Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I hope Wenger feels like Leinad. Would make Chelsea's job this season much easier.
    I think he does. It's all right though we've got Wellington Silva up and coming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    I think he does. It's all right though we've got Wellington Silva up and coming.
    Why don't he give up and sign permanently at a Spanish club, it's obvious he'll never get a work permit

ReputationRep:
    He has his work permit now. Hence he's going on loan to Bolton this year.

ReputationRep:
    Only just found out Emiliano Martinez is on loan at Wolves. Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Only just found out Emiliano Martinez is on loan at Wolves. Fair enough.
    Only just? There was a classic game vs Hull a few days ago where Emi, Afobe, Hayden and Akpom all played.

ReputationRep:
    So... Giroud/Walcott/Welbeck or Rooney/Hernandez/Wilson?

ReputationRep:
    lol Welbz would be Utd's best striker right now.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm new on here but I'm a huge Arsenal fan. Have been a season ticket holder for 7 seasons.

Anyway, what do you guys think we need to mount a SERIOUS title challenge.

I rate Giroud highly but I don't think he's quite got it in him to fire us to the title. We need depth in that position too. I rate Welbeck but mainly as a wide man due to his work rate and excellent ability to carry the ball with his mixture of speed and strength.

I also think we need another holding midfielder. One, we lack depth in that position. Flamini is far below Arsenal standard imo, and I believe Arteta's main use is as a dressing room voice of reason and experience. And two, as we saw against Palace, I think Coquelin's discipline and passing is sometimes suspect. He's great at the basic but technically I think he sometimes tries things that perhaps he can't execute.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ademjh)
    Hey guys. I'm new on here but I'm a huge Arsenal fan. Have been a season ticket holder for 7 seasons.

Anyway, what do you guys think we need to mount a SERIOUS title challenge.

I rate Giroud highly but I don't think he's quite got it in him to fire us to the title. We need depth in that position too. I rate Welbeck but mainly as a wide man due to his work rate and excellent ability to carry the ball with his mixture of speed and strength.

I also think we need another holding midfielder. One, we lack depth in that position. Flamini is far below Arsenal standard imo, and I believe Arteta's main use is as a dressing room voice of reason and experience. And two, as we saw against Palace, I think Coquelin's discipline and passing is sometimes suspect. He's great at the basic but technically I think he sometimes tries things that perhaps he can't execute.

What do you guys think?
    That's all well and good, but do you wear replica shirts at games?

Joking, welcome aboard. Just a heads up, the most active poster on here is a Chelsea fan. If you like AFTV then you won't like this thread much. EiE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Lmao TFW "why did we sign Lacazette we had Welbeck"

Fuark me stop arguing for the sake of arguing
    It's Arsenal fans we're talking about mate, it wouldn't surprise me.

Would you genuinely want Lacazette? I mean, what gap does he fill in the team, is he a £25mil improvement on Walcott? Anyway, as I've already said (and as you completely disregarded) he wouldn't be easy to sign anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Joel Campbell, Sanogo and Wellington Silva are complete profit players, don't think Wenger genuinely thinks they'll ever make it, but on free transfers and loaned out for 5 years we can sell them for a few bob.

Oh and lads, Benzema is on the way in the next 48hrs, that Coloumbian sloot on twitter said so
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by angelfox)
    lol Welbz would be Utd's best striker right now.
    He's no Fellaini

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Only just? There was a classic game vs Hull a few days ago where Emi, Afobe, Hayden and Akpom all played.
    Yeah just. Dude on the news was like "Martinez, on loan from Arsenal made a few saves", I was like O alright kl. Nah missed it, did they win

ReputationRep:
    So who is our 3rd choice keeper now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    So who is our 3rd choice keeper now?
    http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players there isn't one. In the likely case where both keepers can be injured (And because we're Arsenal, I do say 'likely') We may probably have to utilize one of our outfield players as a makeshift GK. Whom would you suggest in this scenario, I would say Chambers, or maybe Koscielny? close enough.

