Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PGCE 2014 Applications (NOT FOR SPECIFIC INTERVIEW TASK DISCUSSIONS) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roisinkelly94)
    The interview went well yesterday! The staff are really nice and friendly and actually want you to do well..! the main thing is to just be yourself and engage in the groups discussion!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do they tell us to give any presentation or something like that??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siffatsaad)
    Do they tell us to give any presentation or something like that??
    Is it that of they don't want to carry us forward, they send u home by afternoon?? N one more thing,the test which we have to give, are the questions just from literacy n numeracy or all the subjects?? Thanks for your help... xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siffatsaad)
    Is it that of they don't want to carry us forward, they send u home by afternoon?? N one more thing,the test which we have to give, are the questions just from literacy n numeracy or all the subjects?? Thanks for your help... xx
    You have to take part in a group discussion! And the questions are based on all national curriculum subjects! Some people were sent home yesterday before the afternoon session!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You have to take part in a group discussion! And the questions are based on all national curriculum subjects! Some people were sent home yesterday before the afternoon session!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Many thanks...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What uni was this?

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham city university!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    What uni was this?
    BCU

ReputationRep:
    Hi, anyone else waiting for Manchester uni to get back for primary PGCE? I had my interview last Friday and keep manically refreshing my email and checking UCAS. Does anyone know how long they usually take to get back to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senselesspider)
    When did you submit your application? I submitted mine on the 3rd and I've heard from the school direct I've applied to, but nothing at all from both Middlesex and UEL. Not sure if I should be worried?
    Have you heard from Middlesex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smartypantsj)
    Thanks if this is the case then, I can then go to my third interview early March and decide from then (if I am successful).
    I agree too! 10 days from receiving an answer from all 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowworld)
    Yay exciting! I know me too - they kept going on in my interview about me not having enough foundation stage experience, so I think my conditions may involve doing another week or two in a school as they said they regularly make offers that require you spend one or two more weeks in a school.
    Oh okay, at least you know what to expect then :-) I think they were pretty happy with my experience so the conditions will probably be related to what I obtain in my degree, and maybe they don't know that I've passed my skills tests now.

Am I right in thinking that we can't reply or do anything until we've received the letter from the uni and until all our choices have replied to us? Don't want to do anything silly to mess up the offer!!

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview next week, my first one. My document checklist says "your degree certificate and transcripts - Originals? 2 copies?" My degree certificates have been hanging up since 2009 and it's only upon taking them out of the frames tonight that I realised THEY'RE MOUNTED ON CARDBOARD! Oh and I'm travelling from Ireland for the interview. But even if I wasn't I wouldn't fancy lugging A3 pieces of card that I really don't want to damage around with me all day. The plan WAS to roll them up and pop them in a cardboard tube, now I'm wondering if photocopies of it (as well as transcripts of course) will be sufficient? Anyone?

I might ring them in the morning but I was hoping someone on here might know if your original certificates are really necessary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigMommaC)
    Hi, anyone else waiting for Manchester uni to get back for primary PGCE? I had my interview last Friday and keep manically refreshing my email and checking UCAS. Does anyone know how long they usually take to get back to you?
    I had my interview then too They said 10 working days but I got my offer late today.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the update! Congratulations! you must be super happy. are you going to accept? No news for me yet, not sure if that's good or bad. If you don't mind me asking how did you hear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eimsy)
    I have an interview next week, my first one. My document checklist says "your degree certificate and transcripts - Originals? 2 copies?" My degree certificates have been hanging up since 2009 and it's only upon taking them out of the frames tonight that I realised THEY'RE MOUNTED ON CARDBOARD! Oh and I'm travelling from Ireland for the interview. But even if I wasn't I wouldn't fancy lugging A3 pieces of card that I really don't want to damage around with me all day. The plan WAS to roll them up and pop them in a cardboard tube, now I'm wondering if photocopies of it (as well as transcripts of course) will be sufficient? Anyone?

I might ring them in the morning but I was hoping someone on here might know if your original certificates are really necessary
    All the unis I interviewed at specified originals and checked them on the day.

If you contact them they may say otherwise, but I'm inclined to say that they'll ask you to take them anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    It really is a very personal thing. I know that a uni based PGCE was definitely the right option for me because I needed that support of all the other PGCE students who I have made great friends with (and still do need their support), I needed the grounding in theory and to see all the different ideas and WHY they are important, I needed the support of a variety of different tutors with different knowledge and expertise. I have gained so much from all of this and uni really helped me pull it all together and make sense of it. I feel like if I had been school based it would have limited me to picking up mostly what I've seen on placements and not being able to evaluate it as much, be kind of trained to what that school thinks rather than a more general overview. Also I'd feel very much thrown in the deep end!!!

But all this is just me. Others will be very different. Plus, the SCITTs vary a lot... Some of them buy in to the majority of the local PGCE anyway, which makes a difference and eliminates some of the issues I mentioned above.
    Xxxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm... I am doing an Education Studies degree at the moment, so I'm not so worried about theory. However, I am worried about support. It's strange because I presumed the PGCE would be more supportive, but the lady who interviewed me went out of her way to tell us all we would be expected to work very independently... she kept reminding us that there would be very little contact with tutors or mentors. In comparison, the people at the SCITT seemed more friendly and professional, but that's just interviews so it's hard to tell. I'm worried about how I will be trained at a SCITT. Their website has very little information and it seems to vary massively depending on the area. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Hmm... I am doing an Education Studies degree at the moment, so I'm not so worried about theory. However, I am worried about support. It's strange because I presumed the PGCE would be more supportive, but the lady who interviewed me went out of her way to tell us all we would be expected to work very independently... she kept reminding us that there would be very little contact with tutors or mentors. In comparison, the people at the SCITT seemed more friendly and professional, but that's just interviews so it's hard to tell. I'm worried about how I will be trained at a SCITT. Their website has very little information and it seems to vary massively depending on the area. :/
    If you have an offer it might be worth contacting them to chat about it so you have a better idea.

With the PGCE they might just have wanted to emphasise that you spend long periods away from uni on placement. Or they might not offer as much support- every PGCE varies too, so its so hard to say! I'd also use you're judgement of how you fell about the atmosphere, support etc of each option.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xnicolexwx)
    Oh okay, at least you know what to expect then :-) I think they were pretty happy with my experience so the conditions will probably be related to what I obtain in my degree, and maybe they don't know that I've passed my skills tests now.

Am I right in thinking that we can't reply or do anything until we've received the letter from the uni and until all our choices have replied to us? Don't want to do anything silly to mess up the offer!!
    Yeah - Can't believe the letter is taking so long though - Everyday I'm checking the post for it! Really want the letter now!!

Yeah, and you have to pass the medical questionnaire thing, pass a CRB and get a week booked in a school for September to totally meet the offer I think..?

You could accept it now - You have to withdraw from your other choices first, and then you can accept the Cambridge offer. I think as soon as the offer is on track you can accept, with or without the official letter in the post. I have an interview at Reading though so am going to go to that first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xnicolexwx)

You don't need the letter from the uni if your offer is on track, unless you have been specifically told!

You can withdraw from your remaining choices on track and then the option you want to go to should have a reply to offer link on your ucas choices page which you click and confirm if you definitely want to go. This is what I did and I've not had a letter from the uni I've accepted the offer at!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone have an interview at wolverhampton on Monday or has anyone had one previously. It's my first interview and I'm quite nervous!!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.