Turn on thread page Beta

The European/World Football Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    That is an absolutely brilliant come back. :rofl:

Pele is an arrogant, bitter, jealous old man though.
    why do you say this?is pele jealous?that stems from what?is he arrogant?
    maradona:a dork on drugs who made ridiculous Argentina in world cup 2010 in south africa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greekguy)
    why do you say this?is pele jealous?that stems from what?is he arrogant?
    maradona:a dork on drugs who made ridiculous Argentina in world cup 2010 in south africa
    He's incredibly bitter that people are even considering Messi or Maradona to be better than him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    He's incredibly bitter that people are even considered Messi or Maradona to be better than him.
    ok maybe its his character.but i cant concur your view.pele has been the only player who had the most invitations from presidents of many many countries and the girs used to send him over a million letters.he cant be so bitter!

ReputationRep:
    wow!the euro draw is very balanced.

GROUPA

POLAND
    GREECE
    RUSSIA
    CHECH REPUBLIC

GROUP B

NETHERLANDS
    DENMARK
    GERMANY
    PORTUGAL

GROUPC

SPAIN
    ITALY
    CROATIA
    IRELAND

GROUPD

UKRAINE
    SWEDEN
    ENGLAND
    FRANCE

After the opening ceremony the 1st match will be poland against greece in warsaw(50.000capacity)

when will be the 1st match in june??

GOOD LUCK TO ALL TEAMS.

ΜΥ predictions:the teams that will proceed to quarter finals:RUSSIA,GREECE,GERMANY,NET HERLANDS,SPAIN,CROATIA,UKRAINE and ENGLAND!!

What's your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greekguy)
    wow!the euro draw is very balanced.

GROUPA

POLAND
    GREECE
    RUSSIA
    CHECH REPUBLIC

GROUP B

NETHERLANDS
    DENMARK
    GERMANY
    PORTUGAL

GROUPC

SPAIN
    ITALY
    CROATIA
    IRELAND

GROUPD

UKRAINE
    SWEDEN
    ENGLAND
    FRANCE

After the opening ceremony the 1st match will be poland against greece in warsaw(50.000capacity)

when will be the 1st match in june??

GOOD LUCK TO ALL TEAMS.

ΜΥ predictions:the teams that will proceed to quarter finals:RUSSIA,GREECE,GERMANY,NET HERLANDS,SPAIN,CROATIA,UKRAINE and ENGLAND!!

WHATS YOUR OPINIONS?
    Don't care. Not a bad group for England.

Milan beat Genoa 2-0 tonight. Ibra and Nocerino.

Temporarily on top by one point, Juve with a game in hand could overtake them back to the top. A draw would leave Milan in front on goal difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    Am i right in thinking you play Maritimo tomorrow in the Taca and then next week in the league? (You’ve got them in the other cup too..yes?) That’s a lot of Maritimo for you!

Euro draw tomorrow too.. hmm, it could end up being a disastrous group!

Also, seen the news about Yannick? Going to Villa? Haha, wonder what he’ll be like in the Prem if it’s true. It’s messed up though, I don’t really understand it. He was too late to sign for Nice but they said he’ll be joining them in Jan as Sporting didn’t want him back, so how come he’s ended up saying he’s going to Villa? Some reports saying for free too.. how's he become free? Quite stupid. But i wonder how he'll get one.
    Yeh we play Maritimo in our next league match. Too bad they beat us last night >_<, but for some reason I wasn't too bothered about it :\

They played well, and scored two ridiculously lucky goals.. not much we could have done, especially since we missed a couple of sitters..

Our Euro group is haaaaaaaaaaaaaard >_< No way can I see us getting through that group.. and we get Denmark again! I HATE them.. they always play well against us..

Yeah, heard about Yannick. He was a free agent I think.. not completely sure how it works out, but he signed a contract with Nice (and therefore no longer belonged to Sporting), and then Nice messed up and didn't want him anymore..

Cant see him doing well in England.. and Aston Villa say its only a trial as well..

ReputationRep:
    What a crazy end to the Inter game...haha wow!

ReputationRep:
    What a crazy end to the Inter game...haha wow!
    Pure madness, just how we like our football!

Good three points for Udinese. Might be able to hold onto that third CL spot (unless Lazio/Napoli pick up their game).

Inter will not be playing CL football next season. That I'm pretty sure of.

Socrates on life-support following septic shock

I hope he's all right. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Socrates has unfortunately passed away.

One of the best midfielders of all-time - hard to believe his career didn't start until he was 24.

ReputationRep:
    Why has this thread unsticked?

ReputationRep:
    Don't think enough people are that interested in it to keep it stickied, most things tend to be posted in the UFT now and are moved if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    Pure madness, just how we like our football!

Good three points for Udinese. Might be able to hold onto that third CL spot (unless Lazio/Napoli pick up their game).

