Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

scientific reasons for believing in god? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Everything we study in science is proof of His existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KungPooPanda)
    Well, who has brought forward any scientific proof that he DOESNT exist? If your going to ask one question, you may as-well ask it both ways

If i made a thread asking this question, it would probably just mirror this thread

Again, what proof are you seeking? You want pictures? An interview with him on BBC? Postcards to come through your door from him?
    The onus is on the person making the claim. The atheist or agnostic does not bring a god into the mix. Believers do with their appeals from incredulity or personal anecdotes with all the thought of a four year old attached. So it is up to the person pushing the god concept to provide evidence. Evidence which seems to have never been provided in the history of mankind. Man invented god(s) not the other way around.

And if god did exist, who made god. And that is a reductio ad absurdum waiting to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pvaz6965)
    You are going off on a confused tangent here. Go back and read the post of yours I replied to. And then try again.

By the way, I am not some kid on here doing my GCSE's - I am a professional scientist. A real one, not a medical doctor or a psychologist.
    A professional scientist can be someone who works in a Lab with a Bachelors, So please lol

And why do i need to go back and read the post? Im asking you here and now to explain what you are trying to say?

Yes, personal anecdotes hold no water, bla bla, yes, me telling you a story doesn't prove or show anything, Yes, there could be a million things that factor into a 'story' i know that, everyone know's that, most people also know that anecdotes can be used to portray a scenario when you are trying to say something, have you ever heard of "e.g"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    Stop selling crazy, because we aren't buying.

ReputationRep:
    A professional scientist can be someone who works in a Lab with a Bachelors, So please lol
    PhD (Astrophysics), thirty years experience.
    And why do i need to go back and read the post?
    Because you have lost your train of thought it seems.Let me restate something about your anecdote. Isn't it far more likely the 0%'s you mentioned were a misdiagnosis than a divine being with no evidence for his/her existence personally intervened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    This has been debunked countless times.
    Debunked by who? What makes them so trustworthy? You could "debunk" anything if you were so keen on trying to belittle it.

ReputationRep:
    Debunked by who? What makes them so trustworthy? You could "debunk" anything if you were so keen on trying to belittle it.
    Debunked by anyone except those who are so desperate for their holy book to be accepted. To think the passages mentioned are a description of Big Bang Cosmology is nothing short of lying for Muhammad. Just like fundamental Christian Creationist lie for Christ.

ReputationRep:
    PhD (Astrophysics), thirty years experience.Because you have lost your train of thought it seems.Let me restate something about your anecdote. Isn't it far more likely the 0%'s you mentioned were a misdiagnosis than a divine being with no evidence for his/her existence personally intervened?
    Yes, and as i originally said, you were trying to be clever for no reason, the point of an anecdote is to tell a story, is to give the reader some kind of image as to whats being said, you trying to pick apart an anecdote is ridiculous.

If i had brought forward a documented case, a 'miracle' so to speak, that science DID NOT have an answer for, how would you have also picked that apart? Would your 30 years of experience make you more qualified to tell us why these miracles happened? More qualified than previous 'experts' who had also looked at these events? Or would you have simply had no choice but to go with ' urhm, well '

Picking apart an anecdote that is being used to give an example, context, imagery, is childish, its the kind of thing i expect a kid to

A mature person would have seen what was being said, and would have understood the message behind it:

There are extraordinary events and documented cases that (evidence would suggest) CANNOT be explained by science, and therefore are dubbed as 'miracles' (gods work) OR scientific anomalies - which effectively destroy's the god argument and leaves no room open to the idea that there is a God, and he does intervene on this earth and causes random and amazing (or horrible..) things to happen.

A Mature person would NOT have based their argument off the fact that 'oh, but in YOUR story (that isn't even real), isnt it possible that...' -> WHATS THE POINT? If you KNOW that the anecdote is being used as an example, then your clearly being argumentative for no reason, unless of course your stance is to say 'that TYPE of stuff' CAN be explained', which is fine, thats your right, but in that case i would simply say, so explain them then? Tell me something that only you know that the rest of them clearly didn't know?

If you cant explain them, no, it doesnt mean there is a God, but if you CANT explain them, then HOW can you be CERTAIN that there is no God?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and as i originally said, you were trying to be clever for no reason,
    One should not need a reason to be clever. One is clever or one isn't. I happen to be such a one.

If i had brought forward a documented case, a 'miracle' so to speak, that science DID NOT have an answer for, how would you have also picked that apart? Would your 30 years of experience make you more qualified to tell us why these miracles happened? More qualified than previous 'experts' who had also looked at these events? Or would you have simply had no choice but to go with ' urhm, well '
    You can't bring one up because there is no such thing as a miracle. You can bring hand wavy anecdotes like you did up but they are worthless to examination by their very nature.

Picking apart an anecdote that is being used to give an example, context, imagery, is childish, its the kind of thing i expect a kid to
    No the childish thing is providing such rubbish to begin with.

There are extraordinary events and documented cases that (evidence would suggest) CANNOT be explained by science, and therefore are dubbed as 'miracles' (gods work) OR scientific anomalies - which effectively destroy's the god argument and leaves no room open to the idea that there is a God, and he does intervene on this earth and causes random and amazing (or horrible..) things to happen.
    Except no one ever manages to bring such a thing up that is not unexplained except do to its very tenuous evidences or observation.

