Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Firmino is pretty bossy.

ReputationRep:
    Was unsure about him at first but my God he's on form isn't he?

He may not have the sheer quality that Coutinho has, but he's always in the right place to get the goals/assists. Really makes up for the fact that Henderson/Coutinho don't score too many.

ReputationRep:
    https://streamable.com/bpb2?t=28.4

get rekt
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Beautiful

ReputationRep:
    Thought Lallana had a fantastic game. Not sure if it's that he's finally settling or Klopp has given him more confidence but we're seeing more and more of those fantastic feet and getting out of tight positions.

(Original post by samir12)
    Firmino is probably our best signing since Sturridge and Coutinho, the lad has goals and assists in him. He is somewhat inconsistent on the pitch and doesn't actually look that great all the time but he has end product which is what matters.
    I don't know.. he's got the numbers for goals/assists which are so important but I'm not sure he's entirely clocked the speed of the PL yet? He drifts out of games and doesn't always contribute much..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wonderful night, wonderful atmosphere.

The only negative is that the tie isn't put to bed. We weren't ruthless enough, but DDG yet again proved he's from another planet with some great saves. He is so ahead of the rest of his team-mates it is farcical. I actually thought Sturridge, Coutinho and Henderson could have all done better with their chances, but I've mentioned before how having a goalkeeper between the sticks like DDG effects the opposition mentally as well as physically.

We saw that last season with Courtois' performance against us in the first leg of the Capital One Cup semi-final at Anfield. Chance after chance went begging, because our players were trying to aim right for the corners or blast it so hard because they knew it would take something special to beat him.

To a man, I thought we were excellent. Lallana's footwork and trickery was terrific, Firmino is 2016's form player, Can continues to grow and display a maturity we haven't seen from him yet, and even Henderson seemed to be playing without the shackles of his injury.

In truth, Sturridge and Coutinho both disappointed me for different reasons. Sakho and Lovren are becoming such a great partnership at the back, though, and Moreno/Clyne offered an assured approach on the flanks.

It was just a great night's work. Man United didn't offer anything whatsoever, and we should be going to Old Trafford with the match out of sight. But oh well.

Just a word on Joe Allen, too. Plenty around me in the Kop were a bit surprised to see him come on, but he completely killed the game off for us. A great substitution from Klopp. He kept the ball well and won plenty of headers. It's a shame he'll likely be leaving in the summer.

Origi, too. A great option off the bench. You don't realise how big and powerful he is until you're there in front of him watching him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Wonderful night, wonderful atmosphere.

The only negative is that the tie isn't put to bed. We weren't ruthless enough, but DDG yet again proved he's from another planet with some great saves. He is so ahead of the rest of his team-mates it is farcical. I actually thought Sturridge, Coutinho and Henderson could have all done better with their chances, but I've mentioned before how having a goalkeeper between the sticks like DDG effects the opposition mentally as well as physically.

We saw that last season with Courtois' performance against us in the first leg of the Capital One Cup semi-final at Anfield. Chance after chance went begging, because our players were trying to aim right for the corners or blast it so hard because they knew it would take something special to beat him.

To a man, I thought we were excellent. Lallana's footwork and trickery was terrific, Firmino is 2016's form player, Can continues to grow and display a maturity we haven't seen from him yet, and even Henderson seemed to be playing without the shackles of his injury.

In truth, Sturridge and Coutinho both disappointed me for different reasons. Sakho and Lovren are becoming such a great partnership at the back, though, and Moreno/Clyne offered an assured approach on the flanks.

It was just a great night's work. Man United didn't offer anything whatsoever, and we should be going to Old Trafford with the match out of sight. But oh well.

Just a word on Joe Allen, too. Plenty around me in the Kop were a bit surprised to see him come on, but he completely killed the game off for us. A great substitution from Klopp. He kept the ball well and won plenty of headers. It's a shame he'll likely be leaving in the summer.

Origi, too. A great option off the bench. You don't realise how big and powerful he is until you're there in front of him watching him.
    It must've been amazing to be there last night!

Exactly. People are raving about how poor United were but we were phenomenal and on the most part we stopped them playing.
    As you said, Sakho and Lovren were flawless and if they can perform like that consistently, with Matip coming in we might suddenly find ourselves with a really good set of CB options. Skrtel will have to be sold though.

Very frustrating that the tie isn't over but 2-0 at home is a really good result. More the fact that United didn't score really because all we need to do is get one goal next week. One goal and the tie is over because surely this United side can't put 4 past us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Oh it was :yep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lúcio)

Exactly. People are raving about how poor United were but we were phenomenal and on the most part we stopped them playing.
    It was sensational. A great, great atmosphere.

I never thought I'd ever see a United side show so little, though. They had a ten minute spell, after the second half kicked off, but Martial was inconsequential and I really felt for the likes of Rashford (who was basically playing right-back) and Mata (who just wasn't given the ball).

Fellaini's deployment was baffling. He offers so little to them. He had that one header which he did well to win but put wide. The rest of the time, he's conceding fouls or being outjumped by Joe Allen.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to see how we continue from here.

We've had 3 huge morale boosting wins - thrashing Man City 3-0, beating Crystal Palace from 1-0 down with 10 men and outplaying Man Utd 2-0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Nice game. 2-0 advantage for us, we get 1st goal next week and they'll need 4 goals. Could easily have been more than 2 goals for us had it not been for De Gea. We'll also have a week's rest.
    Would've been less with better refereeing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Was a pen m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Fellaini would have been off in the first half with better refereeing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Interesting to see how we continue from here.

We've had 3 huge morale boosting wins - thrashing Man City 3-0, beating Crystal Palace from 1-0 down with 10 men and outplaying Man Utd 2-0.
    I think the international break will help us massively. Klopp gets more time on the training pitch with some players, and our hectic schedule is (temporarily) put on hold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Was a pen m8

Debatable, but the offside isn't

(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Fellaini would have been off in the first half with better refereeing.
    What did he do, I missed it
    Losing him would make no difference anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Debatable, but the offside isn't
    The penalty wasn't debatable.

Henderson was offside, but we didn't score because he was offside; we scored because of your players pathetic attempt at a clearance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    The penalty wasn't debatable.

Henderson was offside, but we didn't score because he was offside; we scored because of your players pathetic attempt at a clearance.
    Is that why there's so much debate about it

If the offside was called correctly you wouldn't have scored...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Is that why there's so much debate about it

If the offside was called correctly you wouldn't have scored...
    Well you have to accept the game with all the flaws it currently has. I don't think it really changes the fact that we were way better than you.

I don't think even LVG made excuses about incorrect decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Guess we'll face Rafa in about 6 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Well you have to accept the game with all the flaws it currently has. I don't think it really changes the fact that we were way better than you.

I don't think even LVG made excuses about incorrect decisions.
    Indeed, I'm just pointing out that it was a flawed result

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.