Turn on thread page Beta

Military going nuts in turkey, Bridges closed? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    I was watching the bridge stuff live as it happened.
    Some people did start beating the soldiers, and some were suggesting to throw them off, but armed police and some elders formed protection around the beaten soldiers to stop those who wanted to beat them more.
    there are photos uploaded to facebook/liveleak of soldiers at the bridge with their throats cut/beaten to death by violent protesters, two of the tank crews were also killed after they were dragged from the vehicle and beaten. The police did not intervene to stop them.

I would link but I don't want to be banned again.

google it

ReputationRep:
    Um, the Turkish PM has basically said that any country that 'stands by' Gulem will be considered at war with Turkey... which means the USA, where Gulem lives in exile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    Democracy has prevailed :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Looool.

#SultanErdogan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    Turkish authorities have sacked 2,745 judges this morning - surely all of them weren't involved in the coup?
    So it begins. #DemocracyRestored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    So it begins. #DemocracyRestored
    Loool, now it's all about democracy?

After most of you were supporting an undemocratic coup?

Haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlifunArnab)
    Loool, now it's all about democracy?

After most of you were supporting an undemocratic coup?

Haha.
    I didn't support the coup. I'm just pointing out that Erdogan will take advantage of it to purge the administration and only appoint puppets instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Um, the Turkish PM has basically said that any country that 'stands by' Gulem will be considered at war with Turkey... which means the USA, where Gulem lives in exile.
    And they've essentially closed the USAF base at Incirlik, being used to launch the attacks on IS. That's going to go down well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    And they've essentially closed the USAF base at Incirlik, being used to launch the attacks IS. That's going to go down well...
    Once again Erdogan is playing with fire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    The second the Americans don't need him, we'll start hearing rumours of another coup or Erdgogan needing to step down for 'family reasons'.

What an idiot. You don't mess around with the US of A' like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Lol. The more I'm finding out about Turkey under this prime minister the more I feel for them. They're like the one decent Muslim country, military speaking, aren't they? After itching the Russians, if they start with America last night's coup could look like a normal Friday night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    The second the Americans don't need him, we'll start hearing rumours of another coup or Erdgogan needing to step down for 'family reasons'.

What an idiot. You don't mess around with the US of A' like that.
    That's the thing, the military commander wasn't authorising the coup was he? When the actually military turns on Erdgogan, it should be a lot different.

ReputationRep:
    Lol that was a fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    Sorry but i dont know much about erdogan. Whats the problem with him? Surely the AK party was elected democratically?
    I guess the problem with erdogan is that he is a religious man. So the problem is Islam. Right guys?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernorC)
    I guess the problem with erdogan is that he is a religious man. So the problem is Islam. Right guys?
    It's not about him being religious. The issue is more the threat to secularism that he poses. But there are other issues too. In the 2014 elections for example, between July the 2nd and 4th, state TV channel TRT gave 204 minutes coverage to Erdogan and gave less than a total of 3 minutes coverage to both his rivals.

http://www.bbc.com/turkce/haberler/2...rt_times.shtml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    That is the left wing party, not the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    It's not about him being religious. The issue is more the threat to secularism that he poses. But there are other issues too. In the 2014 elections for example, between July the 2nd and 4th, state TV channel TRT gave 204 minutes coverage to Erdogan and gave less than a total of 3 minutes coverage to both his rivals.

http://www.bbc.com/turkce/haberler/2...rt_times.shtml
    it doesnt matter. he was going win, anyways. AK Party gets almost 50%
    people dont vote AK Party because they like it, they vote because they like erdogan.

plus maybe his rivals didnt use TRT, but they used the other channels.

ReputationRep:
    it doesnt matter. he was going win, anyways. AK Party gets almost 50%
    people dont vote AK Party because they like it, they vote because they like erdogan.
    Then there was no need for such biased reporting from the state media station.

plus maybe his rivals didnt use TRT, but they used the other channels.
    We are not talking about a private broadcaster here, but rather a state broadcaster. A state broadcaster should be impartial. A state broadcaster that broadcasts in the favour of the current leader only is merely a propaganda outlet. It's almost farcical to the extent that you would defend an impartial state broadcaster. It is almost comparable to the broadcasting one comes across on the North Korean state broadcaster KCTV. Would you like to make apologetic arguments for KCTV too while you are at it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Then there was no need for such biased reporting from the state media station.

We are not talking about a private broadcaster here, but rather a state broadcaster. A state broadcaster should be impartial. A state broadcaster that broadcasts in the favour of the current leader only is merely a propaganda outlet. It's almost farcical to the extent that you would defend an impartial state broadcaster. It is almost comparable to the broadcasting one comes across on the North Korean state broadcaster KCTV. Would you like to make apologetic arguments for KCTV too while you are at it?
    okay, ı just checked it and only HDP got 3 minutes. ı know still the other parties didnt have as much time as erdogan. and TRT was punished for that over than 25 times for that during elections.
    so there is nothing unfair

ReputationRep:
    He has just removed 2700 judges and prosecutors. I would be against this even if he were atheist.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.