Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an interview at UCB University College Birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    some ideas of an item or image that shows some or all of 6c's.

ReputationRep:
    Which uni is more respected for the Primary PGCE (and has better job prospects) - Roehampton or St Mary's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowworld)
    Yeah - Can't believe the letter is taking so long though - Everyday I'm checking the post for it! Really want the letter now!!

Yeah, and you have to pass the medical questionnaire thing, pass a CRB and get a week booked in a school for September to totally meet the offer I think..?

You could accept it now - You have to withdraw from your other choices first, and then you can accept the Cambridge offer. I think as soon as the offer is on track you can accept, with or without the official letter in the post. I have an interview at Reading though so am going to go to that first.
    I got my letter this morning :-) The conditions are just like you said really, but the school experience has to be done before 30th June. And there are some other forms to complete too.

I heard back from my other uni so I've now accepted Cambridge's offer :-) Good luck with your Reading interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurieLee)
    You don't need the letter from the uni if your offer is on track, unless you have been specifically told!

You can withdraw from your remaining choices on track and then the option you want to go to should have a reply to offer link on your ucas choices page which you click and confirm if you definitely want to go. This is what I did and I've not had a letter from the uni I've accepted the offer at!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks :-) my other uni has now replied anyway so I was able to accept the offer. On my UCAS I was told to wait for the letter from the university to see the conditions, so I just wanted to wait and see what the conditions were before I accepted. I guess all unis do it differently.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

So after failing Apply 1 (unsurprisingly; no classroom experience) I now have an interview offer in what looks to be a really brilliant place. It's in Lincoln, which is ideal for me, and it's a girl's Selective Academy. Considering Apply 1 options rejected me, this seems mad! I am absolutely chuffed that what looks to be a very high-performance secondary school is considering me, but it is a little too good to be true. Obviously, I'm also wracked with nerves for the interview next week.

I'm just wondering what general thoughts are, however, on this. There are so many posts about the 'difficult' classes and schools, and the general understanding seems to be that it's better to experience the difficult side of teaching whilst you can. I am certainly not saying there won't be unruly and difficult situations/children in the Sleaford school, however I don't think it's unfair to say behaviour will be more 'agreeable' for a new teacher. For some reason, I feel as though I'm 'cheating' by skipping out what is almost a ritual for new teachers; I feel as though I should go through the hard stuff so many seem to relish. But really, I'm very happy at the prospect of avoiding the stickier side of teaching, which I know stems from selfishness and silliness on my part, but nevertheless... the one thing I would dread is teaching something I love (English) to pupils that often won't give a single crap about the subject at the level I see in my placement. Which again - still applies to many grammar pupils, absolutely. However I feel as though it will allow teachers to give more attention to the enjoyment of a subject than the pure desperate 'trying to get one thing into their heads' styles I've seen necessary in the placement, which is in a low-performing school in a struggling area.

Not sure exactly what I'm trying to say, and either way it's irrelevant because of course I am going to go for this interview full-force, but does anyone have any thoughts on the above? Am I 'cheating' and will it put me at any disadvantage in the long term?

Thanks all, and as I haven't been on the thread for weeks - hope you have all done well in interviews !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    Hi all.

So after failing Apply 1 (unsurprisingly; no classroom experience) I now have an interview offer in what looks to be a really brilliant place. It's in Lincoln, which is ideal for me, and it's a girl's Selective Academy. Considering Apply 1 options rejected me, this seems mad! I am absolutely chuffed that what looks to be a very high-performance secondary school is considering me, but it is a little too good to be true. Obviously, I'm also wracked with nerves for the interview next week.

I'm just wondering what general thoughts are, however, on this. There are so many posts about the 'difficult' classes and schools, and the general understanding seems to be that it's better to experience the difficult side of teaching whilst you can. I am certainly not saying there won't be unruly and difficult situations/children in the Sleaford school, however I don't think it's unfair to say behaviour will be more 'agreeable' for a new teacher. For some reason, I feel as though I'm 'cheating' by skipping out what is almost a ritual for new teachers; I feel as though I should go through the hard stuff so many seem to relish. But really, I'm very happy at the prospect of avoiding the stickier side of teaching, which I know stems from selfishness and silliness on my part, but nevertheless... the one thing I would dread is teaching something I love (English) to pupils that often won't give a single crap about the subject at the level I see in my placement. Which again - still applies to many grammar pupils, absolutely. However I feel as though it will allow teachers to give more attention to the enjoyment of a subject than the pure desperate 'trying to get one thing into their heads' styles I've seen necessary in the placement, which is in a low-performing school in a struggling area.

Not sure exactly what I'm trying to say, and either way it's irrelevant because of course I am going to go for this interview full-force, but does anyone have any thoughts on the above? Am I 'cheating' and will it put me at any disadvantage in the long term?

Thanks all, and as I haven't been on the thread for weeks - hope you have all done well in interviews !
    Congratulations on your interview! I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. You're not 'cheating' in any way by taking a position in what you deem to be a good school. You'll have your whole career to experience tougher environments, if that's what you crave. Plus, just because a school is a reputable grammar school, or 'outstanding' according to Ofsted, doesn't mean that you won't have to deal with difficult behaviour or disengaged students.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellylaugh)
    Congratulations on your interview! I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. You're not 'cheating' in any way by taking a position in what you deem to be a good school. You'll have your whole career to experience tougher environments, if that's what you crave. Plus, just because a school is a reputable grammar school, or 'outstanding' according to Ofsted, doesn't mean that you won't have to deal with difficult behaviour or disengaged students.

