36.56%
    Sex.
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    Noooo, TSR's talking UCAS again :bricks:

Must. Send. By. Next. Week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    b) Drinking 0.5 L of water every day (24 hour period).
    You should be drinking far more than that! Unless you mean that you drink other things in addition, in which case I'm not really sure what you're getting at?

(Original post by namedeprived)
    If they do ask for it, I'd be perfectly willing to give it a bash, though I doubt I'd even get a 3
    I strongly recommend at least giving some of the I/II papers a try. In the event they don't make it part of an offer, you've had some good experience of doing work that's comparable or greater in difficulty than first year (especially at a Scottish uni) - and in the event that they do, then you won't be scuppered. (I think that at least part of the reason I failed miserably was because I did less than 40 hours prep.)

ReputationRep:
    Apparently not for Scottish applicants, which I thought was a bit interesting. If they do ask for it, I'd be perfectly willing to give it a bash, though I doubt I'd even get a 3. To be honest I'm not sure I want to leave Scotland, but I thought it was best to keep my options open incase I changed my mind, and plus Warwick has an exellent reputation for Maths. Have you applied yet?
    not applied yet. Yeah no harm and trying STEP really and even if you were to fail and go to your insurance university your maths will be better than if you didn't give STEP a bash.

i'm not applying to any english uni's, the tuition fees put me off.

ReputationRep:
    Your statement is 5 line(s) over the 47 limit, based on the preview.

:awesome:

Your statement is 4 line(s) over the 47 limit, based on the preview.

:gah:

Your statement is 2 line(s) over the 47 limit, based on the preview.

:rolleyes:

Your statement is 1 line(s) over the 47 limit, based on the preview.

STFU AND GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    STFU AND GTFO.
    Remove spaces between alternate pairs of words. It's what I did.

ReputationRep:
    I really need to stop mucking about. Our maths teacher has been trying to scare us, giving us sheets of practise questions with "68 days 'til prelims begin!" at the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    I really need to stop mucking about. Our maths teacher has been trying to scare us, giving us sheets of practise questions with "68 days 'til prelims begin!" at the top.
    Omg, I'm dreading it. Seriously. I took one look at the past papers and I could only get 6 of the MC right

Damn it, why not make it a chance of expanding mathematical ability rather than passing exams??? :rant:

I had my final guidance interview today and she asked me this question,

"So have you enjoyed your time at school?"

Honestly, I never expected it to throw me off but it did. I went to high school without knowing anyone and have come out as a new person, it's just weird it finally dawning on you that you will be leaving most of those people you spent a relatively short period of time becoming friends with /cliche.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    I had my final guidance interview today and she asked me this question,

"So have you enjoyed your time at school?"

Honestly, I never expected to throw me off but it did. I went over to my school without knowing anyone and has come out as a new person, it's just weird it finally dawning on you that you will be leaving most of those people you spent a relatively short period of time becoming friends with /cliche.
    You get over it quickly. You'll be amazed at how abstract school is from real life.

(Original post by LuhLah)
    Omg, I'm dreading it. Seriously. I took one look at the past papers and I could only get 6 of the MC right

Damn it, why not make it a chance of expanding mathematical ability rather than passing exams??? :rant:
    You're quite right. One of the bad things about doing exams is that you panic and your work becomes regurgitated. Further changes should be made to the system in my opinion (Standard Grades will soon be gone).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)

given that about half of the multiple choice of the past paper you couldn't do because you don't have the knowledge yet, 6 seems ok?

unless you mean a past prelim, in which case get studying.

ReputationRep:
    You're quite right. One of the bad things about doing exams is that you panic and your work becomes regurgitated. Further changes should be made to the system in my opinion (Standard Grades will soon be gone).
    My school is so backwards. They're changing Intermediate English back to SG. God knows why, I did Int 2 and I've found Higher to be quite easy. From what I've heard of the SG course, it doesn't get you very used to the structure of the Higher course.

ReputationRep:
    So, for those of you who condemn exams, what would you propose instead? (A form of continuous assessment?) I assume you would also extend this overhaul to university assessment, since the majority of that is also exam-based.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't really, unless you were significantly under the required grades. I'd definitley ask about getting your predictions bumped up though. I didn't know you could do that though once the form had been sent? The universities will know that your predictions won't necessarily equate to what you get.

I was a bit annoyed that I was predicted a B for French. I managed 99% in the Higher prelim last year and got a band 1,(though not sure of mark) in the exam. I got predicted AA for Maths and Chemistry though so I don't think it should affect my chances.

It's not been sent, thankfully. The refrence is being written...apparently I don't contribute enough in maths or chemistry :shifty:

Where/what are you applying for? I'm hoping to get into strathy, and do chemistry, maths and something biology in my first year

ReputationRep:
    My school is so backwards. They're changing Intermediate English back to SG. God knows why, I did Int 2 and I've found Higher to be quite easy. From what I've heard of the SG course, it doesn't get you very used to the structure of the Higher course.
    It doesn't, but it includes a) more scope for creative writing and b) a talk element, both of which are fairly common reasons for sticking with Standard Grade over Intermediate. (Equally, at least one of these - if not both? - is being phased into Intermediate and Higher.) On the other hand, as you say, you're prepared less for the Higher course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    So, for those of you who condemn exams, what would you propose instead? (A form of continuous assessment?) I assume you would also extend this overhaul to university assessment, since the majority of that is also exam-based.
    I wouldn't get rid of exams, that would be silly. But, I would make it more dependent on actually knowing the subject and in turn, the exam being based on this...rather than what the examiner is looking for. (eg, Writing down an answer to a 3 mark question which is totally right and isn't in the marking scheme...and getting it wrong.)

It's hard to explain, but it works in my head. You're not really getting a well rounded education at school/college, it's all about getting good grades.

I'm not saying completely abolish exams, I'm just voicing my opinion in thinking its a flawed system. Better methods should be implemented into the school curriculum before the exams and that is what I believe.

Maybe some amendments wouldn't hurt either.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't, but it includes a) more scope for creative writing and b) a talk element, both of which are fairly common reasons for sticking with Standard Grade over Intermediate. (Equally, at least one of these - if not both? - is being phased into Intermediate and Higher.) On the other hand, as you say, you're prepared less for the Higher course.
    I guess that makes sense, not much emphasis is placed on creative writing here. Maybe 2 out of the 5 English teachers do it at Higher/Advanced Higher.

I guess that makes sense, not much emphasis is placed on creative writing here. Maybe 2 out of the 5 English teachers do it at Higher.
    You can do creative writing at Higher? I thought it was just Standard Grades and then Advanced Higher, which quite frankly makes AH Eng worth doing. :p:

ReputationRep:
    You can do creative writing at Higher?
    There's an option to do it in the writing NAB.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.