Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    So where we disagree is that you think a team deserves to win just because they created more chances, regardless of whether they scored them. It doesn't make any sense, there's a reason goalscorers are the most important and expensive part of a team. You're just dismissing the biggest part of the game

Lol that's really reaching. The goal came in the same attack, 5 seconds after the offside.
    Not a valid point. By the same logic, who's to say we wouldn't have put the freekick over the top and scored ourselves. Who's to say *insert anything*. A failed clearance from a cross isn't equivalent to passing a free kick straight to a striker.
    I think the point is that where a team players better and creates more chances, they are statistically more likely to win. It's just a linear extrapolation of common sense.

The issue with disputing specific events is you can't tell the knock-on effect on the rest of the game.

If we hadn't gotten the penalty, would Liverpool been so up for it? Would we have dominated the game or would Man Utd gotten more into it? Flip side is without that event we might have battered you 5-0 (just because no one can tell what would've happened).

It's like us saying - yea but without DDG, we would've won 3-0/5-0. Maybe/maybe not but we were still the better team by miles.

ReputationRep:
    City with the 0-0 draw vs Norwich. LOL.

Next 4 games:

City - United, Bournemouth, West Brom, Chelsea

West Ham - Chelsea, Palace, Arsenal, Leicester

United - City, Everton, Spurs, Villa

Liverpool - Soton, Spurs, Stoke, Bournemouth

Things could have changed massively in the next month or so. City are needlessly dropping points, and United/West Ham don't have good looking fixtures.
    Outside chance for top 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

Next 4 games:

Things could have changed massively in the next month or so. City are needlessly dropping points, and United/West Ham don't have good looking fixtures.
    Love the optimisim. But not for me. 5th is a possiblity, but even with a dodgy city, I cant see you lot being consistent enough to take advantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Love the optimisim. But not for me. 5th is a possiblity, but even with a dodgy city, I cant see you lot being consistent enough to take advantage
    Yeah I agree; we aren't consistent enough. That being said, we're on good form and have won our last 3 games (only West Ham have matched that).

A long way to go and I doubt we'll make it, but with those fixtures and a little luck, why not dream?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Yeah I agree; we aren't consistent enough. That being said, we're on good form and have won our last 3 games (only West Ham have matched that).

A long way to go and I doubt we'll make it, but with those fixtures and a little luck, why not dream?
    Honestly think you have a better chance at catching spurs then city, as Im still backing city to finish above spurs, given spurs' horrible fixtures.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly think you have a better chance at catching spurs then city, as Im still backing city to finish above spurs, given spurs' horrible fixtures.
    It's too hard to tell right now. After the 4 sets of games listed about, we'll only have 5/6 games left and it'll be much clearer. Our fixtures aren't THAT bad for the next month, but it's more about relying on others to drop points. City vs United is HUGE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    It's too hard to tell right now. After the 4 sets of games listed about, we'll only have 5/6 games left and it'll be much clearer. Our fixtures aren't THAT bad for the next month, but it's more about relying on others to drop points. City vs United is HUGE.
    your fixtures seem really nice to me, only 2 big games left, and they are both at home.. Thing is, even if you win all your remaining games.. your still relying on spurs doing something like: loose to chelsea, stoke, liverpool, united, newcastle(final day relegation battle), and draw with swansea..

None of those results are that unlikely, but the combination of all of them, would be a pretty unprecidented melt-down.

Who knows, maybe city will impload once the title is truely gone, they are out of the CL, and have nothing to play for, with a manager leaving at the end of the season, and somehow throw away CL football by accident.

ReputationRep:
    if it ain't city then it would surely be arsenal?

ReputationRep:
    your fixtures seem really nice to me, only 2 big games left, and they are both at home.. Thing is, even if you win all your remaining games.. your still relying on spurs doing something like: loose to chelsea, stoke, liverpool, united, newcastle(final day relegation battle), and draw with swansea..

None of those results are that unlikely, but the combination of all of them, would be a pretty unprecidented melt-down.

Who knows, maybe city will impload once the title is truely gone, they are out of the CL, and have nothing to play for, with a manager leaving at the end of the season, and somehow throw away CL football by accident.
    I can't see us catching Spurs unless they truly implode because we're 11 points behind them (with a game in hand).
    We're 6 and 7 points behind City and Arsenal respectively, but again that gap would drop if we won our game in hand.

I can't see us getting top 4 because even if Arsenal/City messed up, there's still West Ham, United and even Chelsea to consider. As long as we get EL I'm happy, although unless both FA Cup finalists are top 6, we're gonna need to finish ahead of United/West Ham to get Europe next season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

Next 4 games:

I think we just need to keep winning a few games on the bounce. We're going to have a game or two in hand so always going to be more pressure on us to catch up. I'm more keen to see another good performance against Man Utd and then if we progress, see who our opponents for the QF would be.

Saying that - a Man City/Utd draw next weekend would be perfect for us..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I think we just need to keep winning a few games on the bounce. We're going to have a game or two in hand so always going to be more pressure on us to catch up. I'm more keen to see another good performance against Man Utd and then if we progress, see who our opponents for the QF would be.

