Turn on thread page Beta

Muslim kid arrested for bringing home made clock to school watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Social media says #IStandWithAhmed after the schoolboy was arrested for bringing homemade clock to school

Apparently the clock was mistaken for a bomb. This is just disgusting.
    Islamophobia worsening every day.Arresting a 14-year-old Muslim boy who under any other name would be considered a genius.#IStandWithAhmed
    I agree #istandwithahmed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He'll prob get some phat pay out anyway!!
    And if his clock is that good, maybe he will get a grant for college or something (he's taking it to the white house someone said right?). Or a job making timers on bombs?

ReputationRep:
    After seeing that picture of the clock, if that started to beep in ANYONES bag i would start running the f away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forest_Lioness)
    After seeing that picture of the clock, if that started to beep in ANYONES bag i would start running the f away.
    agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ' (Original post by queen-bee)I smell racial profilingYou could be smelling all kinds of ****. However as many had said there is a first time for everything and we should be diligent in these modern times of terrorism.' I'm pretty sure if it was a white kid who looked suspicious you wouldn't be saying the same
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    If a white kid brought in something that resembled a gun I would have had the exact same reaction.
    You shouldn't assume anything.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't assume anything.
    I'm talking about a bomb looking clock. Not a gun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forest_Lioness)
    Well that's a shame, some of these raspberry pi projects look quite interesting, but they'd probably scare you ****less.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rasp...IVQYkaCh1iYwVd

ReputationRep:
    You said and I quote;

I'm pretty sure if it was a white kid who looked suspicious you wouldn't be saying the same
    And now you are changing your argument because I have proven you wrong. Good job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaseratiJay)
    I'm not going to say whether it was right or wrong.

What I will say is although it can seem as if it was racially motivated, I'd rather this happen and everyone is safe than have them ignore it and a whole classroom of kids get blown to pieces (whether the person is muslim; christian; hindu; sikh; black; white; asian or other).

America is pretty tight on security and maybe he should (like any other kid regardless of race etc) have warned someone, like oh I'm going to make a clock could you check it out. Rather than randomly bringing these things to school. If it will cause this type of reaction they should let their teachers know first - Again regardless of race etc - because I don't want any excitable people on this site jumping down my throat.
    America are pretty tight on security.....yet they allow civilians to carry guns. Okay.

ReputationRep:
    As I said previously, if saw a device like that in a BRIEFCASE beeping, I'd get the hell away regardless of the race or religion of the person who made it.

While I think the precautions were necessary to take and report, I think the handling of the situation has been pretty disgusting - the boy should never have been suspended from school or threatened with being charged. I'm sure he is shaken up enough already!

I.e. by all means report and inspect the briefcase, don't fingerprint and mugshot the poor kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You said and I quote;

And now you are changing your argument because I have proven you wrong. Good job.
    Who wouldn't be suspicious of a white kid holding a gun in school? You've Stated the obvious. Question is,if it was a white kid holding a clock that looked like a bomb,I wonder what your reaction would be

ReputationRep:
    Who wouldn't be suspicious of a white kid holding a gun in school? You've Stated the obvious. Question is,if it was a white kid holding a clock that looked like a bomb,I wonder what your reaction would be
    Who wouldn't be suspicious of a Muslim with something that resembles a bomb? You've stated the obvious.

My reaction would be the same, we have to be much more diligent now than in the past. Terror threats whether Islamic or not are becoming prevalent in today's society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namandi)
    LOL. There's already a thread about this.

Why is it disgusting that it was mistaken for a bomb?

USA doesn't mess around with security. That is common knowledge.

Once they suspect something could be a threat, they act accordingly.

Even if it is something as small as a pencil case or in this case, a handmade clock, they act accordingly.

Are they paranoid? Perhaps

Would they rather be paranoid than have parents mourning the lives of their children? Definitely
    Do you not understand the actual point on why people are disgusted that Ahmed got arrested for making a clock?

Because if a white or black kid came into school with a home-made clock, they wouldn't suspect a thing! But because he's a Muslim and his name is Ahmed, they suspected him!

That's Islamaphobia clearly, and if you agree with the way they went about it, then you really need to sort your morals out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am_blue)

Because if a white or black kid came into school with a home-made clock,
    How do you know this?

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse it's not.
    >Someone dismantles a clock
    >puts all the components in a brief case to look like a bomb device
    >brings it to school for no reason
    >shows it to teacher that says to keep it hidden
    >timer goes off during class.

Yes perfectly normal behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    They arrested him for having a homemade clock and they thought it was a bomb because it was ticking.
    Yes but the thing is, the teachers could not have reasonably identified it as an alarm clock. It was an writhing mass of open circuitry in a suitcase. Please stop as though he took a clock from poundland and took it apart.

If you took that case down the street or in a train, how long do you think it would be before someone called 999?

If its anything suspicious they are required by law to report it to the police, no matter what. They are not allowed to call in the IT guy to confirm it. People (white people as well) have been arrested or suspended for having cell phones beeping and garage door openers in their lockers. It's not a race issue, it's a security issue.

This entire thing has been blown out of proportion because the SJW bandwagoners were just waiting to call something racist.

ReputationRep:
    Who wouldn't be suspicious of a Muslim with something that resembles a bomb? You've stated the obvious.

My reaction would be the same, we have to be much more diligent now than in the past. Terror threats whether Islamic or not are becoming prevalent in today's society.
    If it was a white kid I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been arrested and suspended from school and they would probably allow him to call his parents to explain what's happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    How do you know this?
    When Dylan roof shot all those black people in church,he was taken to burger or KFC right after the shooting,do you think people of colour have that sort of privelege?

ReputationRep:
    If it was a white kid I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been arrested and suspended from school and they would probably allow him to call his parents to explain what's happening.
    How do you know?

Do you have a similar case where the outcomes were different in the way you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure? So yet still no evidence.

I actually doubt that as he was arrested on the charge of making a hoax bomb.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.