Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    highlights for the match if anyone hasnt seem them already
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11...om=embediframe

ohh and this too
    https://vine.co/v/hZwYtJx1qUb

ReputationRep:
    We should put a bid in for Luiz Gustavo. Perfect player to give us a solid base in midfield. I think if we get him he would be the closest player to Gilberto we've had since the invisible wall left the club. Signing him makes so much sense so I guess it won't happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    We should put a bid in for Luiz Gustavo. Perfect player to give us a solid base in midfield. I think if we get him he would be the closest player to Gilberto we've had since the invisible wall left the club. Signing him makes so much sense so I guess it won't happen
    Definitely. Bayern now have a ridiculous number of midfielders in their squad; they'll need to offload some. Kroos and Gustavo should attract big name clubs.

(Original post by midnightice)
    Definitely. Bayern now have a ridiculous number of midfielders in their squad; they'll need to offload some. Kroos and Gustavo should attract big name clubs.
    Why on earth would Kroos be up for sale, though?! :p:

Also, reports suggest Wenger's upping the bid for Suarez to £35m. :holmes: I think he's a fantastic player but I'm not so comfortable with this tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)
    Kroos is arguably Bayern's best and most important player. Think I'm right that he had the 3rd highest pass success rate in Europe last season, and he plays as an AM. They wouldnt sell for 50m I'd bet.

(Original post by Abiraleft)

Also, reports suggest Wenger's upping the bid for Suarez to £35m. :holmes: I think he's a fantastic player but I'm not so comfortable with this tbh.
    No doubt Luis Suarez is a truly nasty piece of work, but there's no doubt he's a winner. This team is severely lacking that nasty streak that winning teams have. Sol Campbell was willing to betray his boyhood club in the worst imaginable way, Bergkamp was known to intentionally leave permanent stud scars on defenders and Adams/Lehmann/Vieira/Keown/Henry all had a very nasty side when it suited them as well. Meanwhile, Theo Walcott and Aaron Ramsey probably still check under their beds before they go to sleep at night. :rolleyes: So it would be nice for a change to have someone like Luis Suarez being an absolute **** on our behalf...

Still, 35m wont be enough. It'll take 40m and I'd bite their hands off even at that price. What a player he is.

(Original post by Zürich)
    Kroos is arguably Bayern's best and most important player. Think I'm right that he had the 3rd highest pass success rate in Europe last season, and he plays as an AM. They wouldnt sell for 50m I'd bet.
    By Europe do you mean in the Champions League? If you mean in the leagues as well, I don't think this would hold true: WhoScored has him down at 47th :p: (although he does have an extremely high success rate with over 89%).

ReputationRep:
    By Europe do you mean in the Champions League? If you mean in the leagues as well, I don't think this would hold true: WhoScored has him down at 47th :p: (although he does have an extremely high success rate with over 89%).
    My mistake, was 3rd best in the Bundesliga. From the Guardian:

Kroos's statistics in the Bundesliga this season are extraordinary. He has a pass success rate of 89.7%, placing him fourth in the overall standings according to whoscored.com; the three players above him – Dante, Roel Brouwers and Luis Gustavo – are central defenders or defensive midfielders, many of whose passes will be simple short one to players who attempt riskier balls. That Kroos is playing passes that hurt the opposition is seen by his ratio of 2.8 key passes per game – third in the overall listings – eight of which have led directly to goals, placing him joint seventh in the overall chart. His ratio of 0.5 accurate through-balls per game places him joint second in the overall standings, behind only Diego of Wolfsburg.
    Still, pinging it around the opposing box like he does at 90% accuracy is much harder than say Carrick pinging it about the halfway line at 91%. Kroos is also probably the hardest working no.10 in European football at the minute(dont know how many KM he gets through a game but he must be near the top), top top player. No way are Bayern letting him go.

ReputationRep:
    Whomever sells Toni Kroos, if it ever happens, needs to be slapped out of football. But I have faith that someone won't be that stupid.

He is HAM.

My mistake, was 3rd best in the Bundesliga. From the Guardian:

Still, pinging it around the opposing box like he does at 90% accuracy is much harder than say Carrick pinging it about the halfway line at 91%. Kroos is also probably the hardest working no.10 in European football at the minute(dont know how many KM he gets through a game but he must be near the top), top top player. No way are Bayern letting him go.
    Oh absolutely, it's less than a 1.5% difference between him and the top 20 anyway, and the top 20 is mostly populated by defenders and defensive midfielders (including Mertesacker and Arteta :p:).

ReputationRep:

Why you not sitting comfortable with Suarez? This is a player who will bring in 25 premier league goals, guaranteed. Possibly even 30. He's that good. Of course he has his problems but his quality means we should overlook that. No team in the world would say no to him and that should include us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Why you not sitting comfortable with Suarez? This is a player who will bring in 25 premier league goals, guaranteed. Possibly even 30. He's that good. Of course he has his problems but his quality means we should overlook that. No team in the world would say no to him and that should include us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cos of his reputation. How's he going to score us those goals when he's missing lots due to suspension?

