Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BonnyBon)
    I know false empathy when I see it...

An unconditional, an interview and two more responses to come .. how I wish I was in your position.

Aren't you a youth just started your AS levels?

ReputationRep:
    I know false empathy when I see it...

An unconditional, an interview and two more responses to come .. how I wish I was in your position.
    False empathy sure...

I've always wanted to be a doctor its all I've ever dreamed of....Yet its incomprehensible that I would feel for someone who has been rejected to medicine

We've all applied to medical school and we all know how worrying and stressful it is...we've all been horribly afraid that we wouldn't be accepted, i don't know if anyone else lay awake at night thinking about it but I sure as hell did...I do genuinely feel for those who have been rejected and if you can't accept that I feel sorry for you in more than one respect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    You are just sounding really bitter at the moment, and I pity you for having such a cynical view of the world. I also suggest you reevaluate what you think "empathy" means.
    Empathy is the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.

You cannot possibly know what it feels like for those who have been rejected, especially since you already have an offer. Case closed.

ReputationRep:
    Empathy is the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.

You cannot possibly know what it feels like for those who have been rejected, especially since you already have an offer. Case closed.
    Someone doesn't know what vicarious means:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Empathy: understanding another person's feelings by remembering or imagining being in a similar situation.

ReputationRep:

You happen to have missed out the "intellectual identification" part. According to your analogy, no-one would ever make a good doctor unless they had experienced everything their patient has experienced!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, now with the petty insults then? Forget it, if you have that attitude you will go on my ignore list. You can spout your rubbish, take the moral high ground and do all the boasting you want but you will never be welcome by those of us in this thread.

Good night, can't be bothered to waste my time here if people are going to insult me. I thought this thread would be a haven for those of us who are going through difficult times but I guess I was wrong.

ReputationRep:

That definition includes "intellectual identification" right? Well, it doesn't take too much of a logical leap to imagine what a rejection feels like (even if you've recently come into an offer).

Regardless, does it really matter if the person knows what a rejection feels like. There's nothing wrong with offering condolences or support. It's actually a nice thing to do!

ReputationRep:
    I can see where you're coming from, BonnyBon, but I have to admit, it does seem a little bitter of you to start a revolt!

I've been rejected from 2 of my 4 choies so far, and yes, I can understand that being 'comforted' by someone who cannot understand your position can feel a bit like a smug kick in the face because they don't understand how hopeless you're starting to feel, they're going to medical school next year, etc., but only if you take it that way.

The people with offers will be on here to console others who are not in such a lucky position. Whether it is the fact that they have the upper hand and are feeling smug, or the fact that they genuinely feel sorry for those in less fortunate positions, however, is something we cannot tell - I like to presume the latter, you (evidently) the former. Fair do's.

Now let's get back to discussing the business of rejection....... *depressed feeling tides back over currently irate thread*

EDIT: Got my words mixed up...

ReputationRep:
    Ah, now with the petty insults then? Forget it, if you have that attitude you will go on my ignore list. You can spout your rubbish, take the moral high ground and do all the boasting you want but you will never be welcome by those of us in this thread.
    Haha, okay. I suggest you go and take a look at the number of people who have supported me. I will continue to celebrate good moments and commiserate bad moments with users on this forum until they themselves tell me that they'd rather not me do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee_Kid)
    I can see where you're coming from, BonnyBon, but I have to admit, it does seem a little bitter of you to start a revolt!

I've been rejected from 2 of my 4 choies so far, and yes, I can understand that being 'comforted' by someone who cannot understand your position can feel a bit like a smug kick in the face because they don't understand how hopeless you're starting to feel, they're going to medical school next year, etc., but only if you take it that way.

The people with offers will be on here to console others who are not in such a lucky position. Whether it is the fact that they have the upper hand, or the fact that they genuinely feel sorry for those in less fortunate positions, however, is something we cannot tell - I like to presume to former, you (evidently) the latter. Fair do's.

Now let's get back to discussing the business of rejection....... *depressed feeling tides back over currently irate thread*
    You can haz a hug!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, okay. I suggest you go and take a look at the number of people who have supported me. I will continue to celebrate good moments and commiserate bad moments with users on this forum until they themselves tell me that they'd rather not me do so.
    People like me and Becreate are telling you we don't want you but I guess people with no offers like me and Becreate are below you and our opinions don't count? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    People like me and Becreate are telling you we don't want you but I guess people with no offers like me and Becreate are below you and our opinions don't count? :rolleyes:

Are you done yet?

