C2 next!

ReputationRep:
    What happens if you don't simplify fractions, is that marks lost automatically? For instance, on the graph I put the x axis point of intersection as 6/4, not 3/2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacDaddy101)
    does anyone have an idea on how the 4 marks on the end question about area will be distributed?
    I would like to know this too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renzhi10122)
    I think the differentiation one was f'(x)=-3x^2+10x-3 and f(x)=-x^3+5x^2-3x+15? Which is f(x)=(5-x)(x^2+3)
    Any idea how many marks this was??

ReputationRep:
    FP1 is cancelled tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiilywest)
    What happens if you don't simplify fractions, is that marks lost automatically? For instance, on the graph I put the x axis point of intersection as 6/4, not 3/2
    how did you get 6/4 ? i got it as (2x-3) so it had to be 3/2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe-jessica)
    Ah thank you! Completely forgot about that quadratic one, the answers I got were -8 and 27 though so I'll go with these as being right Can't remember the differentiation question for the life of me, it was something like f(x)=(x^2+7)(8-x) and you had to find f'(x). I'll edit my post now though, thanks again
    How did you do 9 iii?

ReputationRep:
    For the 1/x-2 graph transformation, in my head I suddenly decided it was a 1/x^2 graph and put 1/(x-2)^2, is this going to lose me that mark do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlieukharris)
    I would like to know this too
    Answer to last part of question 10: You had to put x=0 into the ?circle?(not sure if it was a circle or a curve- can't remember) equation and then solve to find Q, to give you a set of coordinates. Then put x=0 into the straight line tangent equation to find R(can't remember if it was P or R) to find the final set of coordinates for the triangle. I then drew the graph and plotted the 3 points. It was not a right angled triangle on its own. Therefore I then drew a line from (8,2)-one of the points, to the y-axis, splitting the triangle into 2 right angled triangles. Then I just calculated the area of the two triangles separately and added them together to get 40 Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    someone pls help with how many marks i have lost
    *for the 2nd q i think, i left an answer as 625root5, instead of writing it as 5^k
    *for some line one i think that i wrote 6x+8y-29=0 (think) instead of -8y
    *for the inequality one, i wrote k as k>25/8 with no minus and sign wrong way round
    *and for same question of the graph, for the values of x>0 i wrote answer with signs wrong way round again
    *and lastly area of triangle, i wrote 40 then crossed it out and wrote 50, but how many marks for finding Q and R, and writing that area=1/2basexheight ?

thanksss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella_chloe)
    how did you get 6/4 ? i got it as (2x-3) so it had to be 3/2
    probably just factorised differently, 6/4 is the same as 3/2 but I'm not sure if they'd lose marks for not changing to simplest form?

(Original post by eddy29)
    How did you do 9 iii?
    Put your solution for a back into the differential and make this equal to 0. Factorising this gave you, I think, (3x-1)(x+4) = 0 or something similar, so you know the x coordinate of the other TP is going to be 1/3.

ReputationRep:
    less than -25/8

(Original post by ella_chloe)
    someone pls help with how many marks i have lost
    *for the 2nd q i think, i left an answer as 625root5, instead of writing it as 5^k
    *for some line one i think that i wrote 6x+8y-29=0 (think) instead of -8y
    *for the inequality one, i wrote k as k>25/8 with no minus and sign wrong way round
    *and for same question of the graph, for the values of x>0 i wrote answer with signs wrong way round again
    *and lastly area of triangle, i wrote 40 then crossed it out and wrote 50, but how many marks for finding Q and R, and writing that area=1/2basexheight ?

thanksss
    1) Possibly 1 out of 2 for the second question.
    2) Provided your method was right for the line question and it was just a stupid mistake copying down, you should only lose the 1 accuracy mark.
    3) Did you find the discriminant of the equation and make it less than 0? This would be worth method marks.
    4) You might get 1 out of 2. If you drew your graph wrong it might be counted as ecf.
    5) Should only be the 1 lost mark for accuracy again.

Not 100% sure on these but that's what I'd guess at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exephy)
    probably just factorised differently, 6/4 is the same as 3/2 but I'm not sure if they'd lose marks for not changing to simplest form?
    yeahh i know but was just confused, they should still give you the marks yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty1357)
    less than -25/8
    Phew, I got the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eajeaj1997)
    Any idea how many marks this was??
    No sorry, but I don't think it's more than 3 for that part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madhutty)
    The question about the stretch of -1/x

The answer is as follows:

Stretch
    Scale factor 1/3
    In EITHER direction

THIS GRAPH (http://puu.sh/hLU2t/a0228020ae.png) shows the pre-stretch graph, and the post-stretch graph.
    So you must state it was a stretch in both the x and y directions? Or will you still get the marks if you say x or y?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.