If you cant explain them, no, it doesnt mean there is a God, but if you CANT explain them, then HOW can you be CERTAIN that there is no God?
    You haven't provided anything of note. Look, I can tell that you aren't educated to a high level but you should really stop digging holes.

ReputationRep:
    One should not need a reason to be clever. One is clever or one isn't. I happen to be such a one.

You can't bring one up because there is no such thing as a miracle. You can bring hand wavy anecdotes like you did up but they are worthless to examination by their very nature.

Except no one ever manages to bring such a thing up that is not unexplained except do to its very tenuous evidences or observation.

You haven't provided anything of note. Look, I can tell that you aren't educated to a high level but you should really stop digging holes.
    "There is no such thing as a miracle" was pretty much all i needed to hear to know i'm talking to someone who probably isn't a professional with 30 years experience, but a kid behind a screen who probably just hates the idea of there being a God.

Anyway, I look forward in the future to hearing about all the unexplainable things that only YOU will come to explain, I look forward to you being the one who solves 'all' the medical mysteries out there and will eventually bring a stop to all the fool's who believe that 'miracles' are actually just, random acts of science

ReputationRep:
    "There is no such thing as a miracle" was pretty much all i needed to hear to know i'm talking to someone who probably isn't a professional with 30 years experience, but a kid behind a screen who probably just hates the idea of there being a God.

Anyway, I look forward in the future to hearing about all the unexplainable things that only YOU will come to explain, I look forward to you being the one who solves 'all' the medical mysteries out there and will eventually bring a stop to all the fool's who believe that 'miracles' are actually just, random acts of science
    Sorry, but I know it is common on message boards when things get sticky to pretend you don't believe what the other says about themselves - but you have it wrong. I'm probably old enough to be your parent and I was finishing my PhD in the mid 1980s.

All you are doing is the time honoured appeal from personal incredulity. Gosh, darn - I can't understand it therefore it must be god.

There are many things that were formerly unexplained and not a single one needed an appeal to an invisible sky fairy when all was said and done. And it far more likely than not the currently unexplained doesn't. And you bring things up that are unexplained just because they are so ill posed or lacking in observation as to be pointless to even discuss.

As someone has said - it is like god lives under a stone - there used to be so many for him/her to hide under - but as we discover and look under those stones and understand them - there are less and less stones for god to hide under. Yep - your god - the ever shrinking, running out of places to hide god.

ReputationRep:
    Well, who has brought forward any scientific proof that he DOESNT exist? If your going to ask one question, you may as-well ask it both ways

If i made a thread asking this question, it would probably just mirror this thread

Again, what proof are you seeking? You want pictures? An interview with him on BBC? Postcards to come through your door from him?
    KungPooPanda,

In several places throughout this thread there has been scientific theory explained and explored in detail by those who study the subject, with the purpose of demonstrating that science does actually offer an explanation that often effortlessly excludes God, not always though.

Now we are asking for the religious to put forward physical evidence that suggests divine interaction, or is so full of holes , or is so suspiciously perfect that a divine being is implicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)

Now we are asking for the religious to put forward physical evidence that suggests divine interaction, or is so full of holes , or is so suspiciously perfect that a divine being is implicated.
    You will be waiting the rest of your life. Such a thing never has been done. By Bayesian inference alone you should think it is not like to happen.

ReputationRep:

I think you have one rep from me...though tbh I have tried to rep all your posts multiple times, it just won't let me.

ReputationRep:
    You will be waiting the rest of your life. Such a thing never has been done. By Bayesian inference alone you should think it is not like to happen.
    ^^^^^^this is what this thread needs!

Scientific advancement explained + probability theory = God appears to be being squeezed out of existence quite literally.

My knowledge of probability is back of postage stamp stuff....for now....but I liked your response a lot

ReputationRep:
    I think you have one rep from me...though tbh I have tried to rep all your posts multiple times, it just won't let me.
    That's what PRSOM is for. If you've already repped them then just quote them and type PRSOM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ^^^^^^this is what this thread needs!

Scientific advancement explained + probability theory = God appears to be being squeezed out of existence quite literally.

My knowledge of probability is back of postage stamp stuff....for now....but I liked your response a lot
    I said this in an earlier post:

As someone has said - it is like god lives under a stone - there used to be so many for him/her to hide under - but as we discover and look under those stones and understand them - there are less and less stones for god to hide under. Yep - your god - the ever shrinking, running out of places to hide god.
    Hundreds of years ago you could hide god beyond the naked eye planets or in a drop of pond water. But with telescopes and microscopes he couldn't hide there. But you could still hide him in human conception or the inheritance of traits in plants - but then with advancement he wasn't hiding there. So he was relegated to further afield in the universe or in the magic of penicillin or such. But then we figured those things out. Where can he hide? His hiding places have shrunk an awful lot, especially in the last century or so. Looks like if you sum this series to infinity or infer posterior probabilities then poor god will have no place left to hide. Except of course the one place he actually came from - the mind of man.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmazingArry)
    That's what PRSOM is for. If you've already repped them then just quote them and type PRSOM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I seeeeeeee

I feel like this is something I don't know just because I'm old. At 25. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisgalkate)
    the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:
    Nonsense! There are probably many exoplanets out there which have similar adequate conditions for life. Are they all unique?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.