13.12%
    St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether UCL still prefer applicants with a third academic humanities A Level? Not sure whether to drop history or maths. I swear I remember seeing it on their Medicine page, but I'm not quite sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    My father (who is a surgeon) told me that it's only really beneficial if you want to either become a surgeon or have a basis for future research in that field in the future.

The surgical specialties are more competitive than others, since there's less places and having a BSc gives you an advantage when applying for them.
    Cheers. So is it any BSc or medicine specific ones like Pathology etc?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by pandaronium)
    Thank you! I got a score of 730 but was getting very worried that this year would have a ridiculously high average so that is very reassuring to hear
    I know what you mean, during my application cycle in 2015 I achieved 675, which proved to be well above average for my year and would have secured me an interview at many UKCAT heavy medical schools, but I followed the TSR threads like these and thought my score was terrible. If I would have gone away and found the UKCAT deciles and realised my score was good instead of listening to the rubbish on TSR then I would have done much better than 1 interview out of 4 applications.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    What are the advantages of doing an extra BSc?
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    My father (who is a surgeon) told me that it's only really beneficial if you want to either become a surgeon or have a basis for future research in that field in the future.

The surgical specialties are more competitive than others, since there's less places and having a BSc gives you an advantage when applying for them.
    I can ditto this for the research, im pretty sure doing a Bsc gains you a few extra points onto your score for foundation years. It also depends on whether the Bsc grade was 1st or 2:1, a 1st gets a lot more points than a 2:1.

I have been told by upper year medical students that unless you have an interest in science and research and want to go into a very competitive training field such as surgery, or want to apply to a very competitive deanery (such as central london) then it doesnt make to much of a difference.

Remember a BSc is a year out of medicine and an extra year of funding for you to add to your medical school tuition and living costs, hence it isnt a great option for everyone. I like how at my medical school you get the choice as to whether you would like to do an intercalated BSc or not, because I wouldn't want to be forced into it at all!

ReputationRep:
    My gcse grades were:
    Maths: A*
    Further Maths AQA : A
    Biology: A
    Chemistry: A
    Physics: A
    ICT: A
    Statistics: A
    Geography: B
    English Lang: C
    English Lit: C
    French: C

Do I have a shot at medicine? I am planning to apply to Newcastle, Sheffield, Exeter and ?. I have always had a lifelong dream of becoming a doctor, so I don't want to give up. Any tips for UKCAT. I am actually dying considering the fact I might not get a place at a medical school. Any medical school would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Cheers. So is it any BSc or medicine specific ones like Pathology etc?
    Well, a lot of the options are heavily dependent On what's on offer.

But yes, medical related ones. Found it weird how medical politics or management were options at some unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss987)
    My gcse grades were:

Do I have a shot at medicine? I am planning to apply to Newcastle, Sheffield, Exeter and ?. I have always had a lifelong dream of becoming a doctor, so I don't want to give up. Any tips for UKCAT. I am actually dying considering the fact I might not get a place at a medical school. Any medical school would do.
    Imperial do not consider GCSEs at all. Apply there, though you'd have to do the BMAT. I also know that Durhams policy is identical to Newcastle, so there's another option. Your grades would've been fine for a lot of schools, if only you'd gotten a B in English Language. Apart from that, it's pretty good
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Boss987)
    My gcse grades were:

The strong Science and Maths GCSEs will be fine, but the C in english language will really hold you back as a lot of medical schools require at least a B. Imperial do not have any GCSE requirements but they are a BMAT uni so if your willing to take the BMAT that may be a good application for you.

Exeter, durham, newcastle and Sheffield are the only ones I can see so far that would accept the C in English language, all other medical schools either require a B/A or have really high GCSE requirements for interview which you will likely struggle to meet.

Exeter needs a high UKCAT and at least A*AA predictions (the higher the better). Durham/Newcastle (same course - not sure if you can apply to both) need a very high UKCAT. Sheffield need a UKCAT above the cut-off and a great personal statement and Imperial needs a brilliant BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandaronium)
    Thank you! I got a score of 730 but was getting very worried that this year would have a ridiculously high average so that is very reassuring to hear
    730 is still very very high....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    Hey guys, I'm a third year at HYMS - if you have any questions about HYMS or Medicine in general i'm happy to try and help I can also try and help with any application advice but I'm probably a little out of date now!!

Good luck to all of you - it's worth all the effort I promise!!!

Can I apply here with a UKCAT of 636?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneAfrica)
    Can I apply here with a UKCAT of 636?
    I'm afraid that isn't really a question I can answer! You can see on the HYMS webpage how they use the UKCAT (see link) - it is a big part of pre-interview selection. It's difficult to say without knowing how your score sits and how many points you would be given. Would depend on your GCSEs as well

http://www.hyms.ac.uk/docs/default-s...2017-entry.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Any applicants from Scotland in here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_Sh*t)
    Yeahh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_Sh*t)
    Hello! What did you get in your exam results today?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, quick tip for the UKCAT, just sat it today, Verbal reasoning is usually my best but it was soooo hard. Far fewer 'true false cant tell' a LOT more of the longer ones so just be prepared! Don't dwindle too much on one question but keep moving. If you get stressed during VR the use decision making as a little break bc it doesn't count towards our final grade, and always guess, even if you dont know it, just put an answer and flag it ( Alt-F is a lot quicker to flag stuff btw). GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    Got 6A* 4A at GCSE
    Have been predicted 4As in maths Chem bio and Econ I'm not sure whether this is good enough
    Considering applying to QMUL , Kings , Sheffield and Southhampton

Volunteer at a care home last 8 months , paediatrics 1 week, gp surgery 1 week

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT: 740 QR 720 AR 550(VR unfortunately) Band 1
    GCSES: 6A* 4As 1b 1c
    Work exp 2 weeks ICU
    1 Week at Musculoskeltelal centre
    1 week at Kings college renal
    Any suggestions as to where I should apply(where my statistics are most likely to get an interview at least)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Chillipaneerii)
    Got 6A* 4A at GCSE
    Have been predicted 4As in maths Chem bio and Econ I'm not sure whether this is good enough
    Considering applying to QMUL , Kings , Sheffield and Southhampton

Volunteer at a care home last 8 months , paediatrics 1 week, gp surgery 1 week
    Nice choices dependant on your UKCAT though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dandie12)
    UKCAT: 740 QR 720 AR 550(VR unfortunately) Band 1
    GCSES: 6A* 4As 1b 1c
    Work exp 2 weeks ICU
    1 Week at Musculoskeltelal centre
    1 week at Kings college renal
    Any suggestions as to where I should apply(where my statistics are most likely to get an interview at least)
    Have a good look around online for med schools admissions requirements.

I can tell you now to avoid cardiff, birmingham, QUB, Kings, edinburgh and newcastle. Southampton, exeter and glasgow would all be risky.

Have a good look at places like SGUL, UEA, manchester, Liverpool, sheffield, hull York, Nottingham, Leicester, Aberdeen etc. Also if you want to take the BMAT have a look at BSMS, leeds and lancaster.
    From the top of my head there is nothing on your application that rules you out from these unis, but make sure you have a look at all schools as i may have missed some.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMack029)
    Hello! What did you get in your exam results today?
    Hey, I got 5As in Maths,Physics, Computing, Chemistry and Biology, still don't know my bands yet tho.

How did your results go?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.