Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celiajacobs)
    In the F331 exam for the double beta decay question I wrote for the answer '^0-1ß + ^0-1ß' will I lose the marks?
    I'm not sure, i did this too,

I think 1 mark will be lost. But is not wrong.

Ps. Don't worry bout F331 now. Its done. F332 is where its at now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vuvuzela)
    I'm not sure, i did this too,

I think 1 mark will be lost. But is not wrong.

Ps. Don't worry bout F331 now. Its done. F332 is where its at now
    why is that wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSD07)
    why is that wrong?
    Its not wrong as i said. The problem is this is salters. So if you are totting up marks, trivial things like this knock off a mark. Could be right coukd be wrong

ReputationRep:
    Sorry one last question, I got really confused about what was being asked on the silicate question and wrote Si4+, would I not get the mark for that either?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry one last question, I got really confused about what was being asked on the silicate question and wrote Si4+, would I not get the mark for that either?
    No it's wrong. 0

ReputationRep:
    No it's wrong. 0
    Okay thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Okay thankyou!
    Was it Si4-?

ReputationRep:
    Its not wrong as i said. The problem is this is salters. So if you are totting up marks, trivial things like this knock off a mark. Could be right coukd be wrong
    Yeah but I don't see why they would knock a mark off, that's what I'm saying, like what would have been the perfect answer??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie7knight7)
    Was it Si4-?
    SiO3 2-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any idea what long questions might come up on F332?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forceflow1)
    Anyone got any idea what long questions might come up on F332?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably the greenhouse effect one and the ozone one because they come up almost every year.. and maybe they might give 2 compounds and ask us to discuss their intermolecular forces and why one is dissolving in water and why the other is not and why one is stronger than the other etc..

ReputationRep:
    This comes up in the OCR B Salters spec, anyone know what it means / how you would answer it??? Its talking about electrophilic addition mechanism

"explain how the products obtained when other anions are present confirm the model of the mechanism"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSD07)
    This comes up in the OCR B Salters spec, anyone know what it means / how you would answer it??? Its talking about electrophilic addition mechanism

"explain how the products obtained when other anions are present confirm the model of the mechanism"
    I believe it's referring to the carbocation intermediate being attackable by both Cl- and Br- in electrophilic addition

Happens when Br2 undergoes electrophilic addition while Cl- is present

Probably would still occur in most mechanism tho
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I did this exam. Memories

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyricalvibe)
    I believe it's referring to the carbocation intermediate being attackable by both Cl- and Br- in electrophilic addition

Happens when Br2 undergoes electrophilic addition while Cl- is present

Probably would still occur in most mechanism tho
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    would you mind explain that further in more detail?? i really don't get it. thanks, appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSD07)
    would you mind explain that further in more detail?? i really don't get it. thanks, appreciate it
    No problem
    Flag me on whichever parts your unclear on
    The dashed arrows i don't think are official chemistry but are to show possible electron movements so i could do both mechanisms in 1 drawing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have the 2014 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyricalvibe)
    No problem
    Flag me on whichever parts your unclear on
    The dashed arrows i don't think are official chemistry but are to show possible electron movements so i could do both mechanisms in 1 drawing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thankyou so much, that helps a lot!! how does that "confirm the model" though?? does it just prove the fact that a carbocation is formed as an intermediate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSD07)
    Thankyou so much, that helps a lot!! how does that "confirm the model" though?? does it just prove the fact that a carbocation is formed as an intermediate?
    Yeah. we can't directly capture the carbocation to prove the mechanism because it's an intermediate (used up straight after being produced). So by cl- reacting as well is evidence that they a carbocation is there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any stuff or predictions for the Advanced Notice?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 2, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.