Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Between 1,000 and 5,000 but if it's purely an essay with nothing else to go with it then it needs to be close to 5,000 (my teacher said max 10% less, so 4,500). I have the same problem, I need to write like another 2,000 words and there's literally nothing else to say!
    Mine's like 8000 words long, I got a bit carried away, will I be penalised do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourfulcrissi)
    Mine's like 8000 words long, I got a bit carried away, will I be penalised do you think?
    I'm not really sure but I don't think so. I know some people from my school had gone well over the word limit and still got A*s, so if you are penalised for it, it can't be too severely.

ReputationRep:
    As long as it's all relevant you won't be penalised, it's only if your essay contains lots of waffle and unnecessary info that you will lose marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themathsroom)
    The extended project is simply superb. One can explore a subject of one's choice. For example, I am studying the increase in anglicisms being used in modern French since 1960. Can anyone think of anything more fun?! It perfectly complements my other courses and my contact at Cambridge says that Trinity College love it. Bravo me!!
    You go to a private school, don't you?

I can think of a lot fun things :rolleyes:

Finally reached 3,000 words. only 2,000 left to go :woo:

however my supervisor has essentially told me to "dumb down" the parts on the microbiology of what I'm doing my essay on.. I don't think this is possible. Might just have to try and explain what everything is, immune system etc, before talking about it but eh seems so pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Well I had almost 7000 words and I wasn't penalised I'm sure it'll be fine if it's because your project is detailed, and not because you went off-topic.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I'm not in a fantastic position to advise you but anyways.
    I'm taking Psychology, English lit, Law and French along with Level 3 Extended Project (i'm planning to study Social Work). I enjoy the project due to being able to research whatever wanted (i'm doing the Chernobyl accident) instead of being stuck to the same routine of the usual A level study.
    But...
    I have a friend who needed CCC, got CDD, BUT had extended project so they accepted him onto the course.
    I also think that it'll depend more on your A level results. Medicine i believe is difficult to get into but if your grades are of standard and you try hard, I don't see why have extended project would hinder you.
    Sorry for lack of help
    x

ReputationRep:
    Mine is about the differences between British and American English.
    I've got about 4600 words now, so it only really needs tweaking then it should be good to go

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I am doing my EPQ on stem cells.
    My title is 'Why are stem cells so special?'
    Is that a good title?

In my essay I wish to write about how beneficial stem cells are to people suffering from specific diseases. I also want to talk about the ethical issues associated with stem cells.

Do you think my title suits my essay?

Thank you ever soo much

ReputationRep:
    The penalty is small.
    I went way, way over the expected amount - I'm talking about pages and pages over.
    They docked me one mark for this.

ReputationRep:
    Unis won't expect applicants to take an EPQ since not all schools offer them, so some applicants could be unfairly disadvantaged. BUT that said I imagine they would be impressed if you did it and got a good grade. It shows that you have the kind of work ethic, enthusiasm and capacity for independent work that they would like to see in their students.

My 0.02$.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    It's a good title and a common one too :p:
    You should start by planning exactly what you want to put in your essay and then do a bit of research. I divided my project into 4 parts, named them each and bullet pointed what I wanted to put in each. Research may take you some time, just remember to keep the links you've used information from and make sure that they're trusted websites...not wikipedia for example. You could explain what stem cells are if you want, do whatever you'd like to do.

Maybe you could research particular diseases(?) that are helped by adult stem cell therapy, the future of stem cells and even the use of umbilical cord stem cells (kinda).
    Wow thank you soo much! I will do that. Yh lots of people told me research can take long...Good luck for your epq:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God Help Me)
    Wow thank you soo much! I will do that. Yh lots of people told me research can take long...Good luck for your epq:woo:
    Hiya, not sure if this has been asked but can't face trawling through the last 26 pages of thread :rolleyes:
    I really want to do a piece of creative writing for my EPQ - it's relevant to my Uni choices (either English Lit and Drama or Creative Writing and Drama or English Lit with FIlm & Theatre... )
    Anyway, I know that there should be a piece of research involved. Any ideas how I could incorporate that?
    Also, I quite like the idea of developing a TV script - would researching the conventins for this (eg camera shots, FX etc) be a good research? And could it be based on an existing series or would I have to invent my own?

AND from this thread just realised - when is it examined? NEXT year or this year? 'Cos people were talking about putting it on UCAS - does that mean it needs to be graded by next Autumn i.e examined this summer? EEK! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Helooo!
    Please help me chooseee!

I was going to do my EPQ on Stem Cells and their benefits (this is not the title)
    But now after watching a documentary on snakes, I am thinking of writing on Snakes and something to do with their venoms (like how they attack your body, how one snake's venom can cure a bit from another snake).

I am planning to do medicine..I like both Topics! I dont know which to choose

Please help me! Thank youu!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God Help Me)
    Helooo!
    Please help me chooseee!

I was going to do my EPQ on Stem Cells and their benefits (this is not the title)
    But now after watching a documentary on snakes, I am thinking of writing on Snakes and something to do with their venoms (like how they attack your body, how one snake's venom can cure a bit from another snake).

I am planning to do medicine..I like both Topics! I dont know which to choose

Please help me! Thank youu!
    The second one. It sounds so much more interesting than the first one (which, by the way, is a common topic) and would be a great talking point at interview.

ReputationRep:
    if anyone would enter my survey I will offer them 'virtual' love forever!!
    Its on survey monkey, not some random virus spam website.
    I just realised I have one week to completly re-write it all!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WLMX9MZ

ReputationRep:
    if anyone would enter my survey I will offer them 'virtual' love forever!!
    Its on survey monkey, not some random virus spam website.
    I just realised I have one week to completly re-write it all!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WLMX9MZ
    I was going to do it, but as an 18 year old I fit into none of the options of the first question, sorry :o:

ReputationRep:
    Hey people. Want to do EPQ next year, hopefully if I get accepted. But I'm a bit confused about what topic to do it on. At first I was thinking schizophrenia, I've had a long family history of schizophrenics. But I have done work experience in my hospitals oncology ward, so I could take some interesting pictures and gain more in-depth information from it. I would probably enjoy doing both topics, so now I have no idea what to do.

Any advice appreciated

Could also write about cancer in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moody28028)
    I was going to do it, but as an 18 year old I fit into none of the options of the first question, sorry :o:
    oh pish posh
    one's always gotta be awkward right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moody28028)
    but you're absolutely right, changed just for you...

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen it over General Studies, Critical thinking etc...

I was so surprised that it's highly regarded, even if it is further reading - is it literally just a long essay/project and a presentation on anything you like in the whole entire world?

If so, how hard is it to get an A/A*? What is it marked by? How much research you've done for example?

Also, what sort of topics have you written about? Philosophical things?

Thanks.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.