Which Unis should I apply to for Economics FAQ: The Econ uni Application Guide Watch

rapha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK)
paul why im sure ive seen somewhere that you studied undergraduate maths, if so which one out of economics and maths do you find more interesting. Even though at the moment im leaning towards a straight economics degree, i always think to my self that i will get bored if there isnt enough maths in it and there may be too much theory and just reading. On the other hand i think single maths may get a bit dry and i may also get bored. Obviously i thought the solution would be a joint honours containing maths and economics but my parents have told me that joint honours arent as respected as much even if it is making the degree more quantitative. Overall i am just wondering at university will some economics modules such as econometrics be purely about solving equations/problems or will the maths just be a by product of trying finding answers to economic questions/problems??
That is exactly how I am feeling.
roosel4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ignore my GCSE post, I got an A* in maths anyway
xbabyxchelseax
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i got AS:-
Maths A
Economics A
Business Studies A
Chinese B [4 marks off an A so disappointed]
Computing C [2marks off arghh hate Computing]
but pooor GCSE's what Unis do I have a chance at?
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi Paul,

Im reapplying for Manchesters BA Economics because I didnt get the grades they needed this year (ABB). According to the website and the lady I spoke to on the phone, they raise there offer to what seems like AAB for resit candidates.

My alevels are as follows:
Business Studies
Geography
Accounting

I hope that after resits/remarks my grades will become ABC. I could have quite easily got AAB but because I can't resit AS modules, I don't have much room for improvement.

Therefore I'm going to self-study an alevel and its probably going to be Sociology. I know that it isnt a respected subject but it looks like my best bet to getting the extra A I need (giving me AABC).

My question is do you think manchester will raise the offer once again to AAA because I'm doing another soft subject?
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by jabed786)
Hi Paul,

Im reapplying for Manchesters BA Economics because I didnt get the grades they needed this year (ABB). According to the website and the lady I spoke to on the phone, they raise there offer to what seems like AAB for resit candidates.
That is what TAELT says as well.

My alevels are as follows:
Business Studies
Geography
Accounting

I hope that after resits/remarks my grades will become ABC. I could have quite easily got AAB but because I can't resit AS modules, I don't have much room for improvement.
Is that right??
e.g. how come you can't just resit all the modules as a 'new' A-level student.

Therefore I'm going to self-study an alevel and its probably going to be Sociology. I know that it isnt a respected subject but it looks like my best bet to getting the extra A I need (giving me AABC).
How come you are self studying?
And have you considered doing a subject that would actually you once you get to uni. e.g. Maths?

My question is do you think manchester will raise the offer once again to AAA because I'm doing another soft subject?
You need to ask unis what their policy would be if you did an extra A-'soft' A-level like that.
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
That is what TAELT says as well.

Is that right??
e.g. how come you can't just resit all the modules as a 'new' A-level student.

How come you are self studying?
And have you considered doing a subject that would actually you once you get to uni. e.g. Maths?

You need to ask unis what their policy would be if you did an extra A-'soft' A-level like that.
Thanks for the speedy reply.
I can't really resit all the modules again as a new alevel student, because it would mean I'd have to do the new specification which is considerable more different to the old one, plus it would be a lot of work!

I'm self-studying because firstly my college does not offer 'intensive alevels'. I'm hoping it can show that I am quite disciplined. And also I can become more flexible in terms of looking for a job, allowing me to earn some cash and get some experience. I can also look for some volunteering work (one day a week, sort of thing).

Maths, just seems like a lot of work and I don't think I could get an A in it, considering a lot of people in my 6th form who are really clever found it difficult.

I would ask the uni, but I have a feeling they might be sick of hearing from me all the time :o: lol.
MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does anyone know much about yorks economics course because ihave just looked at their website and there seems to be too much BA type modules like, politics/sociology, economic history, are these compulsury
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Thanks for the speedy reply.
I can't really resit all the modules again as a new alevel student, because it would mean I'd have to do the new specification which is considerable more different to the old one, plus it would be a lot of work!
Are you sure about not being possible to do the old specification?

Maths, just seems like a lot of work and I don't think I could get an A in it, considering a lot of people in my 6th form who are really clever found it difficult.
Just that if you have to do an extra A-level, Maths would have high returns once you get to uni.

I would ask the uni, but I have a feeling they might be sick of hearing from me all the time :o: lol.
No, unis would rather talk to students before they apply than afterwards and have difficult conversations with students who have made bad decisions.
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you sure about not being possible to do the old specification?

Just that if you have to do an extra A-level, Maths would have high returns once you get to uni.

No, unis would rather talk to students before they apply than afterwards and have difficult conversations with students who have made bad decisions.
Yup I'm positive dude. I'm not sure about how Edexcel and WJEC are going about this, but AQA are only allowing old-spec A2 resits and only in January 2010! OCR are only allowing A2 resits but in both January and June. It's really annoying tbh because I did really well in my A2 modules, its my AS ones that are faulting me :mad:

Here is a poster of how AQA are implementing the new spec and phasing the old one out....
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...INE-POSTER.PDF

I know Maths will make getting into Economics easier and will help me once I'm on the course. I would do it, if it was taught at my college as an intensive alevel but its not without help from teachers I dont stand a good chance at getting an A or even a B. I understand that part of maths is just about learning steps and applying them in the exam but I do think I'll need help in figuring out how to do just that.
Whilst with Sociology I know I have a good shot at self-studying it as its mainly learning a load of text/case studies.
I am thinking that its better to have a higher chance at getting AAB with soft subjects and meeting the 'AAB' offer rather than doing Maths and looking at getting CAB instead, which doesnt meet the offer.

