UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jjkkll)
I called and they told me they have no cut off score and they dont put that mcuh weight on the UKCAT, they dont have a cut off score they say "the UKCAT score will be used as part of the admissions process along with the other information"
Okay, well I think I'd still be a bit careful applying there, as last year they had a cut-off score of 550. Seeing as they don't interview, I think they look at your GCSE grades, A levels and UKCAT and you have to pass their requirements before someone looks at your Personal Statement.
In fact, I know someone who sits on the Southampton Admissions thing for medicine, so I'll ask her, and let you know.
I'm not being nasty, I'm just trying to make sure you don't go wasting a place
jjkkll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
Okay, well I think I'd still be a bit careful applying there, as last year they had a cut-off score of 550. Seeing as they don't interview, I think they look at your GCSE grades, A levels and UKCAT and you have to pass their requirements before someone looks at your Personal Statement.
In fact, I know someone who sits on the Southampton Admissions thing for medicine, so I'll ask her, and let you know.
I'm not being nasty, I'm just trying to make sure you don't go wasting a place

I appreciate it thanks

also i have already accepted the fact that any UKCAT university i apply to will reject me dues to my average UKCAT score and slighlty above average GCSE grades!!

so technically im wasting both UKCAT places, so im placing a lot of my confidence on the BMAT, but before all that shazz if i dont have the AS Grades i wont be going anywhere!!! so ill wait till that first!!

also i PM'ed you a few days ago did you get that?
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jjkkll)
I appreciate it thanks

also i have already accepted the fact that any UKCAT university i apply to will reject me dues to my average UKCAT score and slighlty above average GCSE grades!!

so technically im wasting both UKCAT places, so im placing a lot of my confidence on the BMAT, but before all that shazz if i dont have the AS Grades i wont be going anywhere!!! so ill wait till that first!!

also i PM'ed you a few days ago did you get that?
:no:
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
:no:
ill try that again then
Jiffy
Report 10 years ago
oh no, my ukcat's on tuesday...anyone else doing it then too? done a lot of revision from the purple ukcat book and a lot of online material and its getting better. Is the questions in the book easier than they actual exam or are they about the same level. And the full test in the UKCAT website was pretty hard - the QR and VR - and that has kinda freaked me out, is it harder than the real thing?

Cheers

Jiffy
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jiffy)
oh no, my ukcat's on tuesday...anyone else doing it then too? done a lot of revision from the purple ukcat book and a lot of online material and its getting better. Is the questions in the book easier than they actual exam or are they about the same level. And the full test in the UKCAT website was pretty hard - the QR and VR - and that has kinda freaked me out, is it harder than the real thing?

Cheers

Jiffy
Yup, I am, 11am. Good luck
badger stripes
Report 10 years ago
august 27th so i can cancel it if theres no way in hell that im getting into medicine, and get my 60 quid back

also, for me the hardest part is the time limit... any 1 else finding this?

(sry cant be bothered to trawl through 11 pages)
i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jiffy)

Cheers

Jiffy
Yup, I am too. I've got it at 2pm.

I've been using the same book too. Yeah, haven't grasped VR and QR as well as I should be. I'm really hoping everyone is serious when they say the real QR is easier than the one from the practise test because I found it ridiculously hard. Once those two sections are out of the way, I'll be relieved. I find AR and DA less stressful, both time-wise and mentally too.

Argh, after tomorrow it's out of the way! Good luck to you, scaryhair, and lotusx who've got it on the same day as me too!

Oh and who's staying up on Wednesday night? :ninja:
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought many of the answers in the practice book for the VR were wrong. Do not use that as a measure of your verbal ability. Just so you know...
Mathematician!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've got my UKCAT test on Tuesday, and then got my Driving theory test the following day... Don't forget AS results day on Thursday! Can't wait... :no: :rolleyes: :eek:
Mathematician!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)

I've been using the same book too. Yeah, haven't grasped VR and QR as well as I should be. I'm really hoping everyone is serious when they say the real QR is easier than the one from the practise test because I found it ridiculously hard. Once those two sections are out of the way, I'll be relieved. I find AR and DA less stressful, both time-wise and mentally too.

Argh, after tomorrow it's out of the way! Good luck to you, scaryhair, and lotusx who've got it on the same day as me too!

Oh my God! My test is on the same day, as well as the same time, as you! :woo:
Eden01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
I'm really hoping everyone is serious when they say the real QR is easier than the one from the practise test because I found it ridiculously hard.

I found the QA section as well, a lot easier than the practice, I hope yours is the same I may too end up staying up on Wed night I think those doing so should have a TSR midnight party
Jiffy
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mathematician!)
I've got my UKCAT test on Tuesday, and then got my Driving theory test the following day... Don't forget AS results day on Thursday! Can't wait... :no: :rolleyes: :eek:
lol i have my ukcat this tuesday, and my driving theory the following tuesday, both at the same centre
Jiffy
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)

Good luck
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by badger stripes)
august 27th so i can cancel it if theres no way in hell that im getting into medicine, and get my 60 quid back

also, for me the hardest part is the time limit... any 1 else finding this?

(sry cant be bothered to trawl through 11 pages)
lol thats my bday
would never dream of doing an exam then
arod
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This may be an odd question, but is there any facility that helps students prepare for the UKCAT test?
In North America there is a similar exam required for entry into medicine called the MCAT, and there are lots of agencies that have set up teaching/training/tutoring centres to help you study for this type of test. They go thru the test process which is helpful if you are not used to the format, and oodles of practice tests to get you familiar with the types of questions, plus teach - or re-teach you some of the theory that you may have forgotten in math/Chem/biochem etc. Most students take a 4-8 week crash course in the summer to help them prepare for the MCAT. Does this type of service exist in the UK for the UKCAT? Yup, you can study on your own, but the students who take these "prep" courses seem to do better mainly due to all of the prep and helpful hints...
arod
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Here's an example of one of the MCAT tutoring centres.
http://www.kaptest.com/mcat
lotusx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)

ditto! seriously, i'll be grinning like a fool on tuesday if it's easier. i think that once QR is done, I won't be so panicky. It's just timing in AR that's a bit of a problem for me, but I'll probs end up guessing
On Wednesday night, I plan on watching the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy that I got for my birthday & haven't watched fully yet. SCORE!
Mathematician!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*Panic attack* 2 days left! Who am I kidding? I am as cool as a cucumber. Or an ice cream. Or anti - anti freeze, if that exists. Or something.

OK end of spam.

EDIT: I am looking forward to the QR and AR sections, but not the other 2. As for the last section, cross questioning is the only issue, so I have got to stay alert!
i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's Monday. Less than 48 hours to go.

Is it worth taking ear plugs to the exam? I've read about how annoying it is to concentrate while listening to others around you clicking away like crazy for the hazard perception test.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads