Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think immunity might be a topic on this paper ? I know there was a bit on the last but still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mubstar)
    WOW! THANKS SO MUCH!!!! That's great thankyou!!!
    No probs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basically-Banter)
    Does anybody have predictions for the two 5 markers at the end of paper 2?
    Also any tips on how to get full marks on both of those 5 markers?
    One of them might be on the cardiac cycle. The heart hasn't appeared on both specimens and paper 1.Maybe something on the mass flow hypothesis for the second 5 marker, or possibly something to do with practical investigations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparky2016)
    Does anyone think immunity might be a topic on this paper ? I know there was a bit on the last but still
    Its unlikely to appear but could still come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilmaWizard)
    Its unlikely to appear but could still come up.
    What topics are you revising

ReputationRep:
    What topics are you revising
    I'm revising everything because any unit 1-4 could appear on both papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RKM21)
    Mitosis
    How does variation arise in meiosis
    DNA replication
    Protein Synthesis - Transcription/Translation
    Cohesion-Tension theory
    Structure of the phloem
    The cardiac cycle.
    Describe the process and outline how each occurs.
    Thank u soo much!!!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain Transpiration please

ReputationRep:
    What would you write about on a 5 mark cardiac cycle question? I don't understand it

ReputationRep:
    What would you write about on a 5 mark cardiac cycle question? I don't understand it
    Something like this is how I'd do it:

Both atria contract (atria systole), Atrioventricular valves are open as pressure in the ventricles is below that of the atria. Blood is now in both ventricles.
    The ventricles then contract (Ventricular systole). This increases pressure in the ventricles above that of the atria, so to prevent backflow of blood the atrioventricular valves shut (supported by cords so they don't get pushed into the atria). The pressure in the ventricles is also higher than that in their respective vessels, the pulmonary artery and the aorta, so the semi-lunar valves both open to allow blood through.
    As blood empties and the ventricles relax, the pressure in the ventricles falls below that of the vessels, so the semi-lunar valves close to prevent backflow. The atrioventricular valves also open once ventricles are relaxed and both atria and ventricles are in diastole, and can begin refilling with blood.

I don't know really what would get the marks and what wouldn't, but in my mind basically outlining the pressure differences and what that does to the valves is what they're looking for and the flow of blood. I'd start with the atria contracting as it just seems logical, I don't know if specifically you'd have to start there as it is a cycle really!

Hope this has helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BamSrown)
    Can someone explain Transpiration please
    Transpiration is just the loss of water from a plants surface. This is essentially just evaporation- it will increase with a high temperature (due to kinetic energy); higher light intensity; or increase in water potential gradient (lack of humidity, water vapour in air).

When water evaporates, it creates tension as it pulls more water up, and out of the xylem. This is caused by water being cohesive (the Hydrogen bonds cause this). This creates a continuous flow of water up the xylem as a column. The xylem tissues are adapted for this as they are long, to create the column; they have no organelles to obstruct water; they have thick walls to withstand tension; and they have pits in their walls for lateral movement.

ReputationRep:
    Am i correct in saying that everything that came up in paper 1 was from sections 1+2 only
    Whilst not everything from these sections appeared in the exam im thinking its wise to also re-revise these first 2 sections but focus mostly on sections 3+4.
    Could anyone give me a few pointers on what not to revise from sections 1+2 (i.e what already came up on the previous exam)
    and could someone please give me some examples of experiments which may come up in this next exam (as this was my downfall on paper 1)
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    On the last question for paper 1 was two of the parts these:
    Mutation cause more Beta and less Alpha secret add leading to higher risk of Alzheimer's, explain how?
    How could a drug that is a competitive inhibitor of Beta secretase reduce risk of Alzheimer's?
    If these were the questions how many marks for each?

ReputationRep:
    hey, what topics are most likely to come out for paper 2?( What didn't come out in paper 1?)

ReputationRep:
    How much do we need to know about taxonomic ranking?
    I only revised the Domain Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species (order of taxonomic ranking) I haven't revised the types of domain, kingdoms etc, but they always seem to come up in PPQ?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please simply explain the formation and return of tissue fluid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisteria_xo)
    How much do we need to know about taxonomic ranking?
    I only revised the Domain Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species (order of taxonomic ranking) I haven't revised the types of domain, kingdoms etc, but they always seem to come up in PPQ?
    I've seen questions where they ask you to put the categories in order but I guess the most they ask is mainly focused on the genus and species element - organisms belong to the same species if they are able to produce fertile offspring & it's binomial name consists of Genus and species

ReputationRep:
    Could someone list the topics that came up in the first exam for me please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Panic Queen)
    I've seen questions where they ask you to put the categories in order but I guess the most they ask is mainly focused on the genus and species element - organisms belong to the same species if they are able to produce fertile offspring & it's binomial name consists of Genus and species
    Ahhh I get what you mean thank you !

ReputationRep:
    Anyone go link to set 2 - specimen paper 2

There was no questions on Protein synthesis - definitely will come up

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.