Turn on thread page Beta

If you're looking for a new mobile phone/tariff please look here first!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Despite not liking EE (after as far as we're concerned, they stole money from us) my partner and I think that their sim only pay as you go offer is the best option for me, given that:
    12 months
    15:99
    unlimited texts
    unlimited calls
    2GB of internet

At the same time I think I'll get the Nokia Lumia 530 to use it with for around £80. I expect they'll up the sim only tariff so that we end up paying in those 12 months (including how much we buy the phone for) around £280.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for phones as good as or better than that phone, and better value than the sim only we've found from a relatively reliable (whatever that means in the phone industry) tariff provider.

Also will all micro SD cards work with all mobile phones?
    Thanks a lot! TTML
    I just picked up a sim from Three, the details being:

200 minutes
    Unlimited texts
    2GB of data
    £10 a month
    12 month contract

I'm a big fan of Windows Phone, but if you're not set on the platform then I'd suggest looking at the 2013 Moto G, which is available for around £100 sim free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    I just picked up a sim from Three, the details being:

200 minutes
    Unlimited texts
    2GB of data
    £10 a month
    12 month contract

I'm a big fan of Windows Phone, but if you're not set on the platform then I'd suggest looking at the 2013 Moto G, which is available for around £100 sim free.
    I've no idea where to find sim only contracts on the three website, I must've spent an hour looking :s .

Also that phone doesn't have brilliant SD card potential from what I can see, seems to be capped at 32 GB, so I think the Lumia 530 will be a better phone (I'm hoping to be using my headphones a lot with it). But it's a great suggestion otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    3 SIM only contract is great.

I have like Unlimited Data (including tethering), like 5000 texts I think which is unlimited anyway, and 2000 mins which I never use, with unlimited 3-3 calls as well.

15 a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)

I have like Unlimited Data (including tethering), like 5000 texts I think which is unlimited anyway, and 2000 mins which I never use, with unlimited 3-3 calls as well.

15 a month
    I think I have the same it's really good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilixxx1000)
    I think I have the same it's really good
    Mine finishes in November. I wonder if they'd lower the price if I say I'll leave lol, or give it for less if I have less minutes. Like 500

ReputationRep:

15 a month
    I am going to change from t mobile to 3 because I want a plan with a lot of data. My current contract ends next month. I get 1GB data, 500 minutes and 5000 texts.
    I just need to find a way to unblock my phone so that 3 sim cards would be accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mine finishes in November. I wonder if they'd lower the price if I say I'll leave lol, or give it for less if I have less minutes. Like 500
    Yeah you could negotiate Mine's a monthly thing so it renews automatically every month unless I stop it. I think the baseline is a 24 month contract though so it finishes next August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilixxx1000)
    Yeah you could negotiate Mine's a monthly thing so it renews automatically every month unless I stop it. I think the baseline is a 24 month contract though so it finishes next August.
    Oh the one month rolling

I didn't get that because I couldn't tether with it

ReputationRep:
    Best sim only 12 month contract/pay as you go plan for 10 pounds a month? Preferably 4G, could push to 15 if needs be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea where to find sim only contracts on the three website, I must've spent an hour looking :s .

Also that phone doesn't have brilliant SD card potential from what I can see, seems to be capped at 32 GB, so I think the Lumia 530 will be a better phone (I'm hoping to be using my headphones a lot with it). But it's a great suggestion otherwise!

(Original post by ZSHNZ)
    Best sim only 12 month contract/pay as you go plan for 10 pounds a month? Preferably 4G, could push to 15 if needs be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

Choose your phone, then find the deal which has 200 minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB of data.

ReputationRep:

Choose your phone, then find the deal which has 200 minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB of data.

I don't understand though, I need to choose my phone that I've already got and they'll give me a sim only contract? Why do they need to know what sort of phone I have?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand though, I need to choose my phone that I've already got and they'll give me a sim only contract? Why do they need to know what sort of phone I have?
    Because there are different kids of sims - sim, micro sim and nano sim. Different phones take different sizes. If you get a micro sim for an HTC One M8, it won't fit.

ReputationRep:
    Because there are different kids of sims - sim, micro sim and nano sim. Different phones take different sizes. If you get a micro sim for an HTC One M8, it won't fit.
    Nope, I was looking in the wrong place! Haha

Thanks so much, found I think the right sim only for me ^^

ReputationRep:

I've seen a 10 pounds a month offer which is attractive. 2GB of Internet, is the 4G included and what's it like on 3? My current o2 4g is good by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZSHNZ)
    I've seen a 10 pounds a month offer which is attractive. 2GB of Internet, is the 4G included and what's it like on 3? My current o2 4g is good by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Each network has a coverage map on their website, which lets you see how strong the signal is where you live - that's probably the best way of deciding which network is for you

ReputationRep:
    Looking for 250-300ish minutes, 500+ texts and 500mb minimum data please, I've looked around on HUKD etc.

Would like it to be less than a tenner on sim only, or maybe 15-17 with a nice phone.

I can get NHS and student discount both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New Slaves)
    Looking for 250-300ish minutes, 500+ texts and 500mb minimum data please, I've looked around on HUKD etc.

Would like it to be less than a tenner on sim only, or maybe 15-17 with a nice phone.

I can get NHS and student discount both
    Have a look at Three, either their pay monthly sim only deals or their pay as you go. I haven't seen any other network that comes close.

ReputationRep:
    Just bought the Nokia Lumia 630, was thinking of the 530 or 520 (525 seems hard to find in the UK). Was only £100 on amazon (from amazon, so doubtful to be a scam ). Hopefully worth the extra money for a better processor etc.

I also like the fact that it should be a better size, as unlike most, I like my phones a bit bigger!

ReputationRep:
    Can you get a bundle with three for free three to three calls?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a good deal with the Nexus 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 3, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.