Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Has anyone done any teaching with small groups? I'm due to teach two year 11 girls on Monday, working up to five on Tuesday but I'm really freaking out about it. It is supposed to be for revision but I'm finding it harder to do lesson plans and stuff because it doesn't seem like things will take as long and I think it will be pretty awkward.

I'm also really nervous about my subject knowledge because it's the first time I'm teaching gcse and I have read the spec and exam structure, etc, but am still pretty unsure.

Any advice for revision with small groups?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did some interventions with a group of two and worked with small groups lots in primary and early years. I love it! You can be so much more personalised and actually meet the needs of the individual.

I would start off by doing some sort of assessment. Not necessarily getting them to do a test but asking them about their confidence in different areas, getting them to explain a few concepts or answer a couple of questions. Just so you can decide which the key areas you need to cover. Although if you only have two sessions altogether maybe you won't have time for this in which case look at their data if you can to decide.

Don't worry about running out of things to do, just have a list of activities in front of you for different concepts and if they seem secure on one you can move on to the next, even asking them which they'd like to cover. Give them plenty of opportunities to ask questions, put some exam style questions in there to check they got it but I'd keep the main activity as fun as possible... A little game to refresh their memories or something. Get them to explain things to others.

It's fun, so don't panic. It's amazing when you see the progress they've made laid out so clearly

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm really upset to the point of tears at the moment. I am in absolute agony with tooth ache that has built up over the weekend. I will ring the dentist ASAP tomorrow morning, but I am just feeling so down about it because I was absent from school last Monday and Tuesday, so I am very conscious of my absence! I have only been on placement for three weeks. I will go into tomorrow, even though the pain is so bad I'm crying, but I will have to leave if I get an appointment because I cannot wait until a time that is after school.

I hope they understand...
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I did some interventions with a group of two and worked with small groups lots in primary and early years. I love it! You can be so much more personalised and actually meet the needs of the individual.

I would start off by doing some sort of assessment. Not necessarily getting them to do a test but asking them about their confidence in different areas, getting them to explain a few concepts or answer a couple of questions. Just so you can decide which the key areas you need to cover. Although if you only have two sessions altogether maybe you won't have time for this in which case look at their data if you can to decide.

Don't worry about running out of things to do, just have a list of activities in front of you for different concepts and if they seem secure on one you can move on to the next, even asking them which they'd like to cover. Give them plenty of opportunities to ask questions, put some exam style questions in there to check they got it but I'd keep the main activity as fun as possible... A little game to refresh their memories or something. Get them to explain things to others.

It's fun, so don't panic. It's amazing when you see the progress they've made laid out so clearly

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for much for this. As usual - brilliant advice!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done any teaching with small groups? I'm due to teach two year 11 girls on Monday, working up to five on Tuesday but I'm really freaking out about it. It is supposed to be for revision but I'm finding it harder to do lesson plans and stuff because it doesn't seem like things will take as long and I think it will be pretty awkward.

I'm also really nervous about my subject knowledge because it's the first time I'm teaching gcse and I have read the spec and exam structure, etc, but am still pretty unsure.

Any advice for revision with small groups?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Personally, I wouldn't treat it as a lesson. Instead, I'd run it as a pupil-led session. Gather a bunch of past papers and ask them what they're finding most difficult. If it's an essay question, plan it as a 'class' through lots of questioning, then get them to write an answer independently and peer assess. If it's calculation-based, go through an example on the board (once again with lots of questioning) and then give them something that requires similar work and set them that. If they're particularly weak, let them work in a pair/talk it through with you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    Congratulations - I think most of us would agree that getting essays out of the way is a major source of enjoyment on the PGCE.

I tend to find that younger classes respond really well to praise and verbal warnings, whilst that has little effect on KS4 and some year 9 classes. With them, it's more about having very clear consequences and warning about them ("if I have to speak to you again we'll be having a discussion after school" for example). All the cliches about consistency are what really matters. Changing tones of voice really works for me, too. For particularly unruly classes I find it works to make an example of the fireproof to step out of line, for example if working with laptops make it clear that they must be on task or the activity stops and the first person you catch give them the most mind-numbing work possible and keep them behind at the end of the lesson. I also find that it's much better to speak with older pupils one on one after the lesson has ended: less chance of conflict and more chance of actually getting through to them.

Once they're in the sixth form, I feel they need to take responsibility for their learning. So one again it's about making the consequences clear and then following through when the line is crossed. Here, though, I find that removing them from the room for a few minutes and having a one on one discussion pointing out where they went wrong trend to do the trick. If not, make it clear that if they don't want to be there they don't have to, and if they disrupt others then you won't want them there anyway.
    Thanks for this. It's really helpful. I'm teaching a group of year 7s for the first time tomorrow and I am absolutely terrified. It's with an assistant head teacher that I really get on with and his teaching is amazing and it's just going to be the absolute worst if it goes wrong

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else feel so strange when they consider how far they've come since September? My first placement was hell because it took me 3/4 hours to plan and resource one lesson... I've just finished my planning/resourcing for my 5 lessons tomorrow and it took me just over two hours.

