Living life on the edge: Me and my crazy life

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    FireFreezer77 Danke shon, thank you for the tag

Glad you appreciate the follows, but of course you'll have people following your blog :yep: They are always very thoughtful, insightful posts which are interesting to read and understand.

It takes a lot of courage to post something like this, and I therefore admire you for being able to do so. I understand that sometimes you don't realise the extent of what it is you are saying when you feel depressed and that is fair enough. You'll always have people on here who will reassure you that you are indeed a great friend and person in general. Depression certainly isn't easy to live with and so it is understandable that at times when you don't feel your best, the depression makes you act in certain ways that may differ to your usual self.

It's a good thing we are already aware of what a lovely person you are I don't know if it's necessary for you to be aware of how amazing you are for now; just knowing that you are not lacking worth is good enough for the moment :yep:

Fair enough, and it's something you'll have to learn about with time, as I'm sure you did with yur OCD. Please don't worry about bringing other people down when things get bad; the chances are that they'll be happy to help :yep:. You know that you can always PM me whenever you don't feel well.

As I said in PMs, I don't mind talking about some of my experience but what would you like to know? I don't think I'll say the whole thing but is there anything in particular you'd like to know about it?

You're not a "jerk"; you just need to continue being yourself the best you can :yep:

Thanks for being an awesome friend :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Love ya buddy!!! <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Aw thankyou. I wouldnt say im brave, but thankyou.
    :hugs:

Well i felt it was necessary tbh! Fair enough then, but i think i could do ore in trying to stop it, but idk.

Indeed, hmm ok then.

No ive not heard of it before. Ill have a look and see then! Thankyou for the reccomendation!
    No worries.

And its okay i understand why you feel you need to apologise. And tbh the only thing you can do is try and cope with it and learn how to live around the illness.

Welcome and them books will hopefully help you.

Dont forget im always here if you need someone to talk to about anything.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know what you've been writing here the past couple of months, but it seems to have upsetten you.
    I'm really sorry that you're going through this. I have been through depression and I'm currently going through it (it's not as bad as it was before- I feel like I have come a long way). Everyone has their own experience of it, that is completely unique to others. But what remains the same is how we feel. We feel alone. Afraid...like we want to cry and when we do we don't know why?..

When I went through it I hardly left my house...like I never did actually. It got bad to the stage where everyone at home would realise. I was always crying, sometimes I didn't even know why. I ejected myself from my social life it was just horrible...I just felt like depression trapped me, I couldn't explain to anyone how I felt

I don't believe in anti depressants; I feel like it only helps control your symptoms and not the actual problem. I prefer counselling and CBT. I tried to do things that made me feel happy again, be more active, escape from it. Get a job, try and talk to people, focus on work. When I saw a problem I tried to think of a way to overcome it and I set goals and targets (like try and get out the house a little while, speak to someone etc)

It's going to be hard to fight this, but it's not worth stopping! It never is! You can do this! Don't rush it, take time! Everyone is here to help!

ReputationRep:
    you're so poooh-sh

ReputationRep:
    Living life on the edge - Me and my crazy life

Hello everyone, I've decided that I'm gonna do a blog about my experiences with
    OCD
    Bullying
    Being Extremely Quiet and how I've managed it
    Along with some other items along the way.

I hope everyone enjoys reading my blog as much as I enjoy writing it. I've had lots of inspiration from certain TSR members which gave me the idea to start a blog. I've realized (with help from others) that there are people out there who are going through similar issues but are afraid to talk about them publicly. I therefore want to be open about my experiences so that others can realize that they're not alone in this.
    I hope you enjoy it. It's my first time at this so I apologise if it's rubbish.