I'll phone manchester again tomorrow and ask them about Sociology and if they will still offer AAB if I did it. If they dont like it, I might do History or RE - they are respected right?
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Yup I'm positive dude. I'm not sure about how Edexcel and WJEC are going about this, but AQA are only allowing old-spec A2 resits and only in January 2010! OCR are only allowing A2 resits but in both January and June. It's really annoying tbh because I did really well in my A2 modules, its my AS ones that are faulting me :mad:

Here is a poster of how AQA are implementing the new spec and phasing the old one out....
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...INE-POSTER.PDF

I know Maths will make getting into Economics easier and will help me once I'm on the course. I would do it, if it was taught at my college as an intensive alevel but its not without help from teachers I dont stand a good chance at getting an A or even a B. I understand that part of maths is just about learning steps and applying them in the exam but I do think I'll need help in figuring out how to do just that.
Whilst with Sociology I know I have a good shot at self-studying it as its mainly learning a load of text/case studies.
I am thinking that its better to have a higher chance at getting AAB with soft subjects and meeting the 'AAB' offer rather than doing Maths and looking at getting CAB instead, which doesnt meet the offer.
That all makes a lot of sense

I'll phone manchester again tomorrow and ask them about Sociology and if they will still offer AAB if I did it. If they dont like it, I might do History or RE - they are respected right?
Yes
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355
Vish00
Report 9 years ago
Paulwhy

Does doing 4 A levels have a massive bearing on admissions tutors decisions to give offers, or does it just mean they just give "easier" offers, meaning AABB as opposed to AAA for example.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vish00)
Paulwhy

Does doing 4 A levels have a massive bearing on admissions tutors decisions to give offers, or does it just mean they just give "easier" offers, meaning AABB as opposed to AAA for example.
Hard to get offers from the top uni e.g. lots of applicants all with high grades. And doing extra A-levels is one way to stand out. But 4 A-levels is not a guarentee of offers and it is possible to get offers with 3 A-levels.
fringeontop
Report 9 years ago
Hi Paul,

Currently panicking about which universities to pick - but this guide has helped me slightly (thank you!).

I have 10A* and 1.5A at GCSE, and 6A at AS (all over 90ums average) in maths, further maths, economics, geography, english and environmental science (I did it in year 11).

I am pretty sure that I want to study economics and university, but would cambridge, LSE, warwick, bath and somewhere else be far too ambitious? My personal statement is, and will be if I continue to flounder as I have over the summer, flaccid and dull.

My question is that if I am predicted AAA (or higher!), would those universities be suitable, or should I apply to a few "easier" universities. If so, which band in the TAELT would be suitable, and where should I consider as a 5th option?
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by fringeontop)
Hi Paul,

Currently panicking about which universities to pick - but this guide has helped me slightly (thank you!).

I have 10A* and 1.5A at GCSE, and 6A at AS (all over 90ums average) in maths, further maths, economics, geography, english and environmental science (I did it in year 11).

I am pretty sure that I want to study economics and university, but would cambridge, LSE, warwick, bath and somewhere else be far too ambitious? My personal statement is, and will be if I continue to flounder as I have over the summer, flaccid and dull.

My question is that if I am predicted AAA (or higher!), would those universities be suitable, or should I apply to a few "easier" universities. If so, which band in the TAELT would be suitable, and where should I consider as a 5th option?
1 in AAB.2.1 group and 4 above that level would be fine.
(so your current 4 plus an AAB.2.1 uni would make sense).
But read The Econ PS Guide and sort your PS out!
Also the AAB.2.1 uni needs to be somewhere you are preapred to go so visit it before applying!

What A2 subjects are you taking?
fringeontop
Report 9 years ago
1 in AAB.2.1 group and 4 above that level would be fine.
(so your current 4 plus an AAB.2.1 uni would make sense).
But read The Econ PS Guide and sort your PS out!
Also the AAB.2.1 uni needs to be somewhere you are preapred to go so visit it before applying!

What A2 subjects are you taking?
I'm definitely taking maths, further maths and economics, and geography is likely to be my fourth (I wanted to do five A2s, but my school doesn't allow it!) Is this suitable, or would you recommend english instead?

Thanks for the advice - now all I have to do is hit the prospectuses, visit the unis, re-write my personal statement, continue wider reading, finish my extended project... oh dear. These are going to be a fun few weeks!
TomasK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm definitely taking maths, further maths and economics, and geography is likely to be my fourth (I wanted to do five A2s, but my school doesn't allow it!) Is this suitable, or would you recommend english instead?

Thanks for the advice - now all I have to do is hit the prospectuses, visit the unis, re-write my personal statement, continue wider reading, finish my extended project... oh dear. These are going to be a fun few weeks!
Just PERFECT :awesome:
Paulwhy
Rep:
?

Geography is a humanity so is better than English.
fringeontop
Report 9 years ago
Geography is a humanity so is better than English.
That's just what I wanted to hear - geography is far more interesting (especially when my course is so human-centric)!
NesQuiK.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Paul with AAAAAa achieved at alevel do you think
Cambridge/ucl/lse econ n maths/warwick/notts
would be wise or is that still too aggressive with my grades?
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by NesQuiK.)
Paul with AAAAAa achieved at alevel do you think
Cambridge/ucl/lse econ n maths/warwick/notts
would be wise or is that still too aggressive with my grades?
Probablly best if you post in a new thread
(I think it is going to be a long one).
i)Sorry what subjects are you proposing applying to at each uni?
ii)What subjects did you take to A2?
iii)What subjects did you take to AS?
iv)What unis did you apply to in 08/09 and what responses did you get?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.34%
No (622)
72.66%

Watched Threads