Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To those who've sat previous GAMSATs, can you remember what the essay topics were in those?? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Every time I mark any papers related to scores I wonder how closely the GAMSAT scores resemble percentages 😳 it's obviously impossible to tell.

Just tried one of the Ozimed S3 sections to see if they are any good. Got 81%, if I knew that correlated somewhere close to a GAMSAT score I could feel good, but 81% could be like a 75-85, or something like a 58 in Acer's world! Such a pain, the whole test is blind.

Note: Ozimed papers aren't all that great. Lots of assumed knowledge that can't be found within the abstract - which isn't like the actual GAMSAT papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VARRRDAQ)
    To those who've sat previous GAMSATs, can you remember what the essay topics were in those?? Thanks
    Essay topics in Task A is often sociocultural in theme. E.g. democracy, media, war, censorship etc.
    Task B is normally more about personal experiences. E.g. sadness, loss, happiness etc.

You can't really anticipate what is going to come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)
    Every time I mark any papers related to scores I wonder how closely the GAMSAT scores resemble percentages 😳 it's obviously impossible to tell.

Just tried one of the Ozimed S3 sections to see if they are any good. Got 81%, if I knew that correlated somewhere close to a GAMSAT score I could feel good, but 81% could be like a 75-85, or something like a 58 in Acer's world! Such a pain, the whole test is blind.

Note: Ozimed papers aren't all that great. Lots of assumed knowledge that can't be found within the abstract - which isn't like the actual GAMSAT papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I sat the exam in March. The Irish GAMSAT is meant to be scored more harshly, (so they say) but in my experience, the exam percentages roughly correspond to percentages.

This image below came with my result.

I scored overall 76
    S1: 64
    S2: 86
    S3: 76

S1 was lower than what I scored in Acer papers, but I screwed this section up on the day, so was actually expecting mid to high 50s.

S2 was higher than the score I got from auto mark thing ACER offers.

S3 was around the percentage that I got from the ACER papers.

If I were you I wouldn't take the Ozimeds very seriously. I frequently scored in excess of 90% on S1 in Ozimeds and around 80-90% in S3, but these weren't at all representative of my experiences using other practice papers e.g. Des O'Neill etc.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly can't remember what mine were about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashxx)
    How is everyone preparing for section 2? I'm writing essays but I want feedback, any good websites or programmes just for gamsat essay marking and feedback ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm taking random quotes from Goodreads and just spending 5 minutes writing about each one and what I think about it and if it's correct or false and my reasoning for that. Weird preparation but it's helping me write quickly. Especially because the alarm clock I'm using is so loud so I'm rushing.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure 81% would be like you say, 75-85. Definitively not a 58, at least from my experience.

And that's a shame about Ozimed papers. I've only had a quick flick through them and thought they were quite good

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I found the ozimed papers easy and gave me hope till i tried Des oneill and the acer papers and got the shock of my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle...

I have a score of 55 and do you guys reckon it'll be enough for Liverpools 4 year medicine course.

Any thoughts and opinions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NafNaf39)
    Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle...

I have a score of 55 and do you guys reckon it'll be enough for Liverpools 4 year medicine course.

Any thoughts and opinions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Don't ask people here, but call admission office yourself. Ask for previous years' GAMSAT cut off scores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    I thought their cutoff was 60 last year? Nice anyway!

Des O'Neill S1 and S2 stuff I can't really remember much about, it's nice to have extra practise questions but I don't think it really taught me anything I didn't know from practise tests/Gold Standard/Griffiths. S3 stuff is great, would really recommend it, feels a bit harder than the actual exam and some of it is more knowledge based rather than working with what you are given but it all helps!
    forgot to mention 59 was the score acer use not the scoring method that notts or sgul use! Aiming for mid 60's this time.

I agree with you on the S1 & 2 aspect although its good to focus on the specific 'baskets' of skills they group questions to. Phew! thank god you said that about S3, I'm finding them challenging but going back to sample or practice questions they feel easier(ish) after the O'Neills stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Osiris Wintereisse)
    Don't ask people here, but call admission office yourself. Ask for previous years' GAMSAT cut off scores.
    Yeah previous 2 years was 55....

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Osiris Wintereisse;66846404]I sat the exam in March. The Irish GAMSAT is meant to be scored more harshly, (so they say) but in my experience, the exam percentages roughly correspond to percentages.

This image below came with my result.

I scored overall 76
    S1: 64
    S2: 86
    S3: 76

S1 was lower than what I scored in Acer papers, but I screwed this section up on the day, so was actually expecting mid to high 50s.

S2 was higher than the score I got from auto mark thing ACER offers.

S3 was around the percentage that I got from the ACER papers.

If I were you I wouldn't take the Ozimeds very seriously. I frequently scored in excess of 90% on S1 in Ozimeds and around 80-90% in S3, but these weren't at all representative of my experiences using other practice papers e.g. Des O'Neill etc.[/QUOTE

Those are amazing scores, just wondering though, what is your strategy for the essay section? Do you focus on each quote separately, or do you talk about the general theme? Also for science, did you manage to complete all the questions in the exam? thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Well those scores have well and truly intimidated me, and I consider myself a relatively strong applicant myself! 😂 I think I need to check out this Des O'neil stuff, is there practice papers then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I haven't started my GAMSAT preparation yet :/ (...I have been preparing mainly for the UKCAT) and the exam is less than a month's time away. Is there still time to study and get a really high grade? if not, then why?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    When should I be doing a practice paper do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Anything is possible of course. But 4 weeks is a short time frame if you haven't started anything yet. Best get busy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sat UKCAT today and got a score of 680 so guess who's joining the gamsat crew! Had registered in anticipation of this but was more hoping to use this year as a bit of a test considering it's 4 weeks away and I haven't even begun doing anything for it...any ideas on where to start, how to plan revision etc? I'm going into my third year of biomed.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone wants to join a study group in London for the last month to Gamsat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimsiclez)
    Sat UKCAT today and got a score of 680 so guess who's joining the gamsat crew! Had registered in anticipation of this but was more hoping to use this year as a bit of a test considering it's 4 weeks away and I haven't even begun doing anything for it...any ideas on where to start, how to plan revision etc? I'm going into my third year of biomed.
    Practice papers and essay writing. Your science knowledge is probably already up to scratch barring perhaps some basic physics.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 27, 2017

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.