The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlankTen
Did anyone find it difficult to get a reference from your university?

So far, it's been the most difficult part of the PGCE application. I emailed a lecturer asking for a reference. She agreed, so I added her details to UCAS. It's been a week and she still hasn't added a reference, and hasn't replied to my email.

I know they're busy, so I don't want to pester them, however at the same time, I really need to get this sent off ASAP. :frown:

My second reference from a previous employer has been completed, so am just waiting on this one.

I waited 2 weeks, and lots of people waited a long time too.

It's really frustrating. All you can do is pleasantly remind him or her of how important it is to get your application in.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5401
Original post by womanonamission
I waited 2 weeks, and lots of people waited a long time too.

It's really frustrating. All you can do is pleasantly remind him or her of how important it is to get your application in.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll give it another week then. Thankfully, all of my universities still have vacancies (PGCE Computer Science), and I don't anticipate them all filling up that quickly. :smile:
Hi...if my application has been paid and sent off to the universities that I applied to back in December . but then one of the courses closes... does that mean they will not consider my application or will they still do so because it has already been sent to them?
I have been made a conditional offer for secondary MFL in UEL. But when I read the comments on this uni, I am getting kinf of nervous. Is it really bad?
Hi everyone.
Just got a conditonal offer from UEL for PGCE MFL . But when I read the comments on the uni I get really nervous. Is it that bad?
Hi! To any one who has accepted an offer, did you get any confirmation from the University that you accepted the place for? I accepted a place over a week ago but haven't heard anything and was just wondering if that is normal? Thank you :smile:
Reply 5406
Original post by awe
Thank you. :smile: I certainly agree, I just can't help over-thinking and over-feeling about this aspect of it all because it is, in my eyes, great luck. I feel like I'm trying really hard to avoid coming across as 'snobby' if I admit that I would definitely prefer work in a grammar school, as well. I don't want to look as though I'm taking the easy route (although yes, it still won't be easy at all I'm sure). Regardless - thank you. I'll try to stop getting anxious over something that doesn't really matter at this point haha.

I know what you mean about the behaviour thing but I think a lot more people than you perhaps think would rather be in a school with good behaviour. But some people obviously do get placements in schools with tough behaviour. When I did I was pretty worried about it, but I and others I spoke to put a 'positive' spin on it by saying I'll have a good experience to use. And you can look at the reward/challenge side of it. BUT I feel that's more of a 'find the positives' thing for most people, rather than a 'tough behaviour is better full stop' thing. I feel like I'm not explaining myself very well lol, but what I'm trying to say is there are many benefits to being able to ease in with behaviour management, and being able to focus on the educational side of it and really develop that without panicking about poor behaviour.

Original post by womanonamission
Hi kpwxx,

May I ask - how busy are your breaks when on the PGCE?

Should I expect an overload of work during the Easter hols/Christmas hols etc?

Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

My uni organised it so that placements didn't overlap Xmas and Easter, so we had a nice break from that kind of work. most of the work involved was assignments (one due straight after the holidays) and catching up on course paperwork like reflective tasks, etc. You did get to have a proper break but you have to make yourself do nice things and spend time with friends and family :smile:. Also, beware, a lot of people seemed to get ill over xmas, as they had caught stuff from placement and been holding it off to power through!

Unis will different in their organisation though. You might have a placement which crosses the holidays but no assignmet due straight after, or if they're really mean you could have both!

I went to UEA btw for reference.

xxx
Reply 5407
Original post by Esmeralda4
No problem! I was worrying too but it has been so hectic at work I have had no choice.

Have you made your decision on what offer to accept yet!?! :smile:
Original post by MS90
Have you made your decision on what offer to accept yet!?! :smile:

Yeah, I accepted Derby in the end. What have you decided to do re: apply 2??
Original post by xnicolexwx
I got my letter this morning :-) The conditions are just like you said really, but the school experience has to be done before 30th June. And there are some other forms to complete too.

I heard back from my other uni so I've now accepted Cambridge's offer :-) Good luck with your Reading interview!

Yeah I got my letter yesterday too :smile: Oh I don't have to do any school experience this academic year. I think any school experience this year is in addition to the week in September that everyone has to do as part of the PGCE but before you start at Cambridge - but they didn't mention it in the letter so guess they will send out information about it soon? They talked about it a lot at the interview. Yeah, so many forms to complete!! But do forms have to be sent within 28 days of the letter or 28 days of accepting the offer?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5410
Yeah, I accepted Derby in the end. What have you decided to do re: apply 2??

Oooo sounds good :smile: ive applied for derby in apply 2 so just awaiting a reply from them!
Original post by MS90
Oooo sounds good :smile: ive applied for derby in apply 2 so just awaiting a reply from them!

Ooh good luck!!
Did you manage to get feedback from Trent?
Original post by KerryE5
I think i'm going to go BGU, I haven't accepted yet though I just want to be sure haha. Got my letter and box through today so now it all seems real! x

Hi, did you accept your offer for BGU? I accepted mine but haven't received any confirmation through the post, I have only received the box full of things from them. x
Original post by rainbowworld
Yeah I got my letter yesterday too :smile: Oh I don't have to do any school experience this academic year. Any school experience this year is in addition to the week in September that everyone has to do as part of the PGCE but before you start at Cambridge - but they didn't mention it in the letter so guess they will send out information about it soon? They talked about it a lot at the interview. Yeah, so many forms to complete!! But do forms have to be sent within 28 days of the letter or 28 days of accepting the offer?

Well done getting in! :smile: Forms have to be in within 28 days of accepting the offer.
Reply 5414
Ooh good luck!!
Did you manage to get feedback from Trent?

It was just general feedback...not much use really haha
Original post by MS90
It was just general feedback...not much use really haha

Ha helpful...
Original post by MusicGirlKH
Well done getting in! :smile: Forms have to be in within 28 days of accepting the offer.

Thanks, do you know about the skills tests? I'm sure that said 28 days after the offer (well date on the letter?) and that's why I was unsure about the forms. Maybe I read it wrongly, I should look again!
Original post by rainbowworld
Yeah I got my letter yesterday too :smile: Oh I don't have to do any school experience this academic year. I think any school experience this year is in addition to the week in September that everyone has to do as part of the PGCE but before you start at Cambridge - but they didn't mention it in the letter so guess they will send out information about it soon? They talked about it a lot at the interview. Yeah, so many forms to complete!! But do forms have to be sent within 28 days of the letter or 28 days of accepting the offer?

Oh good :-) You're lucky. I need to do another 5 days school experience before the end of June and yeah then I presume the week in September like you said - my letter doesn't mention that either. I think they'll send us info about it nearer the time. I'm pretty sure it's within 28 days of accepting the offer :-) I think it says on the letter.

Did your letter mention what you need to get in your degree? Like 2:1, etc??
Just wondering if anyone has any advice? I have 2 offers to choose from: pg dip ed secondary maths at University of Birmingham and pgce secondary maths at Birmingham City University and am finding it very difficult to choose which to accept. Any ideas?
Reply 5419
Ha helpful...

Oh yes haha...very annoying really :/

Latest

Trending

Trending