Today's post will be about OCD. It's a mental illness which I myself suffer from and it is often overlooked by many as a minor issue. I can assure you right now that OCD is no joke. Around 1 in 10 people suffer from this condition which stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The obsessive part is when we get extreme thoughts that something bad will happen if we don't carry out a ritual that we need to in order to feel normal again. We get an urge to do something to put this irrational thought out of our minds. For example: If I don't wash my hands after using public transport, I will get horrendously I'll. Now lots of people use public transport daily and do they get ill from it. No. But we can't help but feel this way. We have to do it to relieve the anxiety we experience. The reason I used this example is because I experience issues with being clean (explained below) so I understand what is going on. Compulsive: These are the rituals that we have to do in order to put these thoughts to bed. If these rituals are not carried out, the anxiety experienced from the lack of carrying out the rituals increases until either you carry out the ritual or you wait it out long enough for it to die down. That brings me on to fighting OCD. There are not many ways to get rid of OCD and it's 100% impossible to remove it completely from someone. Everyone has some form of OCD. It can range from checking you locked the door a few times to constantly washing your hands in fear of getting ill.

This bit is from Ethereal Worlds blog! It's the only way I can think to explain it really.
    Im currently experiencing two OCD problems. One of them is a cleaning issue, the other is intrusive thoughts that are relevant to a bad experience I had when I had a part time job.
    My cleaning issue is rather complex and I don't know of anyone else who has experienced it like this. Here goes. When I touch something that I don't consider clean (most things that I don't own) then I get a feeling on that part of my body. The feeling is like I've got something on me (like if you got some water on you, you would feel it). If I then touch something else, it will then spread to that. The only way to remove the feeling is by washing that area of my body with soap or hand sanitiser. I get through around 3-4 bottles of Hand Sanitiser a week.
    Certain places will affect my whole body. College is the main place that does. So if I go to college, I will get this feeling all over my body and I can't get rid of it until I have a shower. After I shower everyday, the only thing I can do without getting this feeling on me is to get into bed. I even have to wash my feet before getting into bed. It sucks hardcore!!! Now the worst thing that I can touch is anything from the supermarket where I worked for 6 months before they got rid of me (much to my relief). It was awful!!
    But I can't touch anything from there without feeling like anything I touch will just bubble up like I'm made from acid or something. I literally can't do anything once that happens except for wash again.

Now on to the thoughts. I know lots of people have intrusive thoughts about things they find disturbing. My thoughts are more about personal experiences that have been awful for me. The worst thoughts are about the supermarket job I had. If I hear/see the name of that company, I get strange feelings inside of my head (yes inside of it) and the only way to remove it is to repeat a phrase I've come up with (I have no idea where it came from but it works). I'm not gonna share it because it's rather embarrassing and everyone will laugh. But I have to repeat it over and over a certain amount of times in a certain way. If I do it wrong then I have to repeat it until i say it correctly. What I mean by that is, sometimes it will sound different to what it's supposed to. I have to get it a outlet right for it to work correctly.
    Related to this is an issue I have with words (yes words). Once I've finished reading or watching something, I will have to look at a word that isn't related in any way to my experiences and stare at it until I'm satisfied I can look away without having these bad thoughts. If I look away and it's not right, I will immediately get these thoughts in my head until I look at the word again. It can take a while for it to look right for me. I've spent up to 90mins looking at a word before (several times) before I'm satisfied. It's a bummer because that's now 90mins of my day wasted thanks to OCD.

If you're still reading, I hope you have now realised that OCD is nothing to joke about. I never knew it was this bad until I experienced it myself for the first time around 2 years ago now. It was set off by the stress from my GCSE's. I was scared by it. I didn't know what was happening to me and why it was happening. All I knew was that something was wrong but I kept it quiet. Unfortunately that was a horrendous mistake. I could live with my issues then but then I got a job. This is where things went sour quickly. I worked there for 6 months before being let go (I was about to quit). My OCD went from manageable to completely out of ****ing control. I couldn't handle it anymore. It had taken over my life and was controlling me. I was housebound at this point. I couldn't go out anywhere without looking like an idiot because I was experiencing extreme difficulty. My showers went up to around 1-1.5 hours! I was using full bottles of shampoo and shower gel in one shower just so I could sleep in my bed. Eventually all this washing made my body really saw. I couldn't take it anymore and decided to just sleep on the floor. My parents bought an air bed for me to sleep on. I was able to wash less in the shower, heal my body and relieve some of the stress I was under.
    Two months later I realised that I would get back in bed so I did!!
    I had just started my first round of therapy at this point and was super excited by it!! I slept for ages. It was the best feeling ever!

