Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    My mentor is really nice and supportive but he is so stressed and busy all the time we haven't really done things properly - I'm his first trainee and we've both been slack with paper work and stuff - I'm wondering how finely they go through it at verification? For example, I have quite a few lessons without plans, no evaluations etc.

I don't have any teachers watching me now in my lessons except for observations so that's partly why I don't feel as emotional after a bad lesson - I felt a lot of it was humiliation that the class teacher witnessed such atrocities.
    They aren't likely to find out you don't have a lesson plan for every single lesson - as long as you have one for observations then I don't know how they would find out. However, my uni sometimes ask to see your files, so I guess you may be lacking in lesson plans if they look at that. I haven't done any evaluations yet :ninja: . Easiest thing with those is to keep them updated and do them ASAP, so that a month later you've not got to complete 30 or something!

I can definitely relate to your second point. I was never alone in the classroom on my first placement, and even though I wasn't always formally observed, she was always watching. At my second placement they have said in a week's time they will let me be alone in the classroom and it may help my nerves. I do feel that I get more nervous about the adult watching me rather than the class I'm teaching. I do like having them there are a back up in case something goes really wrong, but in the NQT year you don't have that so I guess I'll have to get used to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    They aren't likely to find out you don't have a lesson plan for every single lesson - as long as you have one for observations then I don't know how they would find out. However, my uni sometimes ask to see your files, so I guess you may be lacking in lesson plans if they look at that. I haven't done any evaluations yet :ninja: . Easiest thing with those is to keep them updated and do them ASAP, so that a month later you've not got to complete 30 or something!

I can definitely relate to your second point. I was never alone in the classroom on my first placement, and even though I wasn't always formally observed, she was always watching. At my second placement they have said in a week's time they will let me be alone in the classroom and it may help my nerves. I do feel that I get more nervous about the adult watching me rather than the class I'm teaching. I do like having them there are a back up in case something goes really wrong, but in the NQT year you don't have that so I guess I'll have to get used to it!
    Remember the point of your school file with lesson plans and evaluations is ultimately to provide evidence that you're meeting the teacher standards.

A school file with no/very few lesson plans in it is unlikely to do this - your lesson plans show you meeting various standards including differentiation, planning to build on pupils' prior learning, a range of assessment strategies, subject knowledge etc.

But if you should have 100 lesson plans and you actually have 80, I don't see how that would impact on meeting the standards. They're not going to count them.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    My mentor is really nice and supportive but he is so stressed and busy all the time we haven't really done things properly - I'm his first trainee and we've both been slack with paper work and stuff - I'm wondering how finely they go through it at verification? For example, I have quite a few lessons without plans, no evaluations etc.

I don't have any teachers watching me now in my lessons except for observations so that's partly why I don't feel as emotional after a bad lesson - I felt a lot of it was humiliation that the class teacher witnessed such atrocities.
    My university checks the teaching folder for one class at the end of the second placement, and so have said that you should make sure at least one of them is fully-stocked and meets all the criteria. But it all seems very shakey really - provided you can provide other evidence for meeting all of the teacher's standards you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    What do you all do for extra-curricular? If anything. Because it is now second placement I know I am expected to do something, but I'm really not sure what!

ReputationRep:
    What do you all do for extra-curricular? If anything. Because it is now second placement I know I am expected to do something, but I'm really not sure what!
    I found an existing club and helped out with it - it would be a bit much to expect you to set something up yourself (plus a little pointless as it will probably only run for a couple of months then end when you leave, so there's no continuity).

My school had an after-school dance club and I just asked the teacher if I could help with it. So sometimes I took small groups of pupils separately to work on something and other times I basically just joined in.

ReputationRep:
    The easiest way of getting involved is probably by helping out with a sports team (if you are in any way sporty). Or you could help at a lunchtime/ after school club, or even set up one of your own. Depending on your subject, you could set up a lunchtime film club or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    I found an existing club and helped out with it - it would be a bit much to expect you to set something up yourself (plus a little pointless as it will probably only run for a couple of months then end when you leave, so there's no continuity).

My school had an after-school dance club and I just asked the teacher if I could help with it. So sometimes I took small groups of pupils separately to work on something and other times I basically just joined in.

(Original post by rachel.h)
    The easiest way of getting involved is probably by helping out with a sports team (if you are in any way sporty). Or you could help at a lunchtime/ after school club, or even set up one of your own. Depending on your subject, you could set up a lunchtime film club or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your replies. Well my plan was to help out with something but she told me there wasn't really anything running so I could set up my own. I'm not sporty in the slightest (that would be so much easier!).

I was leaning towards a film club because it sounds easy and I really can't think of anything else to do. It also sounds a bit boring though, but I guess the kids like having somewhere warm to come and eat their lunch with a film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    My university checks the teaching folder for one class at the end of the second placement, and so have said that you should make sure at least one of them is fully-stocked and meets all the criteria. But it all seems very shakey really - provided you can provide other evidence for meeting all of the teacher's standards you should be fine.
    My uni check every folder at the beginning and end of the placement, including class info, lesson evaluations and plans. I had some evaluations missing from my last placement and the uni were not happy at all.

