** Official Investment Banking Spring Week 2017 Thread **

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar & spice)
    Hey! Please excuse that i seem to be doing the thread so late; although i have been silently peeking from the very beginning.

Thank you prince for your ever so helpful responses, they came in handy for me as well.

However, i have one small concern lingering in my head that i wish to clarify.

I really do not know how cringe this is, but does it matter if you are not at a top non-russell group uni? (i.e. not Bath, Surrey etc)?
    Do these things really matter or do they consider applications on an individual basis?
    It unfortunately does matter, but can be overcome with the right stuff on your CV.

Give it a bash anyway, as you never know what may happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar & spice)
    Hey! Please excuse that i seem to be doing the thread so late; although i have been silently peeking from the very beginning.

Thank you prince for your ever so helpful responses, they came in handy for me as well.

However, i have one small concern lingering in my head that i wish to clarify.

I really do not know how cringe this is, but does it matter if you are not at a top non-russell group uni? (i.e. not Bath, Surrey etc)?
    Do these things really matter or do they consider applications on an individual basis?
    Might be worth applying for Middle office spring weeks for banks that have them (Goldman do).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    Might be worth applying for Middle office spring weeks for banks that have them (Goldman do).
    If he wants to work in the front office he should apply for front office Spring weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    If he wants to work in the front office he should apply for front office Spring weeks.
    Well that's all well and good but having a spring week regardless of it being FO or MO is better than not having one at all, spreading your apps over different divisions (ones without target bias) particularly at the more competitive banks like goldman can hedge against that.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's all well and good but having a spring week regardless of it being FO or MO is better than not having one at all, spreading your apps over different divisions (ones without target bias) particularly at the more competitive banks like goldman can hedge against that.
    Actually, Goldman has a more progressive outlook at non-targets in comparison to other banks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Actually, Goldman has a more progressive outlook at non-targets in comparison to other banks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it only me or is there a certain prestige that emanates from goldman but not from Barclay's CS etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True but you're still competing against arguably the best candidates so the statistics really aren't on your side in comparison to other banks.

(Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    Is it only me or is there a certain prestige that emanates from goldman but not from Barclay's CS etc?Posted from TSR Mobile
    Goldman JPM and MS generally have more prestige than the other BBs.

ReputationRep:
    Is it only me or is there a certain prestige that emanates from goldman but not from Barclay's CS etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah, students just like to overemphasise what they perceive as 'prestige'. GS is good, but not in everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adrono)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hmm, who does this remind me of...

ReputationRep:
    True but you're still competing against arguably the best candidates so the statistics really aren't on your side in comparison to other banks.
    That's the case for most banks.. There's a lot of cross over of applicants across all of the BBs. But, GS specifically look for a certain type of personality that may not be found in the traditional Eton > 4A*s > Oxbridge candidates, if you understand what I mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, who does this remind me of...
    Who lol

ReputationRep:
    A bit off topic (but this thread is active)
    Does anyone know where I can read the 'Vault Guide to Banking' for free?
    If not are there any other good reads?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's the case for most banks.. There's a lot of cross over of applicants across all of the BBs. But, GS specifically look for a certain type of personality that may not be found in the traditional Eton > 4A*s > Oxbridge candidates, if you understand what I mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The point is you're more likely to be left off having a spring week if you go for some less competitive divisions, I'd certainly rather have one even if it wasn't FO than non at all.

ReputationRep:
    Who lol
    A numpty that posted here often who has since been banned.

(Original post by AdeptDz)
    A bit off topic (but this thread is active)
    Does anyone know where I can read the 'Vault Guide to Banking' for free?
    If not are there any other good reads?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/files...ion%202013.pdf here you go

ReputationRep:

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The point is you're more likely to be left off having a spring week if you go for some less competitive divisions, I'd certainly rather have one even if it wasn't FO than non at all.
    Fair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Do you have the Consulting 1 too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamo2509)
    I presume that's for the lunatics that do four or five A2s
    That would be me

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.