The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rainbowworld
Yay exciting! I know me too - they kept going on in my interview about me not having enough foundation stage experience, so I think my conditions may involve doing another week or two in a school as they said they regularly make offers that require you spend one or two more weeks in a school.

Oh okay, at least you know what to expect then :-) I think they were pretty happy with my experience so the conditions will probably be related to what I obtain in my degree, and maybe they don't know that I've passed my skills tests now.

Am I right in thinking that we can't reply or do anything until we've received the letter from the uni and until all our choices have replied to us? Don't want to do anything silly to mess up the offer!!
Reply 5381
I have an interview next week, my first one. My document checklist says "your degree certificate and transcripts - Originals? 2 copies?" My degree certificates have been hanging up since 2009 and it's only upon taking them out of the frames tonight that I realised THEY'RE MOUNTED ON CARDBOARD! Oh and I'm travelling from Ireland for the interview. But even if I wasn't I wouldn't fancy lugging A3 pieces of card that I really don't want to damage around with me all day. The plan WAS to roll them up and pop them in a cardboard tube, now I'm wondering if photocopies of it (as well as transcripts of course) will be sufficient? Anyone?

I might ring them in the morning but I was hoping someone on here might know if your original certificates are really necessary
Original post by BigMommaC
Hi, anyone else waiting for Manchester uni to get back for primary PGCE? I had my interview last Friday and keep manically refreshing my email and checking UCAS. Does anyone know how long they usually take to get back to you?

I had my interview then too :smile: They said 10 working days but I got my offer late today.
Thanks for the update! Congratulations! you must be super happy. are you going to accept? No news for me yet, not sure if that's good or bad. If you don't mind me asking how did you hear?
Original post by eimsy
I have an interview next week, my first one. My document checklist says "your degree certificate and transcripts - Originals? 2 copies?" My degree certificates have been hanging up since 2009 and it's only upon taking them out of the frames tonight that I realised THEY'RE MOUNTED ON CARDBOARD! Oh and I'm travelling from Ireland for the interview. But even if I wasn't I wouldn't fancy lugging A3 pieces of card that I really don't want to damage around with me all day. The plan WAS to roll them up and pop them in a cardboard tube, now I'm wondering if photocopies of it (as well as transcripts of course) will be sufficient? Anyone?

I might ring them in the morning but I was hoping someone on here might know if your original certificates are really necessary

All the unis I interviewed at specified originals and checked them on the day.

If you contact them they may say otherwise, but I'm inclined to say that they'll ask you to take them anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
It really is a very personal thing. I know that a uni based PGCE was definitely the right option for me because I needed that support of all the other PGCE students who I have made great friends with (and still do need their support), I needed the grounding in theory and to see all the different ideas and WHY they are important, I needed the support of a variety of different tutors with different knowledge and expertise. I have gained so much from all of this and uni really helped me pull it all together and make sense of it. I feel like if I had been school based it would have limited me to picking up mostly what I've seen on placements and not being able to evaluate it as much, be kind of trained to what that school thinks rather than a more general overview. Also I'd feel very much thrown in the deep end!!!

But all this is just me. Others will be very different. Plus, the SCITTs vary a lot... Some of them buy in to the majority of the local PGCE anyway, which makes a difference and eliminates some of the issues I mentioned above.
Xxxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm... I am doing an Education Studies degree at the moment, so I'm not so worried about theory. However, I am worried about support. It's strange because I presumed the PGCE would be more supportive, but the lady who interviewed me went out of her way to tell us all we would be expected to work very independently... she kept reminding us that there would be very little contact with tutors or mentors. In comparison, the people at the SCITT seemed more friendly and professional, but that's just interviews so it's hard to tell. I'm worried about how I will be trained at a SCITT. Their website has very little information and it seems to vary massively depending on the area. :/
Reply 5386
Original post by alabelle
Hmm... I am doing an Education Studies degree at the moment, so I'm not so worried about theory. However, I am worried about support. It's strange because I presumed the PGCE would be more supportive, but the lady who interviewed me went out of her way to tell us all we would be expected to work very independently... she kept reminding us that there would be very little contact with tutors or mentors. In comparison, the people at the SCITT seemed more friendly and professional, but that's just interviews so it's hard to tell. I'm worried about how I will be trained at a SCITT. Their website has very little information and it seems to vary massively depending on the area. :/

If you have an offer it might be worth contacting them to chat about it so you have a better idea.

