Someone decided to bump up a 13 year old thread on the SDMB recently

*shock*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)

*shock*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The problem is, that it's bad forum etiquette to bump up such ancient threads unless there is a valid reason.

That's why the TSR forums has a 6 month rule, in which anything older than 6 months old should be continued under a new thread, rather than bumping it up. Of course, there are circumstances where it would be relevant to bump the thread, but only do so if it is relevant and you are actually adding something decent to the conversation. Otherwise, a new thread is best.

(Original post by spotify95)
    The problem is, that it's bad forum etiquette to bump up such ancient threads unless there is a valid reason.

That's why the TSR forums has a 6 month rule, in which anything older than 6 months old should be continued under a new thread, rather than bumping it up. Of course, there are circumstances where it would be relevant to bump the thread, but only do so if it is relevant and you are actually adding something decent to the conversation. Otherwise, a new thread is best.

Surely, the person who posted on that forum was not interested in the discussion, receiving reply from the original poster is not an option as well, unless that user is still there which is quite unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're good at getting these hundreds

Of course I am :yep: I am a 2 time last person to post here Champion you know. :king1:

I'm the master when it comes to winning 100s I won loads in the other thread :giggle:

(Original post by RavioliDance)
    Wonder how they'll feel when I soon get a 100 instead of them?

Nothing lol go for it, I will congratulate you if you do :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)

Of course I am :yep: I am a 2 time last person to post here Champion you know. :king1:

I'm the master when it comes to winning 100s I won loads in the other thread :giggle:

But u only won 1 in this current
    :mmm:
    Loool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mediaya)
    But u only won 1 in this current
    :mmm:
    Loool

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's because I'm not trying, I'm letting you guys win lol :lol:

If I wanted to I'll be on the top of the list right now with the most wins :proud:

You forget to add the number in

ReputationRep:

100 post stats:

mr T 999 - 4

someonethinking - 1

ReputationRep:

That's because I'm not trying, I'm letting you guys win lol :lol:

If I wanted to I'll be on the top of the list right now with the most wins :proud:

You forget to add the number in
    Oh ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Surely, the person who posted on that forum was not interested in the discussion, receiving reply from the original poster is not an option as well, unless that user is still there which is quite unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you're right, especially since, as you said, the original poster (and many of the other posters from 2003) will likely not be posting on here anymore. The same goes for other forums, the OPs of such old threads are likely no longer active members.

I just don't get why such old threads get bumped, unless it was the first thread on a Google Search and they forgot to check the date?

I think you're right, especially since, as you said, the original poster (and many of the other posters from 2003) will likely not be posting on here anymore. The same goes for other forums, the OPs of such old threads are likely no longer active members.

I just don't get why such old threads get bumped, unless it was the first thread on a Google Search and they forgot to check the date?

I doubt it was a Google search, as a rule Google is always trying to provide most recent and popular information so I assume the poster had to scroll endlessly to find this particular forum along with the ancient thread.

As for the user intention.. It is a mystery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Awesome! Oh yes,the Last to Post thread, you're very good at that

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it was a Google search, as a rule Google is always trying to provide most recent and popular information so I assume the poster had to scroll endlessly to find this particular forum along with the ancient thread.

As for the user intention.. It is a mystery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I often wonder myself how some people manage to find all these ancient threads. I mean, if you do a Google Search, and specify the site you want to visit in the search, it doesn't do it oldest first, but possibly most popular, or most relevant first. So finding and digging up said ancient thread is not an easy task.

Having said that, I know one particular person, who also posts on here, that manages to dig up ancient threads all the time. He's done it here, on Digital Spy, and on the SDMB... More often than not, found out and action taken...

I often wonder myself how some people manage to find all these ancient threads. I mean, if you do a Google Search, and specify the site you want to visit in the search, it doesn't do it oldest first, but possibly most popular, or most relevant first. So finding and digging up said ancient thread is not an easy task.

Having said that, I know one particular person, who also posts on here, that manages to dig up ancient threads all the time. He's done it here, on Digital Spy, and on the SDMB... More often than not, found out and action taken...

Give it to them next time you see them.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Haha

By the way, I won't be online that much over the next few hours, because I am going to be reinstalling Windows... Movie Maker, amongst other things, are causing problems which need to be resolved :yep:

Haha

By the way, I won't be online that much over the next few hours, because I am going to be reinstalling Windows... Movie Maker, amongst other things, are causing problems which need to be resolved :yep:

Okay, have fun, hopefully it's not something difficult.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.