Our teaching standards evidence mostly comes from other things though, like lectures and comments made about us on our lesson observations.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. Well my plan was to help out with something but she told me there wasn't really anything running so I could set up my own. I'm not sporty in the slightest (that would be so much easier!).

I was leaning towards a film club because it sounds easy and I really can't think of anything else to do. It also sounds a bit boring though, but I guess the kids like having somewhere warm to come and eat their lunch with a film.
    You could use it to demonstrate building positive pastoral relationships with pupils?

ReputationRep:
    ICT/Computing folks/OR anyone who knows

Is it okay to ask to observe how a technical lesson is taught so you can learn how to explain things better/break things into smaller chunks?

I have a lesson on cryptology and they need to use excel for it - I have tried self teaching this topic, I have no clue, and I feel lost beyond anything..

I cannot imagine teaching this to an able A* class (literally) when I have no clue on it myself

I have taught the lower years Logo and scratch so far, this is just about okay, but the above flew past my head.

Sometimes I really think I chose the wrong subject - I'm not saying English or History are easy but I may have enjoyed them a little more.. I taught a lot of business studies in my last placement, i enjoyed it 10 times more! But I don't think it's easy to swap to those after my PGCE
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    In my first placement I ran mock Oxbridge interviews for physics and engineering as well as running a science club session (it ran on a rota where all science staff taught once per term). My second placement doesn't seem to do much extra-curricular at all - I don't know of anyone in my department involved in anything.

If you want to avoid sport, perhaps offer to do some lunchtime revision sessions for key year groups? Schools will normally jump at the opportunity to have more instruction - they can either be open to all pupils or compulsory for pupils on the C/D borderline (for example).

ReputationRep:
    Im just feeling so negative today, ive spent all morning working on an assignment and ive got marking to do this afternoon and im just sitting here wondering why im going through this when i could go back to my old systems management job and have weekends to chill for the most part and none of this stress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    In my first placement I ran mock Oxbridge interviews for physics and engineering as well as running a science club session (it ran on a rota where all science staff taught once per term). My second placement doesn't seem to do much extra-curricular at all - I don't know of anyone in my department involved in anything.

If you want to avoid sport, perhaps offer to do some lunchtime revision sessions for key year groups? Schools will normally jump at the opportunity to have more instruction - they can either be open to all pupils or compulsory for pupils on the C/D borderline (for example).
    Hmm. I love the uni interview idea, but this placement is only 11-16. I am already doing a revision session for D target pupils, but they are being pulled out of lesson for it so it's not really extra curricular. I'll have to have a think. My mentor doesn't seem too bothered if I do anything or not, but it is essential for one of the standards I think. I can't remember now.
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Im just feeling so negative today, ive spent all morning working on an assignment and ive got marking to do this afternoon and im just sitting here wondering why im going through this when i could go back to my old systems management job and have weekends to chill for the most part and none of this stress
    Look at it this way - there must have been a reason why you decided to leave your old job and take on teaching. You just need to remind yourself of it. It is hard balancing assignments, but once they are done they are done.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I love the uni interview idea, but this placement is only 11-16. I am already doing a revision session for D target pupils, but they are being pulled out of lesson for it so it's not really extra curricular. I'll have to have a think. My mentor doesn't seem too bothered if I do anything or not, but it is essential for one of the standards I think. I can't remember now.
    Maybe think about what your strengths are? Do you speak a language or sing quite well or enjoy creative writing? Try to focus on things you enjoy and it might not seem like a huge chore to run.

ReputationRep:

Look at it this way - there must have been a reason why you decided to leave your old job and take on teaching. You just need to remind yourself of it. It is hard balancing assignments, but once they are done they are done.
    Some other good ones are maths games club (board and card games) which is good for basic numeracy skills. Homework club where you support with homework as a parent would. ICT club where they have a chance to use software the school has to play around with. Also look up computer club for girls, that would be a really simple one to run if it's still going- I was in it at school!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    To end an already dreadful week we've just had a call from my in-laws telling us that they're waiting to hear if my dog needs emergency surgery tonight or tomorrow morning.

So I think there goes uni again.

ReputationRep:
    So i just had a skype with my uni tutor and told them how i was feeling. Theyve just told me to go with it and we all get it sometimes. I do feel better for it, im just hoping that this week is better than last, i dont know if i can do 3 and a half weeks of screwing up :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    To end an already dreadful week we've just had a call from my in-laws telling us that they're waiting to hear if my dog needs emergency surgery tonight or tomorrow morning.

Aww im so sorry id be gutted if anything happened to my cats, fingers crossed for you x

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody taking the assessment only route for QTS and if so do they have any advice? Or has anybody taken this route and secured a job at the end if it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)

I feel your pain because my dog was rushed in over the weekend and I've spent all weekend worrying sick about him! He's 12...

I hope that they are okay! They really become part of the family.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.