Yes you have no offers GREAT, i have a rejection and NOTHING else, yet im not complaining.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I won't offer my condolensces or advice to you or Becreate then. Simple.
    And don't be so stupid. I really think you should get to know people before accusing them of boasting, having a moral high stool, thinking they're above everyone else, and being two faced!

ReputationRep:
    Bonnybon, by doing some research, ive read some of your posts saying how nervous you were about your GCSE results, in August 2008.

Are you even applying to Medical school?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I won't offer my condolensces or advice to you or Becreate then. Simple.
    And don't be so stupid. I really think you should get to know people before accusing them of boasting, having a moral high stool, thinking they're above everyone else, and being two faced!
    Ah well, I just thought this thread was a haven for those of us who can really empathise with each other. What you obviously don't understand is that sometimes when you are in a bad position the last thing you want is someone in a good position giving you comfort, it's like; "what do you know about what I am going through". Whether that is wrong or right, it is what some people (such as myself) think when things are not going right. Maybe your intentions are good but in the frame of mind I am in at the moment I just can't see it. You have an offer, you've had two interviews and one more response to come, there is NOTHING wrong with your medical application at the moment - (without trying to sound too offensive) people like you are the last people I want to see right now. I guess that was too much to ask.

I'm going off now then, you are making me stressed and at the moment in time this is the last thing I need.

No need to dig out the personal insults by the way Tom4510, I won't bother coming on this forum anymore. It's going to be a busy christmas for me, revising when I don't even know if I'll get a place. Have fun, I am sure you'll have a great one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom4510)
    Bonnybon, by doing some research, ive read some of your posts saying how nervous you were about your GCSE results, in August 2008.

Are you even applying to Medical school?

Oooh the plot thickens and now he says he's leaving:eek:

ReputationRep:
    We are way off the main thing...

There are only several hundred places at a med school, as harsh as it may sound, a majority of us (inside + outside TSR), wont get into atleast 3 of our 4 choices. I doubt I will be starting uni by sept 09..I very much pray that i do.

We all are or atleast had been in the same boat of worries and fear of rejections at some point, some of us are still dreading 4 rejections.. Lets not argue over silly things but be supportive of each other. Celebrate when theres a good news, and hope for the best at bad times.

ReputationRep:
    lol this thread is dramatic, but its keeping me from doing my history personal study which is in for tomorrow
    arrghh

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, I just thought this thread was a haven for those of us who can really empathise with each other. What you obviously don't understand is that sometimes when you are in a bad position the last thing you want is someone in a good position giving you comfort, it's like; "what do you know about what I am going through". Whether that is wrong or right, it is what some people (such as myself) think when things are not going right. Maybe your intentions are good but in the frame of mind I am in at the moment I just can't see it. You have an offer, you've had two interviews and one more response to come, there is NOTHING wrong with your medical application at the moment - (without trying to sound too offensive) people like you are the last people I want to see right now. I guess that was too much to ask.

I'm going off now then, you are making me stressed and at the moment in time this is the last thing I need.

No need to dig out the personal insults by the way Tom4510, I won't bother coming on this forum anymore. It's going to be a busy christmas for me, revising when I don't even know if I'll get a place. Have fun, I am sure you'll have a great one.
    okay. for one. NO freaking way what you said is even right.
    everyone and i mean EVERYONE could get rejections. everyone's thought of the possibility of getting a huge fat REJECTION on track and even thought that hte letter you got for interview was a nasty rejection letter.
    people applying to medicine know of the possibility. we console them because that could have been us. we were lucky enough not to be in that situation but we easily could have. everyone has AMAZING grades, amazing work experience (from what i've seen from before application stage) and an amazing personality (yes i love my TSR future medics )

and tbh you dont need to be rude either. you were throwing insults at us. pretty much the whole 2009 applicants. maybe you should have known that before you wrote it.

and so, we cant comfort a friend who's family member has died because we havent experienced death in the family ourselves?? because then the world would be a SAD place. ditto this thread.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2010

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.