Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Really? Read that sentence back to yourself.. Your telling me that arsenal would sign a player that they don't NEED just to snub another team? Be sensible

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have bigger priorities, for sure but to say we don't need him at all is wrong, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Really? Read that sentence back to yourself.. Your telling me that arsenal would sign a player that they don't NEED just to snub another team? Be sensible

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well Cesc is a world class player who loves the club and that we could get back for just over half what any other club bids (providing he wants to leave Barcelona) so yeah, I would be inclined to believe Wenger would be willing to bring him home even if we don't necessarily need him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    Well Cesc is a world class player who loves the club and that we could get back for just over half what any other club bids (providing he wants to leave Barcelona) so yeah, I would be inclined to believe Wenger would be willing to bring him home even if we don't necessarily need him.
    You can't bid half from what I know? You have to match the bid..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    I just thought it was £25 million

ReputationRep:
    Not bidding 25m for him would be crazy. Behind the attackers, Fabregas would be too good. This is a golden chance for Arsenal and we have to take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    First refusal most typically means that as long as Arsenal are willing to match the outlay of Manchester United (and I'd be shocked if Arsenal wouldn't spend £25m on Fabregas) then they CANNOT accept the offer of Man Utd.

If Man Utd bid, say, £50m, and Arsenal said "nah we don't want him for £50m" then Utd would be free to talk to the player. Of course, it isn't 100% there's a first-refusal clause, and sometimes these things can be legally circumvented etc.

If Arsenal have the option to bring Cesc back to the club, for any amount of money, I'd be crushed if we didn't do so. Truly outstanding player, and to let him go to Utd to team up with the other best player we've produced in the last 8 years... well, I'll certainly give up any hope of winning anything for a while if that's the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    I wasn't even thinking about the first refusal tbh, I was talking about the 50% sell on fee. So, if this £35m bid from Man Utd is true, Barcelona only get £17.5 million from it, so in theory we could offer £18.5 million which is a better deal Barca so they are more likely to accept our offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    I wasn't even thinking about the first refusal tbh, I was talking about the 50% sell on fee. So, if this £35m bid from Man Utd is true, Barcelona only get £17.5 million from it, so in theory we could offer £18.5 million which is a better deal Barca so they are more likely to accept our offer.
    I don't think that 50% stuff is true.. Just seems too convenient...bet there would be clauses like if they win the CL or LL but 50%.. Why would UTD send a bid?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interesting.

I'm not sure about this 50% of future sales though. I doubt we have that as well as first refusal.

ReputationRep:
    The 50% sales thing would in effect make any first refusal quite expensive for you. Not only are you paying for the player you are losing the 50% from the opposing bid. Even in JStar's example that bid would be costing you £35m in effect. I don't know the legality of the trick but if you did need to match a £35m bid, you would then lose £17.5m from the 50% sell on as well as the bid making him a £50m+ purchase.

As I just posted in the United thread, unless Moyes is just bidding and hoping, there must be something fueling this. Either Barca or Fab's agent must be murmuring of a move. Surely it can't be Barca with Thiago leaving too. If it was Fab you would think Wenger would be well aware of any discontent. Bizarre.

(Original post by Mr Advice)
    Why you not sitting comfortable with Suarez? This is a player who will bring in 25 premier league goals, guaranteed. Possibly even 30. He's that good. Of course he has his problems but his quality means we should overlook that. No team in the world would say no to him and that should include us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh he's certainly a very good player, I don't doubt that. It's just that in general I don't like the idea of buying from or selling to rival clubs, especially under unpleasant circumstances - which already exist to an extent between Suarez and Liverpool and which would probably heighten quite a bit if we snapped him up now. I'd look at it as being very similar to the van Persie deal, and I lost a great deal of respect for the player in that case; I don't think I could respect Suarez much if something similar happened here, and that wouldn't sit well with me if he's spearheading the team I support. Suarez is clearly a very committed individual on the pitch; there's a lot to admire in that and I don't doubt he'd be able to replicate that for us... but off the pitch, he's gone through the rites and talked about his love for the Liverpool fans and they clearly love him back - I think anything similar that's professed for us (as a rival club) following that will seem very hollow. I would honestly much rather have an inferior player who'll come to the club without that sort of emotional baggage.

