Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Thanks! I'm sure I printed off this haha, probably stored it away with all my AS work...

Looks like I'm going to have to get revising
    If you've done it right you won't need the formula book for any trig identities but it's nice to have. You'll be fine anyway from your AS results

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I won't be wasting my frees this year, timetable comes on wednesday and I start thursday

ReputationRep:
    How do you integrate  \surd (1-\sin x) given that  \frac{\pi }{2} \leq x \leq \frac{5\pi }{2} ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)
    How do you integrate  \surd (1-\sin x) given that  \frac{\pi }{2} \leq x \leq \frac{5\pi }{2} ?
    Use u=sin(x)

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't the 4 negative?

(Edexcel Jan 2006 C3 Q6a if you need to question)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  491.8 KB

ReputationRep:

It should be.. as far as I can see.

ReputationRep:

Ah I see, easy mistake to make you've expanded cos(x-a) rather than cos(x+a) given in the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Use u=sin(x)
    What did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Ah I see, easy mistake to make you've expanded cos(x-a) rather than cos(x+a) given in the question.
    Ahh I see, thank you! I need to be more careful next time

ReputationRep:
    What did you get?
    Is that restriction for x supposed to mean the limits of integration? I'm unsure how significant it is, but to integrate that expression;

\displaystyle \int \sqrt{1-\text{sin}(x)} .dx

let \displaystyle u=sin(x) \rightarrow du=cos(x) .dx

\displaystyle \rightarrow \int \frac{\sqrt{1-u}}{cos(x)} .du

Draw yourself a right angled triangle. Use the fact that u=sin(x) and you will find that cos(x)=\sqrt{1-u^2}

\displaystyle \rightarrow \int \frac{\sqrt{1-u}}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} .du = \int \frac{\sqrt{1-u}}{\sqrt{(1+u)(1-u)}} .du

and I'll let you finish that off.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see, thank you! I need to be more careful next time
    No worries, you learn more from mistakes than getting things right, and eventually for each topic you build a mental checklist (trig is probably the worst for it) of things to look out for. Eg radians/degrees, cancelling solutions, right range of solutions etc. And if you have to, underlining key bits of information given in the question.

ReputationRep:
    Note that  \sqrt{1-\sin x}\equiv \sqrt{sin^2(x/2) -2\sin (x/2)\cos (x/2) + \cos^2 (x/2)}
      \equiv \sqrt{(\sin (x/2)-\cos (x/2) )^2 } \equiv |\sin (x/2) - \cos (x/2)| .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    This integral is not expected is C4 but you can still apply normal substitution methods.
    What cud i do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    What cud i do
    Exactly that. Use substitution x=\text{tan}\theta . The method itself is C3.

If you're asking "How do I know to substitute that?" then just start with y=\text{arctan}(x) and find dy/dx. The substitution is based off this result.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly that. Use substitution x=\text{tan}\theta . The method itself is C3.

If you're asking "How do I know to substitute that?" then just start with y=\text{arctan}(x) and find dy/dx. The substitution is based off this result.
    The substitution isn't based off that result. You could integrate 1/(1+x^2) independently without knowing the derivative of arctan x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    The substitution isn't based off that result. You could integrate 1/(1+x^2) independently without knowing the derivative of arctan x.
    As far as C3/C4 goes? How?

ReputationRep:
    As far as C3/C4 goes? How?
    It's not in C3/C4. But that doesn't change the methods for finding the integral.

ReputationRep:
    I've cooked STEP I 2007 Q3; STEP I 2007 Q1 has almost finished cooking in the oven too.

EDIT: STEP I 2007 Q1 ready too though I did some dodgy work when I ended up proving the general case in order to do show the special case.

ReputationRep:
    Just joining this thread in advance now...

I've dropped from Further Maths to just Maths, and I my applied unit will be M1...
    I'm sad to no longer be doing FMaths, but it didn't match my career aspirations, and there was no way I was taking 4 subjects :lol:

I hate being in just a standard maths class already, though :lol:

ReputationRep:
    STEP I 2007 Q8 in the bag too. Will try more MAT and IYGB papers now.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.