With the PGCE they might just have wanted to emphasise that you spend long periods away from uni on placement. Or they might not offer as much support- every PGCE varies too, so its so hard to say! I'd also use you're judgement of how you fell about the atmosphere, support etc of each option.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xnicolexwx
Oh okay, at least you know what to expect then :-) I think they were pretty happy with my experience so the conditions will probably be related to what I obtain in my degree, and maybe they don't know that I've passed my skills tests now.

Am I right in thinking that we can't reply or do anything until we've received the letter from the uni and until all our choices have replied to us? Don't want to do anything silly to mess up the offer!!

Yeah - Can't believe the letter is taking so long though - Everyday I'm checking the post for it! Really want the letter now!!

Yeah, and you have to pass the medical questionnaire thing, pass a CRB and get a week booked in a school for September to totally meet the offer I think..?

You could accept it now - You have to withdraw from your other choices first, and then you can accept the Cambridge offer. I think as soon as the offer is on track you can accept, with or without the official letter in the post. I have an interview at Reading though so am going to go to that first.
Original post by xnicolexwx

You don't need the letter from the uni if your offer is on track, unless you have been specifically told!

You can withdraw from your remaining choices on track and then the option you want to go to should have a reply to offer link on your ucas choices page which you click and confirm if you definitely want to go. This is what I did and I've not had a letter from the uni I've accepted the offer at!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi does anyone have an interview at wolverhampton on Monday or has anyone had one previously. It's my first interview and I'm quite nervous!!
Does anyone have an interview at UCB University College Birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
some ideas of an item or image that shows some or all of 6c's.
(edited 10 years ago)
Which uni is more respected for the Primary PGCE (and has better job prospects) - Roehampton or St Mary's?
Original post by rainbowworld
Yeah - Can't believe the letter is taking so long though - Everyday I'm checking the post for it! Really want the letter now!!

Yeah, and you have to pass the medical questionnaire thing, pass a CRB and get a week booked in a school for September to totally meet the offer I think..?

You could accept it now - You have to withdraw from your other choices first, and then you can accept the Cambridge offer. I think as soon as the offer is on track you can accept, with or without the official letter in the post. I have an interview at Reading though so am going to go to that first.

I got my letter this morning :-) The conditions are just like you said really, but the school experience has to be done before 30th June. And there are some other forms to complete too.

I heard back from my other uni so I've now accepted Cambridge's offer :-) Good luck with your Reading interview!
Original post by LaurieLee
You don't need the letter from the uni if your offer is on track, unless you have been specifically told!

You can withdraw from your remaining choices on track and then the option you want to go to should have a reply to offer link on your ucas choices page which you click and confirm if you definitely want to go. This is what I did and I've not had a letter from the uni I've accepted the offer at!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :-) my other uni has now replied anyway so I was able to accept the offer. On my UCAS I was told to wait for the letter from the university to see the conditions, so I just wanted to wait and see what the conditions were before I accepted. I guess all unis do it differently.
Reply 5395
Hi all.

So after failing Apply 1 (unsurprisingly; no classroom experience) I now have an interview offer in what looks to be a really brilliant place. It's in Lincoln, which is ideal for me, and it's a girl's Selective Academy. Considering Apply 1 options rejected me, this seems mad! I am absolutely chuffed that what looks to be a very high-performance secondary school is considering me, but it is a little too good to be true. Obviously, I'm also wracked with nerves for the interview next week.

I'm just wondering what general thoughts are, however, on this. There are so many posts about the 'difficult' classes and schools, and the general understanding seems to be that it's better to experience the difficult side of teaching whilst you can. I am certainly not saying there won't be unruly and difficult situations/children in the Sleaford school, however I don't think it's unfair to say behaviour will be more 'agreeable' for a new teacher. For some reason, I feel as though I'm 'cheating' by skipping out what is almost a ritual for new teachers; I feel as though I should go through the hard stuff so many seem to relish. But really, I'm very happy at the prospect of avoiding the stickier side of teaching, which I know stems from selfishness and silliness on my part, but nevertheless... the one thing I would dread is teaching something I love (English) to pupils that often won't give a single crap about the subject at the level I see in my placement. Which again - still applies to many grammar pupils, absolutely. However I feel as though it will allow teachers to give more attention to the enjoyment of a subject than the pure desperate 'trying to get one thing into their heads' styles I've seen necessary in the placement, which is in a low-performing school in a struggling area.

