Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billyalan)
    Would hydrogen has to be exstracted by electrolysis not be a disadvantage?
    That's what I wrote! Not sure though, that's what I remember from my revision guide, let's hope so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #1Mathlete)
    C1 past grade boundaries
    2015: A* 50, A 41, B 31, C 22, D 13
    2014: A* 47, A 38, B 29, C 21, D 13
    2013: A* 47, A 37, B 27, C 17, D 8

I reckon this year was most similar to 2015 in terms of difficulty so use that
    So do you think that the hrade boundary will be 50 for this year as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    This is for the higher tier

Question 1
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Electron shell: 2,3( 1 mark)
    Nucleus( 1 mark)
    Neutron is uncharged, proton has a charge of +1 ( 3 marks)

Not in form 2,8,8, has 1,8. Neon has 10 electrons, the structure had 9 electrons, doesn't have a full outer shell but neon does (
    3 marks)
    Question 2
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Tick box: copper oxide(1)

20.3(2 marks)

Digital thermometer, more precise and not subject to human error
    Beaker insulated( any forms of insulation really:lid, wool etc.(2)

Carbon particles produced( particulates)Insufficient oxygen or incomplete combustion(2)

Best fuel because it produces least smoke/ burns the most cleanly. Produces the most energy per g(2)
    Question 3
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Advantages of hydrogen;
    Only product water
    Renewable
    Provides more energy
    No co2 or s02 released

Disadvantages:
    Hydrogen is explosive
    Hard to store because it is a gas
    From natural gas( methane which is a greenhouse gas)
    Engines need to be converted( 6 marks)

Thermal decomposition(1)

Question on potassium carbonate: doesn't thermally decompose, co2 not released, Bunsen burner temperature is not high enough( 3 marks)

Reactivity question: the lower the metal on the reactivity series, the easier it is broken down(2)
    Question 4:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Conditions for cracking: high temperatures/400-700 degrees and a (hot) catalyst/Aluminium Oxide (2 marks)

Fermentation question: sugar is dissolved and yeast is added to make ethanol(2)

Ethanol question: ethene is reacted with steam at high temperatures and catalyst(2)

Advantages and disadvantages of crude oil vs plants: Crude oil is a continuous process so faster. The ethanol produced from crude oil is more pure than plants and biofuel.Crude oil is more widely available, crude oil is more reliable.

Non renewable, co2( global warming), SO2

(4 marks)
    Question 5
    Spoiler:
    Show
    metal ores are ores which contain enough of the metal to be worthwhile extracting( 1 mark)

It is converted to steel because cast iron is brittle or to make it stronger
    Steel has more uses
    Corrosion resistant
    ( 2 marks)

2Fe2O3+ 3C = 4Fe+ 3CO2( 2 marks) 1 mark for correctly balaned, another for realising Iron was made.

It is not sent to landfill because this takes up space and causes pollution
    It is not reused as it might have lost its strength and become unstable. It is recycled because it saves energy being used. Conserves raw material. Less Quarrying needed.
    3 marks)

Question on distillation: Heat mixture between 80-99 degrees, the ethanol evaporates, cools and condenses to form pure ethanol and then raise temperature to 100 when all ethanol has evaporated to do the same to water. Maybe a mark for saying ethanol has a lower boiling point than water.( 3 marks).

Question on carbon neutral/global warming: carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas
    This takes up CO2 when it grows in photosynthesis
    The same amount is released when biofuel or oils are burned
    So no overall increase in CO2
    Continuous Carbon Cycle(3)

Last question on hydrogenation; 60 degrees, reacted with hydrogen, nickel catalyst, double bonds converted into single bonds, increasing melting point, done so that's it's a solid at room temperature for a thick, spreadable consistency (5)
    Random ones:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Mark somewhere for completing drawing of the alkane(1)

Bromine goes colourless somewhere(1) Clear is not acceptable.
    Took me a while to make so any rep would be much appreciated . I hope this helped you all, I was getting impatient with it not being made in time so I made my own.
    Hi, you said for one of the wuestions as you go further down the reactivity series it breaks down easier, but doesnt reactivity decrease as you go down the reactivity series?

