Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXII watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samir12)
    He's scored against Liverpool (wasn't hard to score against that defence at the time though :P), City and Monaco.
    Monaco when the tie was already lost. Think of the sitters he missed first leg.

I'm a huge fan of Giroud - but, like I said, the questions will be asked until he turns up in the FA Cup semi-final and wins the game for you, or scores a winner at Wembley, or manages to score the winner against Chelsea.

All I'm saying is the average position of your recent opponents is 14th. Yes, Giroud and Arsenal are on a remarkable run, but things get tougher and THEN we will see how strong this side can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Monaco when the tie was already lost. Think of the sitters he missed first leg.

I'm a huge fan of Giroud - but, like I said, the questions will be asked until he turns up in the FA Cup semi-final and wins the game for you, or scores a winner at Wembley, or manages to score the winner against Chelsea.

All I'm saying is the average position of your recent opponents is 14th. Yes, Giroud and Arsenal are on a remarkable run, but things get tougher and THEN we will see how strong this side can be.
    He assisted the Ramsey winner in the fa cup final too don't forget. This season he has delivered in the big games mostly apart from that first leg vs Monaco so I don't know why you beat him with that stick. More calendar year goals than Ronaldo :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal Premier League Champions 2014-2015. Congrats guys!

ReputationRep:
    The issue you've got is your current run has only been against lower-league opposition. It all goes back into the argument that Giroud's a 'flat track bully'. Your games will get infinitely harder in April and May, all the while alongside the bid to retain the FA Cup.
    Don't be afraid Mackey, stampy Stevie and Skrtel will make it all better for you

This year we've won our 2 games against other top 4 opposition in all comps, don't see how the team can do much more.

Giroud has hit form when it matters, can't wait to see him rip Sakho a new one in two weeks. Only thing more entertaining will be watching Monreal bombing past rwb Sterling on the left wing putting in some filthy crosses to Giroud whilst also having Sterling in his back pocket for 90 minuntes defensively

ReputationRep:
    x
    So the goals he's scored and his huge impact on the team he's had this season means nothing unless he:

"turns up in the FA Cup semi-final and wins the game for you, or scores a winner at Wembley, or manages to score the winner against Chelsea"

It's this kind of stupid unfounded view that makes me think you just trying to subtly WUM here. Giroud has been amazing this season he's scored against Liverpool, Utd, Monaco and City plus he's been important in the FA Cup plus his other contributions as target man is equally important for the team as he's goals. It often goes unnoticed unless you watch the match. Since 12/13 Giroud has scored the most headed goals in the league

This flat track argument is kinda stupid really and whenever it's used against a player it always a poor argument . A goal is a goal Giroud is our striker whenever he scores, whoever against it's a good thing. You can only cite the Monco game as a poor performance really the fact that you're still using it as a stick to beat him with is stupid. Giroud has turned up in the big matches during his time at Arsenal. I'm not sure what kind of "moments of magic" crap stuff you're expecting from him tbh.

When all things are said and done he'll undoubtedly go down as one of Wenger's best signings ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    He's scored against Liverpool (wasn't hard to score against that defence at the time though :P), City and Monaco.
    And a worldy against United first game back after being out for 2 months with a broken leg (although the game had already been won by United tbh)

ReputationRep:
    I actually think Giroud would fit in nice at Barcelona.

as an option to come off the bench and provide something different

ReputationRep:
    If Giroud scored against Monaco in the first leg, they'd of just said " It's only Monaco"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    I actually think Giroud would fit in nice at Barcelona.

as an option to come off the bench and provide something different
    Probably but they don't need him any more. They been playing different football to how they used to play before hand, they're much more willing to play on the counter and soak up pressure for periods compared to before when they were much slower playing the ball and more possession orientated. If anything a guy like Diego Costa or Benzema would be a good person to have, some pace, works the channels, runs in behind with good hold up and link up play. Essentially a stronger Suarez but with less technical ability.

Giroud would have been a good person to have last year though, but he doesn't fit in this current Barcelona system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    If Giroud scored against Monaco in the first leg, they'd of just said " It's only Monaco"
    OMFG YES! Was just about to post this!!!

When it was vs. United and Monaco away "the game was already over"

Against Liverpool "they were **** at defending at the time"

Against City "City didn't have Toure (like that ****ing matters to the striker)" or "city had an off game"

It's absolute *******s, seems like he can only prove himself by scoring against Chelsea to lose his reputation, seeing as if he does it in the FA Cup it's only against **** teams.

Let's be honest, the real reason is that he didn't cost over £25mil.

Costa: 36 appearances, 20 goals, 5 assists, 147 mins per goal (102 in pl)
    Giroud: 27 appearances 17 goals, 4 assists, 100 mins per goal (96 in pl)

Costa failed to score in ALL ELEVEN Cup games this season, 7 of which were in the CL, flat track bully? Plus he's only scored against Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool all of which are **** at defending (by Giroud hater logic).

Here's a thought, maybe the best strikers in the world can score goals against good teams, but ALSO score against bad teams :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Oh look, Liverpool players pulling out of international games left right centre, ****ing joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    That's not true if he scored we would be playing Juve in the QF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Oh look, Liverpool players pulling out of international games left right centre, ****ing joke
    So now you must beat a team that's fast losing their key players (or will they have recovered by then?) Remember, Monaco a favourable CL draw beat you when they had several players out as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    So now you must beat a team that's fast losing their key players (or will they have recovered by then?) Remember, Monaco a favourable CL draw beat you when they had several players out as well
    No, I mean as normal Brenden is clearly telling them to withdraw so they get a 2 week break.

Sturridge with a hip injury, **** right off we all know that's complete *******s.

ReputationRep:
    Lallana did have to go off at halftime. Sturridge is being assessed by the England medics not by Liverpool, so hasn't be completely ruled out.

You guys really need to beat Liverpool for both our sakes. If not the United-Arsenal at OT becomes a match of importance. Worst case, whoever loses misses out on CL football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    Lallana did have to go off at halftime. Sturridge is being assessed by the England medics not by Liverpool, so hasn't be completely ruled out.

You guys really need to beat Liverpool for both our sakes. If not the United-Arsenal at OT becomes a match of importance. Worst case, whoever loses misses out on CL football.
    Lovren has pulled out too apparently, when the **** was he injured?

ReputationRep:
    Lovren has pulled out too apparently, when the **** was he injured?
    Is he really an asset though? That's like us pulling Evans off international duty.

EDIT: has occurred to me they could be preempting Skrtel getting a ban, which he should was intentional, which would mean they could be forced to bring Lovren in.

ReputationRep:
    Is he really an asset though? That's like us pulling Evans off international duty.
    True, at least Stampy G won't be ruled out now he has a nice 3 game lay off after the internationals.

I'm sure we'll see Sterling getting a "muscle injury" and jetting off to the Caribbean to get some "medical treatment" in the next few days. And they wonder why people laugh so hard when they **** up

ReputationRep:

EDIT: has occurred to me they could be preempting Skrtel getting a ban, which he should was intentional, which would mean they could be forced to bring Lovren in.
    We have Toure who can cover though.

ReputationRep:
    To be frank, if Woy is incapable of telling Liverpool where can shove there ideas of getting special treatment, then he isn't a capable national manger. He should be ringing up Brenden telling him to sling his hook, and that his players will be playing a full 90 minutes whether he likes it or not

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.