It's really small things like this which make me so motivated to finish this course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Does anyone else feel so strange when they consider how far they've come since September? My first placement was hell because it took me 3/4 hours to plan and resource one lesson... I've just finished my planning/resourcing for my 5 lessons tomorrow and it took me just over two hours.

It's really small things like this which make me so motivated to finish this course.
    You'll know you're a real teacher when you make it up as you turn the door handle into the classroom...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I've just done three lessons plus my cover plans for 3 more lessons in just over 3 hours. Definitely feel like I'm getting there now.

I just need to find a lovely plenary for my year 7s tomorrow and I'm all done

ReputationRep:
    I still really struggle to get my lesson plans done quickly, must take me almost an hour for some of my y9 theory lessons. Once ive made nice starters and plenaries plus the resources for the main part of the lesson im losing the will to live!!:confused:

ReputationRep:

I feel like I'm getting worse! My last plavement ended at the beginning of February at a real low point. I'm dying to get 'back on the horse' so to speak because I'm worried about failing my final placement. But that's not til after Easter...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    I still really struggle to get my lesson plans done quickly, must take me almost an hour for some of my y9 theory lessons. Once ive made nice starters and plenaries plus the resources for the main part of the lesson im losing the will to live!!:confused:
    I find it useful to plan the lesson as normal, but then make the resources and powerpoints in front of the television at home. Provided you plan rigorously, the production of everything else is just time consuming, and so it seems much less like work if you're doing it in front of the television.

ReputationRep:
    I find it useful to plan the lesson as normal, but then make the resources and powerpoints in front of the television at home. Provided you plan rigorously, the production of everything else is just time consuming, and so it seems much less like work if you're doing it in front of the television.
    This is a good idea. Might make it seem like less of a chore!

ReputationRep:
    Would agree but my school expects lesson plan and all resources/powerpoints and seating plan changes to be submitted 48 hours before the day its taught so i end up having to do everything at the same point.

ReputationRep:

'Almost an hour' is pretty quick. I'd be happy if I could get mine done in that time. Mine tend to take 2-3 hours or so. I've got marginally quicker since my first placement, but I still take ages thinking of ideas for activities.

ReputationRep:
    Would agree but my school expects lesson plan and all resources/powerpoints and seating plan changes to be submitted 48 hours before the day its taught so i end up having to do everything at the same point.
    I had the same thing as you on most of your placements. I used to pretend that Monday night was, for example, Wednesday night so I had that same routine which 'tory88' mentioned but to give in everything 48hrs in advance
    I would adjust the changes needed from previous lesson plans at the same time.

I would then wake up an hoir earlier in the morning to read through thay day's lesson plans to make sure I knew what I was doing as it would feel like forever and a day since I had planned it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    I had the same thing as you on most of your placements. I used to pretend that Monday night was, for example, Wednesday night so I had that same routine which 'tory88' mentioned but to give in everything 48hrs in advance
    I would adjust the changes needed from previous lesson plans at the same time.

I would then wake up an hoir earlier in the morning to read through thay day's lesson plans to make sure I knew what I was doing as it would feel like forever and a day since I had planned it.
    I think the 48 hours does make it worse as it is so long since i planned it. I always go over it the night before to make any last minute changes as ive been told i can as long as i email them the updated version. Only 7.5 weeks to go, just want to get this over with to be honest!!

ReputationRep:
    For those who don't have to plan 48 hrs in advance - do you frequently do it the night before? I couldn't do that! I don't have to hand mine in in advance but I generally have things planned a week in advance. All of next week's lessons are planned for me, and then next week I'll be planning the week after. I can't leave things to last minute, it makes me anxious!

ReputationRep:
    For those who don't have to plan 48 hrs in advance - do you frequently do it the night before? I couldn't do that! I don't have to hand mine in in advance but I generally have things planned a week in advance. All of next week's lessons are planned for me, and then next week I'll be planning the week after. I can't leave things to last minute, it makes me anxious!
    I've been planning in the 20 minutes or so in the morning before...

ReputationRep:
    I've been planning in the 20 minutes or so in the morning before...
    20 minutes?! I'd have nowhere near enough time!

ReputationRep:
    I think the 48 hours does make it worse as it is so long since i planned it. I always go over it the night before to make any last minute changes as ive been told i can as long as i email them the updated version. Only 7.5 weeks to go, just want to get this over with to be honest!!
    I think that's a really long amount of time... Especially if you're with older pupils in a core subject. You could have two lessons before that one and have to completely change everything, which isn't a good use of anyone's time. Sure, plan bits out, have little activities etc ready. But to submit a full detailed lesson plan just to change it anyway... Also I bet the plans are all read anyway as I can't see any senior management having the time to. AND seating plans? What if you want to change something in the lesson?! I guess I find it hard to comprehend as we don't have seats in early years and even if I went up to KS1/2 I wouldn't have them!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think my having to give mine in 48hrs in advance got me in good habits. My next placements where I didn't need to do this I used to do them a day before. I always worried that I would run out of time or need something from school to complete it.
    However I never usually did it much earlier than that for 2 reasons: 1) It wouldn't be fresh in my memory and I was worried about forgetting it all and 2) Like someone else mentioned, some classes had lessons a day or 2 before which affected what I planned for that next lesson anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.