Not sure exactly what I'm trying to say, and either way it's irrelevant because of course I am going to go for this interview full-force, but does anyone have any thoughts on the above? Am I 'cheating' and will it put me at any disadvantage in the long term?

Thanks all, and as I haven't been on the thread for weeks - hope you have all done well in interviews !
Original post by awe
Hi all.

So after failing Apply 1 (unsurprisingly; no classroom experience) I now have an interview offer in what looks to be a really brilliant place. It's in Lincoln, which is ideal for me, and it's a girl's Selective Academy. Considering Apply 1 options rejected me, this seems mad! I am absolutely chuffed that what looks to be a very high-performance secondary school is considering me, but it is a little too good to be true. Obviously, I'm also wracked with nerves for the interview next week.

I'm just wondering what general thoughts are, however, on this. There are so many posts about the 'difficult' classes and schools, and the general understanding seems to be that it's better to experience the difficult side of teaching whilst you can. I am certainly not saying there won't be unruly and difficult situations/children in the Sleaford school, however I don't think it's unfair to say behaviour will be more 'agreeable' for a new teacher. For some reason, I feel as though I'm 'cheating' by skipping out what is almost a ritual for new teachers; I feel as though I should go through the hard stuff so many seem to relish. But really, I'm very happy at the prospect of avoiding the stickier side of teaching, which I know stems from selfishness and silliness on my part, but nevertheless... the one thing I would dread is teaching something I love (English) to pupils that often won't give a single crap about the subject at the level I see in my placement. Which again - still applies to many grammar pupils, absolutely. However I feel as though it will allow teachers to give more attention to the enjoyment of a subject than the pure desperate 'trying to get one thing into their heads' styles I've seen necessary in the placement, which is in a low-performing school in a struggling area.

Not sure exactly what I'm trying to say, and either way it's irrelevant because of course I am going to go for this interview full-force, but does anyone have any thoughts on the above? Am I 'cheating' and will it put me at any disadvantage in the long term?

Thanks all, and as I haven't been on the thread for weeks - hope you have all done well in interviews !

Congratulations on your interview! I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. You're not 'cheating' in any way by taking a position in what you deem to be a good school. You'll have your whole career to experience tougher environments, if that's what you crave. Plus, just because a school is a reputable grammar school, or 'outstanding' according to Ofsted, doesn't mean that you won't have to deal with difficult behaviour or disengaged students.

Best of luck! :biggrin:
Reply 5397
Original post by bellylaugh
Congratulations on your interview! I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. You're not 'cheating' in any way by taking a position in what you deem to be a good school. You'll have your whole career to experience tougher environments, if that's what you crave. Plus, just because a school is a reputable grammar school, or 'outstanding' according to Ofsted, doesn't mean that you won't have to deal with difficult behaviour or disengaged students.

Best of luck! :biggrin:

Thank you. :smile: I certainly agree, I just can't help over-thinking and over-feeling about this aspect of it all because it is, in my eyes, great luck. I feel like I'm trying really hard to avoid coming across as 'snobby' if I admit that I would definitely prefer work in a grammar school, as well. I don't want to look as though I'm taking the easy route (although yes, it still won't be easy at all I'm sure). Regardless - thank you. I'll try to stop getting anxious over something that doesn't really matter at this point haha.
Reply 5398
Did anyone find it difficult to get a reference from your university?

So far, it's been the most difficult part of the PGCE application. I emailed a lecturer asking for a reference. She agreed, so I added her details to UCAS. It's been a week and she still hasn't added a reference, and hasn't replied to my email.

I know they're busy, so I don't want to pester them, however at the same time, I really need to get this sent off ASAP. :frown:

My second reference from a previous employer has been completed, so am just waiting on this one.
Original post by kpwxx
If you have an offer it might be worth contacting them to chat about it so you have a better idea.

With the PGCE they might just have wanted to emphasise that you spend long periods away from uni on placement. Or they might not offer as much support- every PGCE varies too, so its so hard to say! I'd also use you're judgement of how you fell about the atmosphere, support etc of each option.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi kpwxx,

May I ask - how busy are your breaks when on the PGCE?

Should I expect an overload of work during the Easter hols/Christmas hols etc?

Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending