• TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I feel your pain because my dog was rushed in over the weekend and I've spent all weekend worrying sick about him! He's 12...

I hope that they are okay! They really become part of the family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope they're okay too. Fingers crossed for them both. Travelling back to my hometown (we're currently on holiday in my uni county so I was going to go straight to uni today) to find out what is actually going on and to wait around looking worried.

Trying to find ways to get involved in today's classes without actually being there. I've sent a couple of my resources to a friend so he can at least demonstrate a few things I've magically created.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here applied to be an exam marker? I applied a couple of months ago and got an invitation to mark today - now I'm panicking because it is money that I need but it is whilst I am doing the PGCE so I don't know if I'll be able to balance my PGCE and 350 exams!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here applied to be an exam marker? I applied a couple of months ago and got an invitation to mark today - now I'm panicking because it is money that I need but it is whilst I am doing the PGCE so I don't know if I'll be able to balance my PGCE and 350 exams!
    We were told its worth checking out by our tutor but I've honestly not had time

ReputationRep:
    AQA requires 3 terms' teaching experience. Who are you marking for?

Can I be brutally honest here? (I hope I have been supportive enough in this thread in the past to be allowed one caveat...) It is very worrying to think that our students' exams are being marked by someone not yet in the profession. I don't blame you at all for thinking about it - it must seem an attractive idea. However, I worry a good deal about the exam board's thinking this is an acceptable practice and it is no wonder that there are so many remarks revealing widespread discrepancies. Sorry. It's not meant to be a criticism of you - please don't take it that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    AQA requires 3 terms' teaching experience. Who are you marking for?

Can I be brutally honest here? (I hope I have been supportive enough in this thread in the past to be allowed one caveat...) It is very worrying to think that our students' exams are being marked by someone not yet in the profession. I don't blame you at all for thinking about it - it must seem an attractive idea. However, I worry a good deal about the exam board's thinking this is an acceptable practice and it is no wonder that there are so many remarks revealing widespread discrepancies. Sorry. It's not meant to be a criticism of you - please don't take it that way.
    OCR. No no, don't apologise. My current mentor said the same thing! It was my old mentor who recommended I went into it, and yes it is certainly attractive. By the time I mark I would have had taught and marked OCR exams on my placement so that will help. But yes I am surprised how easy it is to get invited to mark. My boyfriend is marking OCR history and he's not even studying for a pgce!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OCR. No no, don't apologise. My current mentor said the same thing! It was my old mentor who recommended I went into it, and yes it is certainly attractive. By the time I mark I would have had taught and marked OCR exams on my placement so that will help. But yes I am surprised how easy it is to get invited to mark. My boyfriend is marking OCR history and he's not even studying for a pgce!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a mark of how desperate they are and how demoralised teachers are that they cannot recruit them. I am sorry for being so depressed by this. It really isn't a reflection on you, but frankly, why does anyone bother teaching when you don't even have to be a teacher to do this? It's one thing to be knowledgeable about history and quite another to be a judge of how reasonable an answer on a history topic by a 16 year old is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Similar things to a normal interview only without the school specifics- about assessment, send, safeguarding, how you deliver curriculum...

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for answering, and sorry to be a pain but could you give me an example of a question?

ReputationRep:
    It's a mark of how desperate they are and how demoralised teachers are that they cannot recruit them. I am sorry for being so depressed by this. It really isn't a reflection on you, but frankly, why does anyone bother teaching when you don't even have to be a teacher to do this? It's one thing to be knowledgeable about history and quite another to be a judge of how reasonable an answer on a history topic by a 16 year old is.
    Even worse, he's marking A-Level not GCSE. My mentor said they are really desperate because her friend marked for OCR and then got an email saying she had been taken off the list because she had made mistakes, yet a week later she got an invitation to mark because they needed people so bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Even worse, he's marking A-Level not GCSE. My mentor said they are really desperate because her friend marked for OCR and then got an email saying she had been taken off the list because she had made mistakes, yet a week later she got an invitation to mark because they needed people so bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not going to comment on this after this, as it makes me so angry and I need to watch my blood pressure, but when I think of the hoops my colleagues and I jump through to try and ensure the kids are giving themselves the maximum chance to get the grade they need to get to university and see it actually being determined by people without all the training, experience and sheer bloody workload we have, it makes me want to cry. It's a measure of how little the government think of us. Which we knew already.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to comment on this after this, as it makes me so angry and I need to watch my blood pressure, but when I think of the hoops my colleagues and I jump through to try and ensure the kids are giving themselves the maximum chance to get the grade they need to get to university and see it actually being determined by people without all the training, experience and sheer bloody workload we have, it makes me want to cry. It's a measure of how little the government think of us. Which we knew already.
    Sorry for making you angry. Perhaps the moral of the story is not to opt for OCR for exams. I know AQA and Edexcel require a lot more experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for making you angry. Perhaps the moral of the story is not to opt for OCR for exams. I know AQA and Edexcel require a lot more experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not your fault - it's OCR! We don't in fact, do any OCR exams as far as I know at the moment in other subjects, though we have in the past. The thing is that exams are chosen on the basis of the suitability of the syllabus for the students you have, not on the credentials of the examiners. Perhaps that will change.