Best of luck!
    Thank you. I certainly agree, I just can't help over-thinking and over-feeling about this aspect of it all because it is, in my eyes, great luck. I feel like I'm trying really hard to avoid coming across as 'snobby' if I admit that I would definitely prefer work in a grammar school, as well. I don't want to look as though I'm taking the easy route (although yes, it still won't be easy at all I'm sure). Regardless - thank you. I'll try to stop getting anxious over something that doesn't really matter at this point haha.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone find it difficult to get a reference from your university?

So far, it's been the most difficult part of the PGCE application. I emailed a lecturer asking for a reference. She agreed, so I added her details to UCAS. It's been a week and she still hasn't added a reference, and hasn't replied to my email.

I know they're busy, so I don't want to pester them, however at the same time, I really need to get this sent off ASAP.

My second reference from a previous employer has been completed, so am just waiting on this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    If you have an offer it might be worth contacting them to chat about it so you have a better idea.

With the PGCE they might just have wanted to emphasise that you spend long periods away from uni on placement. Or they might not offer as much support- every PGCE varies too, so its so hard to say! I'd also use you're judgement of how you fell about the atmosphere, support etc of each option.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi kpwxx,

May I ask - how busy are your breaks when on the PGCE?

Should I expect an overload of work during the Easter hols/Christmas hols etc?

Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlankTen)
    Did anyone find it difficult to get a reference from your university?

So far, it's been the most difficult part of the PGCE application. I emailed a lecturer asking for a reference. She agreed, so I added her details to UCAS. It's been a week and she still hasn't added a reference, and hasn't replied to my email.

I know they're busy, so I don't want to pester them, however at the same time, I really need to get this sent off ASAP.

My second reference from a previous employer has been completed, so am just waiting on this one.
    I waited 2 weeks, and lots of people waited a long time too.

It's really frustrating. All you can do is pleasantly remind him or her of how important it is to get your application in.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    I waited 2 weeks, and lots of people waited a long time too.

It's really frustrating. All you can do is pleasantly remind him or her of how important it is to get your application in.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll give it another week then. Thankfully, all of my universities still have vacancies (PGCE Computer Science), and I don't anticipate them all filling up that quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Hi...if my application has been paid and sent off to the universities that I applied to back in December . but then one of the courses closes... does that mean they will not consider my application or will they still do so because it has already been sent to them?

ReputationRep:
    I have been made a conditional offer for secondary MFL in UEL. But when I read the comments on this uni, I am getting kinf of nervous. Is it really bad?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.
    Just got a conditonal offer from UEL for PGCE MFL . But when I read the comments on the uni I get really nervous. Is it that bad?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! To any one who has accepted an offer, did you get any confirmation from the University that you accepted the place for? I accepted a place over a week ago but haven't heard anything and was just wondering if that is normal? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    Thank you. I certainly agree, I just can't help over-thinking and over-feeling about this aspect of it all because it is, in my eyes, great luck. I feel like I'm trying really hard to avoid coming across as 'snobby' if I admit that I would definitely prefer work in a grammar school, as well. I don't want to look as though I'm taking the easy route (although yes, it still won't be easy at all I'm sure). Regardless - thank you. I'll try to stop getting anxious over something that doesn't really matter at this point haha.
    I know what you mean about the behaviour thing but I think a lot more people than you perhaps think would rather be in a school with good behaviour. But some people obviously do get placements in schools with tough behaviour. When I did I was pretty worried about it, but I and others I spoke to put a 'positive' spin on it by saying I'll have a good experience to use. And you can look at the reward/challenge side of it. BUT I feel that's more of a 'find the positives' thing for most people, rather than a 'tough behaviour is better full stop' thing. I feel like I'm not explaining myself very well lol, but what I'm trying to say is there are many benefits to being able to ease in with behaviour management, and being able to focus on the educational side of it and really develop that without panicking about poor behaviour.

(Original post by womanonamission)
    Hi kpwxx,

May I ask - how busy are your breaks when on the PGCE?

Should I expect an overload of work during the Easter hols/Christmas hols etc?

Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My uni organised it so that placements didn't overlap Xmas and Easter, so we had a nice break from that kind of work. most of the work involved was assignments (one due straight after the holidays) and catching up on course paperwork like reflective tasks, etc. You did get to have a proper break but you have to make yourself do nice things and spend time with friends and family . Also, beware, a lot of people seemed to get ill over xmas, as they had caught stuff from placement and been holding it off to power through!

Unis will different in their organisation though. You might have a placement which crosses the holidays but no assignmet due straight after, or if they're really mean you could have both!

I went to UEA btw for reference.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    No problem! I was worrying too but it has been so hectic at work I have had no choice.
    Have you made your decision on what offer to accept yet!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MS90)
    Have you made your decision on what offer to accept yet!?!
    Yeah, I accepted Derby in the end. What have you decided to do re: apply 2??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xnicolexwx)
    I got my letter this morning :-) The conditions are just like you said really, but the school experience has to be done before 30th June. And there are some other forms to complete too.

I heard back from my other uni so I've now accepted Cambridge's offer :-) Good luck with your Reading interview!
    Yeah I got my letter yesterday too Oh I don't have to do any school experience this academic year. I think any school experience this year is in addition to the week in September that everyone has to do as part of the PGCE but before you start at Cambridge - but they didn't mention it in the letter so guess they will send out information about it soon? They talked about it a lot at the interview. Yeah, so many forms to complete!! But do forms have to be sent within 28 days of the letter or 28 days of accepting the offer?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.