(Original post by Idle)
    You need a striker though more. I'm doubting you are going to dish out £30mil each on 2 players.
    I don't think that would be much of an issue, I think that would be a very conventional line of thought for Wenger. :p: In his last season for us, Fabregas was our top scorer, and I think Giroud would be able to adapt well enough into an attacking setup that included him. The lack of strikers isn't as much of a problem as the lack of important goals, and Fabregas is capable of helping address that issue. :yep:

Regarding the 50% thing, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were true. All parties involved in the Fabregas deal knew that Barca would be underpaying for the player, so I don't think significant bonus/buyout clauses to somewhat compensate would have been out of the question. Also, Barcelona were buying at the time with the assumption that Fabregas would be staying for years and years and become one of their most important players, which looked likely enough at the time (and I don't think looks particularly unlikely even now...), so I think these clauses were pushed for by Wenger as a 'just in case' provision and accepted by Barca as a 'it'll probably never happen' compromise.

Of course, that's all speculation. We'll see what happens, although I wouldn't get my hopes up about Fabregas returning to the Premier League at all this season. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    The 50% sales thing would in effect make any first refusal quite expensive for you. Not only are you paying for the player you are losing the 50% from the opposing bid. Even in JStar's example that bid would be costing you £35m in effect. I don't know the legality of the trick but if you did need to match a £35m bid, you would then lose £17.5m from the 50% sell on as well as the bid making him a £50m+ purchase.

As I just posted in the United thread, unless Moyes is just bidding and hoping, there must be something fueling this. Either Barca or Fab's agent must be murmuring of a move. Surely it can't be Barca with Thiago leaving too. If it was Fab you would think Wenger would be well aware of any discontent. Bizarre.
    I know what you're trying to say here but it's not true. In JStar's example it costs us £18.5m. It wouldn't be a £50m purchase, because we're not talking about 'potential' money. Yes, I know what you mean, but in terms of outlay it's not £50m for us. The books would reflect that, as well as our ability to incur that kind of expenditure. I just don't think a 50% sell-on exists (and if it did, it's almost certainly going to be 50% of profit, so in the case of a £35m bid we'd get 50% of the £10m profit Barca are making, making it £5m not £17.5)

I totally agree with you. There must be something more going on. It's not a bid out of the blue. It could well be Man Utd trying to force Arsenal's hand, or it could be them trying to get another player/club to move. Having just sold Thiago, it would seem strange to me if Barca allowed another player in a similar role/position to leave immediately after.

I have to say, I can't think of a deal that Arsenal fans would be more fervently against, other than anything which took Wilshere away from the Emirates.

Bizarre sums it up.

ReputationRep:
    Tancredi palmeri reports that RM will offer higuain and some cash for Suarez...

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by cost)
    Tancredi palmeri reports that RM will offer higuain and some cash for Suarez...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL if that happens. That would be Real punishing us for trying the mess them about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    LOL if that happens. That would be Real punishing us for trying the mess them about.
    Yea but he also says that the problem would be higuain wanting to go to Liverpool.. Arsenal need to act quick Chelsea and city are gunna making moves for arsenal targets

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The 50% sell on clause is pointless. It's not 50% of the fee, eg selling for £40 million and getting half. It's more like 50% from the profit of the initial outlay or in other words the fee they paid for Cesc.

Say he gets sold to United for £40 million we get £2.5 million because Barca made a profit of £5 million if that makes any sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Watching the highlights of the match...our new kit looks beautiful :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it, Cesc. Don't break our hearts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Wenger wanted him to come for a preliminary trial but Ibra told him he didnt do trials. Very likely he'd have taken a contract considering his best offer was Ajax...
    Is that not rejecting arsenal? He rejected to do a trial.

ReputationRep:
    Dont know why everyone is getting excited, Fabregas isnt leaving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.