No but seriously, probably Huddart or Macey. FFS.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players there isn't one. In the likely case where both keepers can be injured (And because we're Arsenal, I do say 'likely' We may probably have to utilize one of our outfield players as a makeshift GK. Whom would you suggest in this scenario, I would say Chambers, or maybe Koscielny? close enough.

Or just recall Martinez from his loan like we did with Coq

ReputationRep:
    http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players there isn't one. In the likely case where both keepers can be injured (And because we're Arsenal, I do say 'likely' We may probably have to utilize one of our outfield players as a makeshift GK. Whom would you suggest in this scenario, I would say Chambers, or maybe Koscielny? close enough.

It's the gamble between loaning your 3rd keeper for experience but risking a keeper crisis. You would assume we'd emergency loan in a keeper if a crisis occurred but I highly doubt we could recall a keeper from loan. Only we could have 4 excellent keeping options, then loan 2 of them out and end up with an injury situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    It's Arsenal fans we're talking about mate, it wouldn't surprise me.

Would you genuinely want Lacazette? I mean, what gap does he fill in the team, is he a £25mil improvement on Walcott? Anyway, as I've already said (and as you completely disregarded) he wouldn't be easy to sign anyway.
    Or you disregarded that I said we only have 1 proficient striker at the club and that an injury to Giroud would leave us toothless.

And also the fact that he's only 24, still 2 years to enter his prime. Yes he is an improvement on Walcott and Welbeck, a significant one.
    Really we talk about how we can't afford to take a punt on players anymore but that's a myth. With the 200m in cash reserves, we're very much in a comfortable position to bid £30m for Lacazette, and even if he does flop (I doubt he'll flop) it will hardly affect us financially.

Bear in mind Giroud's age. Better to sign and nurture a striker now to have him ready for Girouds departure, then to sign someone out of the blue years later and have to sit through his adaptation phase.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is, most of the fanbase is constantly reminding us that there are no TOP strikers available. There's a global shortage of world-class strikers, we'll never get somebody like that in. Fair enough, that's probably true. We can hold out hope for Benzema or Cavani but really, they're highly unlikely.

But then people are also saying we shouldn't buy any young strikers with possible potential either, because they're too much of a risk?

Using those two excuses together results in us obviously buying nobody! Which like AR says, is pretty risky given that our choices after Giroud are all wingers who have never shone in a striker role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Or you disregarded that I said we only have 1 proficient striker at the club and that an injury to Giroud would leave us toothless.

And also the fact that he's only 24, still 2 years to enter his prime. Yes he is an improvement on Walcott and Welbeck, a significant one.
    Really we talk about how we can't afford to take a punt on players anymore but that's a myth. With the 200m in cash reserves, we're very much in a comfortable position to bid £30m for Lacazette, and even if he does flop (I doubt he'll flop) it will hardly affect us financially.

Bear in mind Giroud's age. Better to sign and nurture a striker now to have him ready for Girouds departure, then to sign someone out of the blue years later and have to sit through his adaptation phase.
    No I do agree Giroud is our only main striker but walcott has been good up top when needed. You know my feelings on Welbeck, can't wait for us to ship him out to a Sunderland or Norwich for £10mil next summer.
    What I'm saying is Lacazette isn't a big improvement on Walcott if at all, he hasn't turned up in 1 big game domestic or in Europa league. He's a flat track bully in a **** league with penalties boosting his stats significantly. Yes he is young, yes he has a decent chance of coming good, but right now we need a finished product, an Ozil, a Sanchez, not another ok striker.

My problem is that it leaves us in EXACTLY the same situation next year as now, with 3 or 4 ok strikers that we need to ship out before signing someone better, although the adaption bit for when Giroud leaves I agree with.

Anyway, NONE of that matters because HE WON'T SIGN, he has expressed his desire to stay at Lyon for this season, to be the main man and help his chances for getting into France's squad for his home Euro's.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.