ReputationRep:

No doubt Luis Suarez is a truly nasty piece of work, but there's no doubt he's a winner. This team is severely lacking that nasty streak that winning teams have. Sol Campbell was willing to betray his boyhood club in the worst imaginable way, Bergkamp was known to intentionally leave permanent stud scars on defenders and Adams/Lehmann/Vieira/Keown/Henry all had a very nasty side when it suited them as well. Meanwhile, Theo Walcott and Aaron Ramsey probably still check under their beds before they go to sleep at night. :rolleyes: So it would be nice for a change to have someone like Luis Suarez being an absolute **** on our behalf...

Still, 35m wont be enough. It'll take 40m and I'd bite their hands off even at that price. What a player he is.
    Poor comparison mate. Those players did have a nasty streak in them, but they still remained classy in a way. Viera would give you a bloody nose but then drop you a handkerchief to wipe yourself with. Meanwhile, Suarez would slap, bite and scratch you before pinching your wallet whilst you lay in a gutter.

In any case, Suarez would surely flunk Wenger's famed psychology/personality tests.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he does have quite the reputation. Bit Otmar Bakkal on the neck while he was playing for Ajax which shows that the Ivanovic bite wasn't a one of. I do think the English media have had an agenda against him but that's been of his own doing. He's a controversial figure so there is no doubt that persecuting him will sell papers.

In terms of Suarez the player, make no mistake about it, this guy would turn us into genuine title contenders, and if given a choice between Higuain at £25m and Suarez at £40m I would definitely take the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Don't watch Theo. Don't let the nice guy and pretty boy persona fool you. That boy's got a mean streak in him- remember he once talked about how he went looking for a defender who scarred him once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Poor comparison mate. Those players did have a nasty streak in them, but they still remained classy in a way. Viera would give you a bloody nose but then drop you a handkerchief to wipe yourself with. Meanwhile, Suarez would slap, bite and scratch you before pinching your wallet whilst you lay in a gutter.

In any case, Suarez would surely flunk Wenger's famed psychology/personality tests.
    Suarez is an extremely classy footballer and in fairness, a devoted family man by all accounts.

Would cut him some slack as well since he grew up in a slum in Uruguay. All well and good for English people to expect him to conduct himself like Prince Charming but in reality, he's probably had to bite and scratch his way out of the ghetto. That doesnt mean his actions are right, but what's he really done that's so unforgivable?

If we'd signed Cantona, I doubt people would have moaned as much about him literally stud-kicking a spectator int he chest. So people need to stop acting as if Suarez is some kind of monster and just pray that we get him.

ReputationRep:
    If we'd signed Cantona, I doubt people would have moaned as much about him literally stud-kicking a spectator int he chest. So people need to stop acting as if Suarez is some kind of monster and just pray that we get him.
    That's quite a good point, actually. I'd totally forgotten Cantona's dropkick on a FAN. In the middle of a game? Probably the maddest thing a sportsperson can do, but he's still a Utd legend and famed as one of their best ever players.

I'm still not sure I want Suarez. We'll break our wage structure for him. I've played in football teams with guys with a nasty edge too and it always made me feel uncomfortable personally, even if they scored goals or whatever.

There's no question for me that he's a truly brilliant player. I also feel like I'll have problems supporting him. It's possible his team and his manager will reform him, but I don't think so... he's always going to do stupid **** like bite people. Ajax came to hate him, and every Liverpool fan I know wants the money.

Undeniably, though, it's good to see Arsenal actually exerting a bit of financial strength, regardless of who that's for. I'd still like a midfielder, and am failing to see where the burden which was placed on Santi last season, making him play an amazing number of games, is going to be relieved this year round. We can't push him that hard again and expect the same level, nor can we expect him to be injury free the whole season again...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that this suarez bid is just a ploy by arsenal. Hasn't suarez said he wants to leave england, I highly doubt he would come here and it could just be that arsenal are bidding for a 'world class player' to please the fans knowing that we'd never get him and then we'll end up buying an average player, but at least arsenal can say they tried

ReputationRep:
    looks like a serial negger is back on this thread...

ReputationRep:
    Suarez is an extremely classy footballer and in fairness, a devoted family man by all accounts.

Would cut him some slack as well since he grew up in a slum in Uruguay. All well and good for English people to expect him to conduct himself like Prince Charming but in reality, he's probably had to bite and scratch his way out of the ghetto. That doesnt mean his actions are right, but what's he really done that's so unforgivable?

You can't really use the Cantona situation and compare it to Suarez's one. The major differences is that Cantona was provoked and reacted whereas Suarez's 2 biggest crime are seen as him acting like a bully. Thus Suarez is seen as an abhorrent vice person stained with vice whereas eventhough - and you'll find little people after him whereas, with Cantona's reaction, you'll find/ found people that are very forthcoming with their sympathy for how Cantona reacted. And lets not forget the media's also out to get Suarez.

Would be an excellent buy but, there's just so much that's waiting to go wrong. Him growing up in slum doesn't excuses his action- many have from the slum have come to before him and behaved more cordially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    looks like a serial negger is back on this thread...
    Wouldn't worry about it, it won't affect your rep. Just some troll.

Yes, I think it could be a ploy. I think it's Arsenal saying "we don't have to go for your guy so stop setting abnormal price points or we'll buy someone else" to a number of clubs. The prices which have been asked have kind of surprised me and I'm glad we've not paid them. £10m for Williams? No thanks. Jovetic going for £27m. Real seem to be putting on an extra 1-2m every time we talk about Higuain. The guys at Arsenal are some of the top businessmen in the country, and so yeah I think there's a lot of power-politics going on..

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.