Saying that - a Man City/Utd draw next weekend would be perfect for us..
    I think morale wise, a win at Old Trafford would be amazing for us.

Regarding pressure though, do we really have that much? Yeah we'll be slightly behind on games played but the season has been so up and down that expectation has (on the large part) gone out of the window. I think we'll see our games in hand as opportunities rather than pressure points.

Having bad thoughts about the 2nd leg though. It would be too typical for us to bottle it and them to pull out a classic United performance to win against all odds and knock us out. That would be too much. Please don't do it Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    I think morale wise, a win at Old Trafford would be amazing for us.

Regarding pressure though, do we really have that much? Yeah we'll be slightly behind on games played but the season has been so up and down that expectation has (on the large part) gone out of the window. I think we'll see our games in hand as opportunities rather than pressure points.

Having bad thoughts about the 2nd leg though. It would be too typical for us to bottle it and them to pull out a classic United performance to win against all odds and knock us out. That would be too much. Please don't do it Liverpool.
    I think as soon as the players start thinking there's a genuine chance of getting top 4, they will cave under the pressure

It's pretty obvious that Man Utd will need to attack from minute one if they want to get the minimum 2 goals they need to force it to extra time. Main thing will be not to concede a soft goal early on. I just think over 90/120 minutes, we can score 1 goal before Man Utd can score the 3 they would need to knock us out.

With most of our players back, our main strength is playing on the counter rather than breaking sides down. Even Klopp's reputation is somewhat based on the press/counter. We'll play 3 in the midfield to counter them getting too much control of the game.

Let's see how Man Utd do today but we should be fresher for the game on Thursday and we can use our 2 or 3 subs to change our attacking players (Origi and Lallana on) and have them press hard for 90 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457896086.430974.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  97.7 KB

Don't like the man but he's spot on regarding Sakho. He makes no sense as a player but somehow picks out the perfect pass or times the tackle excellently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457896086.430974.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  97.7 KB

Don't like the man but he's spot on regarding Sakho. He makes no sense as a player but somehow picks out the perfect pass or times the tackle excellently.
    Was funny watching Man Utd use the tactic of pressing everyone but Sakho which failed miserably. Best passer of the ball in our defence.

ReputationRep:
    Was funny watching Man Utd use the tactic of pressing everyone but Sakho which failed miserably. Best passer of the ball in our defence.
    It works to our advantage to be honest.
    There's this misconception that Sakho is a bad passer and can't do anything with the ball.

He "looks" clumsy but he always makes the pass and does his job. If they don't wanna press him, good luck. He'll just bypass their midfield...

ReputationRep:
    http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/

Article on last year's finances. Hard to work out if we're better off or not.. seems like we're stuck in that gap where we make way more than everyone else other than the 4 clubs above us and we can't bridge the gap to them.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre will leave his position at the end of May next year when his contract expires.

The 52-year-old joined the club in 2007 as commercial director and was added to the club's board of directors in 2009.

In 2011 he became managing director and was made chief executive in 2013.

"We asked him on several occasions to take some time to reconsider his decision, but have been unable to convince him to remain as CEO beyond May 2017," a Liverpool statement said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35807769

!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Goodbye, Ian. Make sure to come back on your Harley at some stage, won't you?

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre will leave his position at the end of May next year when his contract expires.

The 52-year-old joined the club in 2007 as commercial director and was added to the club's board of directors in 2009.

In 2011 he became managing director and was made chief executive in 2013.

"We asked him on several occasions to take some time to reconsider his decision, but have been unable to convince him to remain as CEO beyond May 2017," a Liverpool statement said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35807769

!!
    Thank God!!!

ReputationRep:
    What do people think our main priorities are this summer?
    I was speaking to my brother (who doesn't support a PL team so is relatively unbiased) and he thinks we need an entirely new core - GK, CB, CDM and ST.

Personally I think GK for sure - Butland or ter Stegen if we're lucky and want to pay around 20m, although I'd be happy with the likes of Leno or Horn for around 10m.

I'm actually content with our CBs, especially with Matip coming in. He's yet to be proven but Sakho and Lovren are looking really good and we still have Skrtel anyway if something happens. I'd rather us sell Moreno and use an additional 10m to buy another LB - Adriano from Barca perhaps?

I think we'd benefit more from a top quality CM than a CDM tbh. Somebody who can link up midfield and attack but do it with quality - we have players like Henderson and Milner who will run all day but I don't think either have the quality to be the main link for us.

The main thing I reckon we need is a ST. I think we need to look at who's available and spend the majority of our budget on one. Say we have 100m to spend - 50m on a ST, 30m on a CM, 10m on a LB and 10m on a GK, and that isn't even factoring in the highly likely sales of Balotelli and Benteke. We definitely have the money this summer to build an entirely new core and provided Klopp has the pull to attract the players, next season could be a really interesting one for us.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.