The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patriciaanne)
    Anyone want to be study buddies? I need motivation haha
    (I do aqa Spanish, aqa geography, aqa English lit and Lang, edexcel maths, ocr triple science and edexcel Religious education)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do AQA Spanish, English lit and lang then Edexcel maths and r.e if we ever had any questions for each other, plus I'm try to be as motivated as possible but I always get side tracked 😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pearlgrey)
    Hi, I'm Pearl! I like writing, reading and listening to music. I'm taking ten GCSEs as follows:
    English language and literature (AQA)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Biology (OCR)
    Chemistry (OCR)
    Physics (AQA)
    History (AQA)
    French (AQA)
    Spanish (AQA)
    RS (OCR)
    I'm not ready for year 11 at all since I still only feel about 11 years old!! I'm worried for the new GCSEs since I struggle enough with maths as it is so the new 'harder' GCSE isn't exactly going to work in my favour. As for English, I'm concerned about not having the texts in front of us during the exams since I don't know how I'm going to remember all those quotations alongside all the other revision I'll have to do. I guess my favourite subject would be history although I also like languages, English is ok too but the analysis can get pretty boring. I have absolutely no idea what my dream career would be! (:
    Try not to stress as much, so do things like planning your days and just being organised (includes time management) because everything is gonna be x10 harder if you're stressed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanzz)
    Unseen poetry sounds awful, but we haven't had a go at it yet at school. Here's to hoping.
    That makes sense, but I'd have no idea which route I'm on. I'll have to ask my teacher next lesson - had a look on the WJEC website, but didn't see anything on ICT routes.
    Well done on your A!!! Sort of wish we'd have done it like you. We're still waiting for our coursework grades, but should get them in the next few weeks.
    Unseen poetry isn't that bad really. It's just not up my street. I'm the opposite to you, really. I enjoy creative writing and stuff like that.

I'm sure you did really well in your coursework. We kept getting updates on our current grades as we were completing the coursework unit, and we had our final grades straight after we finished the coursework; I assumed other schools did the same. I had an A* in mine, and I'm not even a straight-A student. I'm predicted to get all C's, but i'm aiming for A's and B's. I think that's a pretty realistic goal. Thank you by the way. Good luck to you! I know you'll ace that coursework.

I've never really checked on the WJEC website for information on stuff like routes. My teachers didn't tell us we were on different routes either, though my Geography teacher pointed out we were on Specification B. That was at the beginning of Year 10, though, so I didn't know what Spec B meant.

I only know I'm on Route B because it said so on my Results Sheet.

Good luck for all your exams this year. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I know you are all focused on your GCSEs, but work experience is also quite important for university and CVs etc. I was wondering whether anyone here has done any for medical related things? Does anyone know where I could inquire about medical work experience in year 11?

(Original post by PatriciaLapitan)
    Hey guys, I know you are all focused on your GCSEs, but work experience is also quite important for university and CVs etc. I was wondering whether anyone here has done any for medical related things? Does anyone know where I could inquire about medical work experience in year 11?
    Medical work experience is not easy to get if you're under 16. You could look into volunteering at a care home or charity shop for the time being, however.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I've had a lot of trouble finding work experience too - not sure where you live (obviously), but the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham has a work experience programme. It's worth looking around the internet to see if hospitals near you have work experience programmes like this? It took me a while to find it, although it seems to be quite well-known?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)
    I do AQA Spanish, English lit and lang then Edexcel maths and r.e if we ever had any questions for each other, plus I'm try to be as motivated as possible but I always get side tracked 😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll be sure to message you if I need help . Also which books/plays are you studying in English lit, and which units are you doing in RE?
    (Im doing Blood brothers, A christmas carol and Romeo and Juliet // and Unit 3 and 8 for RE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepearl7)
    What marks is everyone getting in the Maths papers? And how do you guys revise for it?
    I haven't done any proper mocks yet, but I often "revise" for Maths, by, nearly daily, practice of topics I am weaker at. I'd advise doing frequent gap analysis, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I haven't done any proper mocks yet, but I often "revise" for Maths, by, nearly daily, practice of topics I am weaker at. I'd advise doing frequent gap analysis, too.
    PRSOM!

ReputationRep:
    Quote of the week for me is "Motivation is the breakfast to success." thanks to Hey It's Cerian, defo worked for me.
    There will be one on Monday for all so watch this space.
    - JTran38

ReputationRep:
    Because most of the maths department has left, I (a top set yr 11) have a pe teacher who doesn't really know what he's doing and is confusing. Do you think it's possible to self teach myself the rest of the course as I'm not going to learn much from him- even though hes apparently leaving in October but that's still alot of learning time lost. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkypaz123)
    Because most of the maths department has left, I (a top set yr 11) have a pe teacher who doesn't really know what he's doing and is confusing. Do you think it's possible to self teach myself the rest of the course as I'm not going to learn much from him- even though hes apparently leaving in October but that's still alot of learning time lost. What do you think?
    Yes, of course you can! What exam board are you on? (so I can link you the spec)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Hi Tasha!

I'm doing 9 GCSEs this year (inc. Triple Science, RS, French and History), having done 1 in Year 10 (IT) and 1 in Year 9 (Citizenship). What GCSE options did you take?
    thats good!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    maths - edexcel
    english- aqa
    triple science- ocr
    french- aqa
    computing-ocr
    citizenship-edexcel
    history-edexcel

ok its less than 10 lol..think thats everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha_tah)
    thats good!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    maths - edexcel
    english- aqa
    triple science- ocr
    french- aqa
    computing-ocr
    citizenship-edexcel
    history-edexcel

ok its less than 10 lol..think thats everything
    It is probably 10 since Triple Science is 3 GCSEs, and you're probably doing EngLit along with EngLang.

Good luck!

Do you have any plans for the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    It is probably 10 since Triple Science is 3 GCSEs, and you're probably doing EngLit along with EngLang.

Good luck!

Do you have any plans for the future?
    Yes that's true...I'm also doing further maths at gcse too

U too !

Well.. I haven't really chosen my career path yet atm but I want to do a levels next ...ill have to look into some courses

What about u ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a couple of things that are related to medicine (it may be something I'll be doing in the future, and if I do study medicine I want to do Psychiatry)

I'm currently doing;

- 7CUPS Internship (10 hours pw per 8 wks of counselling for others, and a range of other things) and I've been taking part in the illness/chronic pain support sections
    - I'll be participating in a sports club for disabled children/children with chronic illnesses, by a charity that supports ill children/children with disabilities etc
    - I'll be helping out as a yoga assistant for children, and I'm really excited as it will give me oppertunities to work with chilren & also work for their wellbeing and combating stress through relaxation & meditation etc

Personally I am currently looking for work experience where I can. I took an hour to phone to hospitals across London, and I did get some results I recommend just trying to fish around trying to see if youcan find anything x

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Is anyone doing furher maths? If you are what is the content like and how are you finding it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepearl7)
    Hey,

Is anyone doing furher maths? If you are what is the content like and how are you finding it?
    Hey

Yes I'm doing further maths u?

Well we just started it so it's okay atm but I think it'll get harder

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I also forgot to mention - my family is very close friends with my dentist, and I asked her if I could have wex at her dentistry. She said that in the previous years she's emailed schools about it, but not all schools allow the work experience to take place according to her. She's going to ask for me, but we'll see how it goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha_tah)
    Yes that's true...I'm also doing further maths at gcse too

U too !

Well.. I haven't really chosen my career path yet atm but I want to do a levels next ...ill have to look into some courses

What about u ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to take for A-level: Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics, to go into a career path involving CS

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.