I realise this I quite long so I'll shorten the end part down a bit.
    I've been through two rounds of therapy (one private and one with the NHS. There was an 8 month waiting list for the NHS btw).
    I'm still not 100% but I'm a damn sight better than the mess I was before.

Next time: Experiences of being bullied as an adult at college.

I thought I'd organized it a bit, but the posts are a bit all over the place. So just read them how you want to, if you want to!

Bonus Post: OCD Part 2 http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4022047&page=3

Bullying Intro: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4022047&page=4

Guest Post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4022047&page=6

Bullying Part 2: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4022047&page=7

Update On My Condition: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4022047&page=8

OCD Part 3: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4022047&page=8

Having No Friends: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4022047&page=9

Dealing With Bullying: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...022047&page=10

How OCD Changes You: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...022047&page=12

Proving TSR Isn't A Waste Of Time: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...022047&page=12

The Final Encore: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1UMiQZ122VA
    Btw It's Me Speaking
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ethereal World, AthiaKarim, FrenchUnicorn, Amellia123, Blondie987, The_Lonely_Goatherd, ForestShadow, User947387, Indeterminate, ZuluK, Leviathan1741, z33, ravioliyears.
    Just tagged everyone who responded to my previous thread and a couple of others
    Wow, i must say your are inspiration to people you know that. For you to keep on going through life and fighting these things you suffering with.

You are very brave for posting and starting this blog of you experience.

It was upsetting and sadden me to see a insight into how bad your OCD got. But im glad you are speaking up about it and are gaining confidence now.

I wish you all the best in your journey to managing things better and coping as best as you can with this.

Must say you have quite a posh sounding accent.

(Original post by saraxh)
    Hope you feel better soon
    Aw Thankyou!
    Appreciated!

Shall wayptch soon!

You're such a genuine, sweet and down to earth person.
    Honestly, don't ever change!! People like you are rare.
    I love reading about your experiences because I can relate with you 100%
    Thank you for making this!
    Although we do not speak much. Please know that I am always here for you. :lovehug:
    Stay strong.

(this is so cheesy oml)

AAAAPPPPPLLLEEEEE
    eat Apples btw :teehee:

(Original post by AppleB)
    You're such a genuine, sweet and down to earth person.
    Honestly, don't ever change!! People like you are rare.
    I love reading about your experiences because I can relate with you 100%
    Thank you for making this!
    Although we do not speak much. Please know that I am always here for you. :lovehug:
    Stay strong.

(this is so cheesy oml)

AAAAPPPPPLLLEEEEE
    eat Apples btw :teehee:
    Aww thankyou so much for that! That means a lot!
    I'll try not to change! Aw really?

Well its good you can relate!
    We can always change that :yep:

I am actually eating an apple

Aww thankyou so much for that! That means a lot!
    I'll try not to change! Aw really?

Well its good you can relate!
    We can always change that :yep:

I am actually eating an apple
    Yep!
    Haha :lol:

The apple :sexface:

Which one?

(Original post by AppleB)
    Yep!
    Haha :lol:

The apple :sexface:

Which one?
    Indeed!
    :rofl:

That face though :laugh:

It was a toffee apple!
    The toffee was disgusting!
    The apple tasted of the toffee :/

ReputationRep:
    FireFreezer77 it's good to hear from you again hope you're in a good place man

Indeed!
    :rofl:

That face though :laugh:

It was a toffee apple!
    The toffee was disgusting!
    The apple tasted of the toffee :/
    lool :rofl:

ooohhh i've never been a fan of toffee apples
    i never seem to get my teeth in the apple :lol:
    was the toffee not nice?

LOOL have you ever done apple bobbing?

PandaCalavera

Here you go
    The earlier posts are the better ones tbh.
    Everyone has been so supportive here
    Unfortunately most of them have left now :cry2:

Living Life OnThe Edge: The Downhill Struggle

Hey everyone! I'm here writing out another post for y'all to potentially read and comment on

I thought today I'd just refresh you on what I'm currently going through and the changes that have occurred in my/my life. This may be quite a long post so just be warned there.
    I'm covering both my OCD and Depression in detail so if it gets too long, I'll do separate posts.
    So let's get this party started!