Inter will not be playing CL football next season. That I'm pretty sure of.
    I still wouldn't rule out the chances of them going on a good post-Xmas run of form but with only the Top 3 in the CL, maybe for the first time in what must be 10 years that may be the case. After all, I cannot help but think despite getting the best out of the likes of Wesley Sneijder, the Champ League and 4-in-a-row title winning team of Mourinho was really a case of being in the right place at the right time what with the post-match fixing punishments that disadvantaged their two biggest rivals, otherwise the Nerazzuri would have just carried on their tradition of the last decade and a half of being a squad of nearly-men where quantity was more important than quantity.

(Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Socrates has unfortunately passed away.

One of the best midfielders of all-time - hard to believe his career didn't start until he was 24.
    Just to say, the squad of 1982 and 1986 - not just one of the best never to win the World Cup but also would have wiped the floor with Brazil's most recent mediocre champions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Yeh we play Maritimo in our next league match. Too bad they beat us last night >_<, but for some reason I wasn't too bothered about it :\

They played well, and scored two ridiculously lucky goals.. not much we could have done, especially since we missed a couple of sitters..

Our Euro group is haaaaaaaaaaaaaard >_< No way can I see us getting through that group.. and we get Denmark again! I HATE them.. they always play well against us..

Yeah, heard about Yannick. He was a free agent I think.. not completely sure how it works out, but he signed a contract with Nice (and therefore no longer belonged to Sporting), and then Nice messed up and didn't want him anymore..

Cant see him doing well in England.. and Aston Villa say its only a trial as well..
    I would rather they have the league win than that Taca win.

Our group is horrible. My thoughts exactly when we got Denmark...i'm fed up of them. We always get Denmark. At least we made it to the Euros but i can't see us getting past the groups, oh well.

Wrexham are at home when the Porto CL game is on....typical!

ReputationRep:
    My worst fears were confirmed last night. In our 2-2 draw with Germany at last year's world cup Gareth Barry made Thomas Muller look like the third best player in the world. I can confirm after witnessing first hand that against a pub team he was treading water throughout and looked completely out of his depth. Pathetic.

German league is a joke in general tbf. Ribery, Lahm, and for the few minutes he was on Robben, looked like the only players who could cut it if they moved to a top European league. Allianz Arena is awesome though :sogood: Trying to get food and delicious beverages at half time is not so easy however

ReputationRep:
    I would rather they have the league win than that Taca win.

Our group is horrible. My thoughts exactly when we got Denmark...i'm fed up of them. We always get Denmark. At least we made it to the Euros but i can't see us getting past the groups, oh well.

Wrexham are at home when the Porto CL game is on....typical!
    Hehe.. hopefully we extract some revenge in the league match..

Its probably the most important match of the season so far for Porto... will be interesting to see how they do..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    I still wouldn't rule out the chances of them going on a good post-Xmas run of form but with only the Top 3 in the CL, maybe for the first time in what must be 10 years that may be the case. After all, I cannot help but think despite getting the best out of the likes of Wesley Sneijder, the Champ League and 4-in-a-row title winning team of Mourinho was really a case of being in the right place at the right time what with the post-match fixing punishments that disadvantaged their two biggest rivals, otherwise the Nerazzuri would have just carried on their tradition of the last decade and a half of being a squad of nearly-men where quantity was more important than quantity.
    Yeah, I think its almost irreversable now, back to being the nearly-team the moment Mourinho left the Nerazzuri. Definitely just in the right place at the right time.

The Rossoneri and Bianconeri look too strong this season, the title is between them (and my money is on Milan). Third place is open to a few teams (Udinese and Lazio, but Roma and Napoli have an outside chance).

Just to say, the squad of 1982 and 1986 - not just one of the best never to win the World Cup but also would have wiped the floor with Brazil's most recent mediocre champions.

RIP. Great player, and a political icon.

ReputationRep:
    Thread needs to be stickied again.

ReputationRep:
    Why was it unstickied?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    My worst fears were confirmed last night. In our 2-2 draw with Germany at last year's world cup Gareth Barry made Thomas Muller look like the third best player in the world. I can confirm after witnessing first hand that against a pub team he was treading water throughout and looked completely out of his depth. Pathetic.

German league is a joke in general tbf. Ribery, Lahm, and for the few minutes he was on Robben, looked like the only players who could cut it if they moved to a top European league. Allianz Arena is awesome though :sogood: Trying to get food and delicious beverages at half time is not so easy however
    So watching 2 teams which currently aren´t in form gives you the ability to judge the entire league? And one weak game makes a player useless?

I´m pretty sure all of Bayern's first eleven would make it in a "top" league, some of them even at a top team.

Also recent international results tell a different story about the League, except for Dortmund who kept embarrasing themselves.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.