Official LSE Applicants+Decisions 2009 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Locke54
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They might be just doing automatic rejections to anyone with less than a certain number of A*s (especially for Law and Economics)
Definitely not true for International Relations, as I applied about a week after applications opened and have only 2 A*'s at GCSE (although they are in History and Geography which at least makes them related to what I'm applying to) and I'm still standing, wouldn't surprise me about the other two mind.
Liliahh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's all rejection today~so there must be some kind of alternative week policy ~~
amar09
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by aligogo)
Must've been a lot.

Although I still remain more surprised at last week's early UCL rejections...
Really. Im MUCH more surprised by this. UCL has done the same thing in previous years, whereas this is the first time i've heard of that LSE has broken the late november start, and friday rule!
JoeJBB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ajp100688)
Definitely not true for International Relations, as I applied about a week after applications opened and have only 2 A*'s at GCSE (although they are in History and Geography which at least makes them related to what I'm applying to) and I'm still standing, wouldn't surprise me about the other two mind.
Yep, ditto. And snap - I applied mid-September for International Relations, and with 2A* at GCSE.

J
Roundabout
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by amar09)
imagine how many applicants in general got rejected today!
Yep, I'm guessing they rejected something like 75-125 people today, depending on how big a portion of TSR members are disinclined to immediately announce their rejections.
tribalium
Report 10 years ago
just check the first page of the thread...thats a LOT of read for one day, especially for such high quality students. I reckon TSR represents more top notch students rather than average, which means if this many of the best applicants got rejected, imagine how many applicants in general got rejected today!
that's what I am thinking as well...
imagine 10% of the UK applicants visit TSR...
14 rejections today means there're like 140 rejections all together...
horror...
amar09
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by tribalium)
that's what I am thinking as well...
imagine 10% of the UK applicants visit TSR...
14 rejections today means there're like 140 rejections all together...
horror...
Well, thats the thing, it would be nowhere NEAR 10%. more like 1%. 2500 applicants for econ of which less than 40 are currently on TSR. 2 rejections from high quality students would equate to like 200 rejections. However, we also have to take into account that not everyone has applied yet.
tribalium
Report 10 years ago
Well, thats the thing, it would be nowhere NEAR 10%. more like 1%. 2500 applicants for econ of which less than 40 are currently on TSR. 2 rejections from high quality students would equate to like 200 rejections. However, we also have to take into account that not everyone has applied yet.
yea...
that's why when I heard there're 14 rejections on TSR only I was freaked out lol:shifty:
Economist1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All you people might want to have a look at this if you have not done so already (LSE Undergrad Admissions Policy):

LSEUndergraduateAdmissionsPolicy.pdf
theorangecab
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Loeweloewe)
Now I've got to be the first

LLB. UNSUCCESSFUL. WAHEY my world didn't end, hows that
So sorry to hear that Loeweloewe -- when did you apply to LSE? Best of luck with your other apps!
andy22may
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
andy22may
acc/fin
AAAA maths econ accounts business
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok. How did you do your Personal statement, because LSE are REALLLY picky about them. Also which other Uni's areyou applying to. Oxford? college?
PS was excellente I believe. I literally revised it more than forty times(drafts). My only potential drawback is that I don't have IGCSEs, but I guess it's quite acceptable as the vast majority of int'l students don't have them.

Applying to
Economics and Management, Merton College, University of Oxford
Economics, University College London

edit: According to the "LSE Undergraduate Admissions Policy" 27 Selectors look at the following:
• scores in earlier or other relevant assessments, including AS levels and GCSE (where applicable)
it says where applicable
• predicted or actual A level grades (or equivalent)
• scores in earlier or other relevant assessments, including AS levels and GCSE (where
applicable)
• the Personal Statement
• the Reference
• English language ability (in the case of applicants for whom English is not their first
language)
• work experience or informal qualifications in relevant cases

It states admission tutor/officer look at the GCSE scores where applicable. So I guess it won't do any harm
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by El Mariachi)
Yeah, that would make sense

Ahhhhhhh, proper tension is beginning to kick in, a potential 6 months of torture awaits....I just hope I get an earlier decision!
a later offer is better than an earlier rejection I guess
theorangecab
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Out of curiosity, I went and looked in the LSE 2008 decision thread and for them it was November 9th (Friday) that there was a substantial round of rejections (no offers either) - so I guess it makes sense that something similar happened this year, but on a Monday instead

I guess I don't mind waiting for longer if it's going to be good news. Ahhh.
Mike_P
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 02mik_e)
Wow a lot of people have been rejected today, commiserations . I withdrew my application last week and replaced it for Nottingham. It wasn't my first choice anyway and I also hated the location ;(. All the best to everyone still waiting for replies
You used the substitute choice thing, right? Or?
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by theorangecab)
So sorry to hear that Loeweloewe -- when did you apply to LSE? Best of luck with your other apps!

i applied to LSE on the 9th of October along with my other apps.

my ucas personal statement was PURELY on Oriental Studies.

HOWEVER, i did send LSE a separate personal statement for my LLB apps (as allowed by them through our previous email correspondence)

so i dont know ah well
02mik_e
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mike_P)
You used the substitute choice thing, right? Or?
Yeah i used the substitute choice good luck with your app
likewinethroughwater
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey, sorry if this is the wrong thread to post on. BUT, when you get an offer, what does it say on track?

THANKS

Cerulean
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by likewinethroughwater)
Hey, sorry if this is the wrong thread to post on. BUT, when you get an offer, what does it say on track?

THANKS

Conditional (pre-qualiiations) or Unconditional (post qualification)
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Loeweloewe)
i applied to LSE on the 9th of October along with my other apps.

my ucas personal statement was PURELY on Oriental Studies.

HOWEVER, i did send LSE a separate personal statement for my LLB apps (as allowed by them through our previous email correspondence)

so i dont know ah well
Are you sure that we can send a separate Personal Statement for a particular course? I don't think it's the case for the London School of Economics. I tried to send a separate Personal Statement for MSc Management but the admission officer told me not to do so. I will quote this.
You may only submit one personal statement with your UCAS form. Therefore if you intend to apply to both Economics and Management, you must ensure that your statement adequately covers both subjects in order to be favourably considered.
It could be different for the Law dept though
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (48)
29.45%
No - I got the required grades (95)
58.28%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (20)
12.27%

Watched Threads