OCD/Anxiety: Please just leave me alone

As you all know, I suffer from OCD and Anxiety, these are both related to each other so they're both included in this section. The NHS recently updated my condition as severe so that's not entirely ideal.
    My OCD affects me 24/7 and is extraordinarily hard to remove once it strikes in full force.

Outline of condition:
    I have a weird kind of twist on the usual cleaning aspect of OCD. It's weird because I don't really fear anything bad, I just get a physical sensation instead. Whenever I touch something, I get a feeling on my skin like there's something on there.
    For example: If one of you put your hand in some mud, you'd feel the mud and see it. That's how I feel when I touch something, I just can't see it.
    Now different items have different levels on how bad this feeling is, and how hard it is to remove. The worst for me is anything public (E.g. Restaurants, Public Toilets, Doorhandles, Benches, Public Transport, My Workplace etc...). All of these require me to shower afterwards. I also have clean items which don't affect me, such as: My bed, my IPad and that's it. So not a lot of 100% items there. Now the annoying thing is, this feeling has different severities.
    So if I touch something that is the worst for me, and then I touch something that is cleaner than that. The cleaner item then becomes as contaminated as the original item I touched. So when I touch the cleaner item again, I get the worst physical feeling instead of a minimal one.

Now for those of you who text me, I am unable to use my phone at weekends as I use my phone at work and it therefore has been contaminated. I therefore get this physical sensation on my whenever I touch it. So if I don't reply at weekends, that's why.

Now to remove this sensation, I have to wash the affected area of my body. Yup, it's not just my hands, it's my whole body that is affected. So as you can probably imagine, our household goes through a lot of: Soap, Hand Sanitizer, Shower Gel etc...
    I have cut down on it but I'm still using way way too much! And of course, using too much leads to dry skin which cracks and starts bleeding. Great...

So yeah that's pretty much the scale of my OCD. It may not sound like much but it is the worst thing ever! I hate it with a passion! And I don't get a break from it either so it's mentally draining too :/

So that's the OCD aspect of this post. Let's move on to the side you guys see more of here.

Depression: Why can't I be happy

Now I'm sure most of you who read this will have seen some of my posts when I get depressed. Now I have moderate depression (as confirmed by the NHS on Thursday) and this is only because it affects me at night time usually. I don't usually get depressed in the daytime but nighttime is a killer for me :/

Now the feelings I experience during these depressive episodes are completely negative, as you would expect. I can't see any positives and anything anyone says to me, just seems to be false information. I usually feel that people are better than me in every way shape and form. And that I'll never be able to be as good as them at anything in life.
    And then also I'm horrendously insecure so that also causes me to become depressed too unfortunately. Now Im not sure how to overcome this insecure behaviour of mine either. The main problem during these depressive episodes is that I completely lose control of my mind and end up in a state where I'm not controlling myself (if that makes sense). Therefore, the things you see me post on here during those times, I don't realize what's been said until I snap out of those episodes (usually the morning after). Hence there are some really negative things said and things I wouldn't normally say when I am fully engaged in life.
    So I apologize if I ever get nasty or anything towards you, just remember,bet please that I'm not myself during those times and I'm not controlling myself. If you do stumble upon a post of mine which clearly indicates I'm depressed, please do ignore it.
    It's beneficial in the long run if no actions are made upon those posts. It's just me venting and letting it all out. But I have my own thread for that now so don't expect to see many of them.

There's not really a lot to say here other than I just feel really down and dejected during those times. Nothing seems to cure it currently, aside from sleeping. Luckily it happens at night so I can just sleep to remove it from my system and start the next morning happier than the night before.
    Unfortunately, it usually carries over to the morning, but to a much lesser extent.

And I believe that covers everything for now. If I have missed anything or there's something you would like to know, please do not hesitate to ask me. I will do my best to reply if there are any questions etc...
    My VMs and PMs are currently closed to everyone except my contacts on here, so if you can't send a message that way, that'd be why.

Hope y'all found this informative and useful.
    Thanks for reading guys and gals!
    Bye for now!