ReputationRep:
    It's not your fault - it's OCR! We don't in fact, do any OCR exams as far as I know at the moment in other subjects, though we have in the past. The thing is that exams are chosen on the basis of the suitability of the syllabus for the students you have, not on the credentials of the examiners. Perhaps that will change.
    Yes I can understand that. Have you marked exams in the past? I read that since I'm a first time marker I will get a lower allocation, but 370 scripts in two weeks sounds stressful on top of the PGCE.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I can understand that. Have you marked exams in the past? I read that since I'm a first time marker I will get a lower allocation, but 370 scripts in two weeks sounds stressful on top of the PGCE.
    Yes, I have. Did English lang GCSE under the syllabus before the one which is now coming to an end, so quite some time ago. I think you will find it a lot of work. However, you will have finished your PGCE by the time the scripts roll in, won't you?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have. Did English lang GCSE under the syllabus before the one which is now coming to an end, so quite some time ago. I think you will find it a lot of work. However, you will have finished your PGCE by the time the scripts roll in, won't you?
    No, sadly I wouldn't have. I applied under the assumption that it would fall after my PGCE, but it will be around the end of May/start of June when I'd be marking. My PGCE finishes the end of June. I'll have to have a think. I applied to mark three different topics and I'm still waiting for hear about two of them, but I'd rather mark those as I feel better qualified to.

ReputationRep:
    No, sadly I wouldn't have. I applied under the assumption that it would fall after my PGCE, but it will be around the end of May/start of June when I'd be marking. My PGCE finishes the end of June. I'll have to have a think. I applied to mark three different topics and I'm still waiting for hear about two of them, but I'd rather mark those as I feel better qualified to.
    Well, good luck. The AQA has strict regulations about where scripts can be marked - i.e. not in a public place, on public transport and that kind of thing, so it confines you to your own home effectively while you are marking. As we have established earlier, OCR isn't quite so stringent, possibly.

ReputationRep:
    Well, good luck. The AQA has strict regulations about where scripts can be marked - i.e. not in a public place, on public transport and that kind of thing, so it confines you to your own home effectively while you are marking. As we have established earlier, OCR isn't quite so stringent, possibly.
    OCR is the same in that regard. That wouldn't necessarily bother me seeing as it is online anyway. I'll have to have a think about it. Thanks for your advice - as valued as always.

ReputationRep:
    OCR is the same in that regard. That wouldn't necessarily bother me seeing as it is online anyway. I'll have to have a think about it. Thanks for your advice - as valued as always.
    You're very welcome - don't think I have been quite as measured as I usually try to be, I'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Striving92)
    Thanks for answering, and sorry to be a pain but could you give me an example of a question?
    I'm afraid I've sent away my folder with a specific list of questions that could be asked at a theoretical interview (not a specific example of questions that were asked anywhere, just to note for mods!). Do you have an interview lined up? Because I will possibly be back where my folder is this weekend and could post a load there.

Alternatively, have a look here

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6038000

Teaching and learning and ensuring progress are likely to be the bulk of the questions, then there will probably be one on behaviour, one or two on safeguarding and one on career development, on average. Though I'd imagine if anything there will be more with a NQT register one.

They could also ask about the kind of school you would like to work in, the things you are most passionate about, the age range etc though that should be covered mostly in your PS.

I would recommend going through and trying to think of examples you could use from your own practice when answering the questions, rather than necessarily planning out your actual answers. Then if there are any that are harder for you to recall an example for you've already got it ready.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm really pissed off. I've been off for the past two days because I've been ill, which annoyed me enough as it is because my attendance is awful yet I keep getting ill. Then I emailed my mentor asking what I'm teaching tomorrow morning and she gave me a vague response with no real answer. I emailed again and got no response. So I'm going in tomorrow and supposed to be teaching at 9am yet I have no idea what lesson I am supposed to be teaching.

I worry enough as it is without not being able to plan a lesson so now I feel sick about tomorrow's lesson. It's honestly tempting me to stayoff tomorrow as well even though I feel better

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes things have to go wrong in order to go right. We're training to teach, so expect to make loads of mistakes, heck even experienced teachers make mistakes. We just have to learn from them and move forward.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.