ReputationRep:
    I put data logger instead of digital thermometer? Would that be okay? I don't think so tbh but I just want to check

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilianna_m8)
    Yep! I'm on the same boat as you. Well kinda. I think I got a B, so now I need to get two A*s for an overall grade of an A* or two As/ one A and one A* to get an overall grade of an A. Calculated everything last night. I was so upset as my C1 didn't go so well.

Good luck!
    Yh, same I know I could've done much better. the exam was overall easy. I just think that that last 5 marker and a couple other things I just slipped up on. Did u see that there was 18 marks all about crude oils????? Good luck though hope you get the grades you want .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priya_K)
    I think that would be a solid B. I harshly marked myself and got around 45/44 marks, hopefully that's an A. It'll be even better if they have lower grade boundaries this year!
    I will be okay with that , I can only hope for low grade boundaries to possibly get a better grade

ReputationRep:
    Was that definitely question 5?
    yeah it is
    but the answer given is more of a 4 mark than 5. You need to mention WHY someone would harden the unsaturated oil

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I could help
    What do you think the grade boundaries will be for this paper? (And the b1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucofthewoods)
    What do you think the grade boundaries will be for this paper? (And the b1)
    He thinks Chemistry be around 50 ( same as last year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curlewsand)
    Would mentioning that you can make margarine and having a longer shelf life be two marks for the last question?
    yep i wroye that too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FitzpatrickR)
    The tick box question was copper oxide. I think
    How was it cooper oxide? The tick box one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omz123)
    How was it cooper oxide? The tick box one
    It was calcium oxide

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habina786xx)
    It was calcium oxide

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was copper oxide and it was copper oxide because it was a thermal decomp reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueribbons99)
    It was copper oxide and it was copper oxide because it was a thermal decomp reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But calcium carbonate thermally decomposes to co2 and Calcium oxide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habina786xx)
    But calcium carbonate thermally decomposes to co2 and Calcium oxide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm.... I thought It asked something similar. I ticked "copper" because I'm sure that the question related into the answer meaning it was a reduction not oxidation. If that was the case then the reaction would've been CuO --> (heat) ---> Copper + Carbon Dioxide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redsoules)
    Hmm.... I thought It asked something similar. I ticked "copper" because I'm sure that the question related into the answer meaning it was a reduction not oxidation. If that was the case then the reaction would've been CuO --> (heat) ---> Copper + Carbon Dioxide
    It was copper oxide I asked my teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redsoules)
    Ohhh yes!! Sorry just remembered the question now!

I think it said when copper decomposes....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnyBoys)
    '
    Incomplete combustion occurs when the supply of air or oxygen is poor. Water is still produced, but carbon monoxide and carbon are produced instead of carbon dioxide. The carbon is released as soot.'
    From bitesize. Soot forms as well he was right.
    Hey guys, I put down that soot was formed but I didn't specifically say it was due to incomplete combustion but I said that the carbon did not react with oxygen, thus leaving a deposit of soot. Would I get two marks or 1 mark?

Also, do you think I might get full marks on the hydrogenation question if I said: reacts with hydrogen, at 60oC in presence of nickel ctalyst - to increase melting point so is solid at room temperature and can therefore be used as spreads etc.

Do you think 52/60 would be an A*?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnfraser)
    Hey guys, I put down that soot was formed but I didn't specifically say it was due to incomplete combustion but I said that the carbon did not react with oxygen, thus leaving a deposit of soot. Would I get two marks or 1 mark?

Also, do you think I might get full marks on the hydrogenation question if I said: reacts with hydrogen, at 60oC in presence of nickel ctalyst - to increase melting point so is solid at room temperature and can therefore be used as spreads etc.

Do you think 52/60 would be an A*?

Cheers!
    Yep you got full marks on both. Considering how well people did this year you may just skim the A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnyBoys)
    Yep you got full marks on both. Considering how well people did this year you may just skim the A*
    Marvellous - thanks for your input! I got 100UMS on my ISA so I think I can afford to drop a few marks on c1 if I make it up on the other papers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.