More people

ReputationRep:
    x
    :grouphugs:

ReputationRep:

Hey everyone! I'm here writing out another post for y'all to potentially read and comment on

I thought today I'd just refresh you on what I'm currently going through and the changes that have occurred in my/my life. This may be quite a long post so just be warned there.
    I'm covering both my OCD and Depression in detail so if it gets too long, I'll do separate posts.

As you all know, I suffer from OCD and Anxiety, these are both related to each other so they're both included in this section. The NHS recently updated my condition as severe so that's not entirely ideal.
    My OCD affects me 24/7 and is extraordinarily hard to remove once it strikes in full force.

Outline of condition:
    I have a weird kind of twist on the usual cleaning aspect of OCD. It's weird because I don't really fear anything bad, I just get a physical sensation instead. Whenever I touch something, I get a feeling on my skin like there's something on there.
    For example: If one of you put your hand in some mud, you'd feel the mud and see it. That's how I feel when I touch something, I just can't see it.
    Now different items have different levels on how bad this feeling is, and how hard it is to remove. The worst for me is anything public (E.g. Restaurants, Public Toilets, Doorhandles, Benches, Public Transport, My Workplace etc...). All of these require me to shower afterwards. I also have clean items which don't affect me, such as: My bed, my IPad and that's it. So not a lot of 100% items there. Now the annoying thing is, this feeling has different severities.
    So if I touch something that is the worst for me, and then I touch something that is cleaner than that. The cleaner item then becomes as contaminated as the original item I touched. So when I touch the cleaner item again, I get the worst physical feeling instead of a minimal one.

Now for those of you who text me, I am unable to use my phone at weekends as I use my phone at work and it therefore has been contaminated. I therefore get this physical sensation on my whenever I touch it. So if I don't reply at weekends, that's why.

Now to remove this sensation, I have to wash the affected area of my body. Yup, it's not just my hands, it's my whole body that is affected. So as you can probably imagine, our household goes through a lot of: Soap, Hand Sanitizer, Shower Gel etc...
    I have cut down on it but I'm still using way way too much! And of course, using too much leads to dry skin which cracks and starts bleeding. Great...

So yeah that's pretty much the scale of my OCD. It may not sound like much but it is the worst thing ever! I hate it with a passion! And I don't get a break from it either so it's mentally draining too :/

So that's the OCD aspect of this post. Let's move on to the side you guys see more of here.

Now I'm sure most of you who read this will have seen some of my posts when I get depressed. Now I have moderate depression (as confirmed by the NHS on Thursday) and this is only because it affects me at night time usually. I don't usually get depressed in the daytime but nighttime is a killer for me :/

Now the feelings I experience during these depressive episodes are completely negative, as you would expect. I can't see any positives and anything anyone says to me, just seems to be false information. I usually feel that people are better than me in every way shape and form. And that I'll never be able to be as good as them at anything in life.
    And then also I'm horrendously insecure so that also causes me to become depressed too unfortunately. Now Im not sure how to overcome this insecure behaviour of mine either. The main problem during these depressive episodes is that I completely lose control of my mind and end up in a state where I'm not controlling myself (if that makes sense). Therefore, the things you see me post on here during those times, I don't realize what's been said until I snap out of those episodes (usually the morning after). Hence there are some really negative things said and things I wouldn't normally say when I am fully engaged in life.
    So I apologize if I ever get nasty or anything towards you, just remember,bet please that I'm not myself during those times and I'm not controlling myself. If you do stumble upon a post of mine which clearly indicates I'm depressed, please do ignore it.
    It's beneficial in the long run if no actions are made upon those posts. It's just me venting and letting it all out. But I have my own thread for that now so don't expect to see many of them.

There's not really a lot to say here other than I just feel really down and dejected during those times. Nothing seems to cure it currently, aside from sleeping. Luckily it happens at night so I can just sleep to remove it from my system and start the next morning happier than the night before.
    Unfortunately, it usually carries over to the morning, but to a much lesser extent.

And I believe that covers everything for now. If I have missed anything or there's something you would like to know, please do not hesitate to ask me. I will do my best to reply if there are any questions etc...
    My VMs and PMs are currently closed to everyone except my contacts on here, so if you can't send a message that way, that'd be why.

Bye for now!

Outline of condition:

Bye for now!
    :jumphug:
    Fireapple <3

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.