Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    Guys, how important are interviews really in the scheme of your application? Like if you're not that good on paper but amazing in interview will you get in? Or if you are amazing on paper but pretty rubbish at interview will you get rejected?
    Well you'd need to be good enough on paper to get an interview in the first place. But regarding how important it is, it depends on whether the subject has an entrance test or not. I spoke to the Corpus biochemistry tutor and he said that if you have an entrance test, like in medicine, then the interview isn't really that important as tutors will pretty much already know who they'd like to take so it's just a way of confirming or changing their minds. However, if it doesn't have a test, like in biochemistry, then it's really quite important as it's the only chance they have to see your actual ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agax2468)
    I'm also applying to Merton, and if I remember correctly the email for it said that interview invitations for Merton wouldn't come out before November 23rd, so both of us have six days (at the least) before we know whether we got interviews.
    Oh! I mustn't have read it through properly. Thank you for letting me know
    What subject are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Got a rejection from Christ Church for Law. Is it worth a try to email them and ask them to reconsider me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrfw)
    same! havent heard of any rejections or invitations... think we've still got a while to wait. what college have you applied to??
    I made an open application (as I thought I would let serendipity chance her arm) and was given St Edmund Hall which I am soo happy with! You?

ReputationRep:
    To everyone who's posted that they've received an interview or rejection in the last hour or so, have you received them now or a few hours ago? Just wondering because I always thought that they would only send emails in typical working hours so to speak but maybe not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christina Chan)
    Got a rejection from Christ Church for Law. Is it worth a try to email them and ask them to reconsider me?
    They won't change their mind and I don't advise you to do so. You can ask for feedback as to why you got rejected, but not to be reconsidered.

ReputationRep:
    Yo whAt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lainathiel)
    A* for applying to Jesus College for theology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am all about that irony

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_97)
    Yay! Someone doing the same course as me! I haven't heard either. Which course have you applied to?
    Hi!! "course"? I think you mean college - but I've applied to Christ Church How did you think the MLAT went?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Sorry to hear that. With those grades you will go to a solidly reputable university for sure. 3 A*s is brilliant!
    Thank you! I am looking to see if there's anywhere I can request a reason. Just got the typical 'so many applicants, unfortunately you were not shortlisted' email.

How're you applications coming along?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saga1997)
    Hi!! "course"? I think you mean college - but I've applied to Christ Church How did you think the MLAT went?
    Yeah, I did mean 'college' 😂. I went for St. John's. I think the French part was reasonable but the language aptitude really not! I'm encouraged by the high percentage of MFL applicants who get interviews though. Fingers crossed! What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandlessss)
    Thank you! I am looking to see if there's anywhere I can request a reason. Just got the typical 'so many applicants, unfortunately you were not shortlisted' email.

How're you applications coming along?
    You can request in Jan I believe .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_is_might)
    ughhh it's so frustrating! a couple people from my school have had interview offers from Cambridge already and one person got a rejection from Oxford as well
    yeah quite a few in my school have had Cambridge interviews! and noo not a rejection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    yeah quite a few in my school have had Cambridge interviews! and noo not a rejection
    I have two friends at college who have been offered interviews at Cambridge, one of whom is an English Lit. lad which makes waiting for a reply from Oxford even more of a bittersweet torture!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ard1246)
    Got an interview at Queen's College for Law!
    Got an Interview at Brasenose for Law! International student here (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    80% of people get an interview at Cambridge. Getting an interview at Cambridge can be pretty much seen as a confirmation that your application was complete :P Since some people choose to withdraw.

Getting an interview at Cambridge is not indicative of your chance of acceptance as an interview at Oxford. And usually more important decisions take longer to make, and thus the wait.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received skype interview offers yet or will those be coming out later?

ReputationRep:
    Got an interview for Law at Christ Church!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seasoning)
    Has anyone received skype interview offers yet or will those be coming out later?
    I don't think there's a separate process for skype interviews. If you are international you can either choose to skype or fly over, from what I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeignStudent32)
    80% of people get an interview at Cambridge. Getting an interview at Cambridge can be pretty much seen as a confirmation that your application was complete :P Since some people choose to withdraw.

Getting an interview at Cambridge is not indicative of your chance of acceptance as an interview at Oxford. And usually more important decisions take longer to make, and thus the wait.
    No, we just had better ums. Since we are all better they need to interview more of us.

Banter

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.