Oxford Applicants for 2012 Entry Watch

This discussion is closed.
Legendary-A-Sonic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Expendable)
Any other Ox English applicants here? Going to go and speak to Head o English tomorrow about booking the ELAT, preparation [ie her marking my past paper :P] for it etc, have most people done their personal statements yet? I'm still drafting mine
Ox English applicant here. Just got our Head of Examinations to book me in for the ELAT - haven't even looked at the past paper yet... :rolleyes:

My PS is literally fragments of sentences and paragraphs - it has a long way to go.

Also, have you got any idea about what you're going to send in as an example essay? Not sure whether I should submit AS coursework or an essay written for A2 (which we haven't properly started yet... )
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Legendary-A-Sonic)
I think ChCh is the only place big enough to do that anyway :rolleyes:
No, quite a few colleges offer accommodation to students for every year. ChCh's one and Hertford's another. Hertford's accommodation isn't all on-site (some of it's about a 10 minute cycle ride from college) but it's still available and stops you from having to deal with landlords.
Expendable
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ox English applicant here. Just got our Head of Examinations to book me in for the ELAT - haven't even looked at the past paper yet... :rolleyes:

My PS is literally fragments of sentences and paragraphs - it has a long way to go.

Also, have you got any idea about what you're going to send in as an example essay? Not sure whether I should submit AS coursework or an essay written for A2 (which we haven't properly started yet... )
English Applicant...at Hertford! Assuming we both make the interviews, we'll probably see each other :P

Same about the PS really, I'm just panicking because there's not that long to go now promising myself that a decent draft will be done by Wed to give to the Head of English to have a look at/post in the PS forum on here, then there should be time for another draft or two!

I think I'll send in AS coursework, probably. I don't think they're my best piece of work but they scored pretty highly (57/60 total). If I have enough time I might just do another essay on a book in my PS so it might give me something to talk about at interview (again, strong assumptions that I'll get one :P).

What did you get at AS/take?
such_a_lady
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by doloroushazy)
I feel guilty because after visiting Edinburgh I'm actually slightly going off Oxford... hmmmmm

Haha exactly the same with me! I love them equally, and naturally if I got an offer from both I'd choose Oxford, but Edinburgh is definitely my next choice. I don't even like thinking of it as a second choice really.
What's it like?
punctuation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rewriting my personal statement... I really want to put "Basically, I lead a psychology appreciation life." BECAUSE IT IS SO TRUE. xD
such_a_lady
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by punctuation)
Rewriting my personal statement... I really want to put "Basically, I lead a psychology appreciation life." BECAUSE IT IS SO TRUE. xD
Hahaha I wanted to put "I simply prefer speaking German to English" BECAUSE IT IS SO TRUE. Guess what, I just thought "Does anyone know, what to my copy of Hamlet happened has?". OH DEAR ME.
punctuation
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by such_a_lady)
Hahaha I wanted to put "I simply prefer speaking German to English" BECAUSE IT IS SO TRUE. Guess what, I just thought "Does anyone know, what to my copy of Hamlet happened has?". OH DEAR ME.
:lol: oh, german.

I hate reading Kafka's The Metamorphosis in english because it's meant to be read in that awesome, german way - and the translation doesn't work as nicely if you just put, "He to the office walked." I mean...
JChoudhry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Which college has the lowest number of applicants for medicine?
punctuation
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JChoudhry)
Which college has the lowest number of applicants for medicine?
Please. Don't.

do we have to go over this every few pages?

number of applicants for your course should NOT be a factor to consider whilst deciding upon a college

there are many other, nice reasons why you would pick a certain college. for example...

- location relative to the center of Oxford
- extracurricular activities
- size
- tutors
- architecture
and the list goes on...
JChoudhry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Please. Don't.

do we have to go over this every few pages?

number of applicants for your course should NOT be a factor to consider whilst deciding upon a college

there are many other, nice reasons why you would pick a certain college. for example...

- location relative to the center of Oxford
- extracurricular activities
- size
- tutors
- architecture
and the list goes on...
I know, I was just curious :p: Otherwise I'm actually applying to Brasenose College. :laugh: But any idea on the stats? I'm really curious because there seem to be very little medical places at Oxford.
punctuation
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know, I was just curious :p: Otherwise I'm actually applying to Brasenose College. :laugh: But any idea on the stats? I'm really curious because there seem to be very little medical places at Oxford.
can be found somewhere here.
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by such_a_lady)
After a year in Germany you're probably going to have to relearn English at this rate

Julie's getting angry :rofl:
punctuation
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by manic_fuzz)
Julie's getting angry :rofl:
I'm just getting frustrated :P
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm just getting frustrated :P
Just think of interesting psychometric tests to calm you down

I should really be sleeping now, just stayed up to watch a half-French film :rolleyes: i'm going to be tired tomorrow...
punctuation
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by manic_fuzz)
Just think of interesting psychometric tests to calm you down

I should really be sleeping now, just stayed up to watch a half-French film :rolleyes: i'm going to be tired tomorrow...
yes it's very late for you! SLEEP! SLEEP!
Brand New Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol
Brand New Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
9 till 5500 posts
JChoudhry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a gut feeling I won't even get an interview for Oxford :emo:
punctuation
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Brand New Eyes)
9 till 5500 posts
YAY! woo woo!
Brand New Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a gut feeling I won't even get an interview for Oxford :emo:
GTFO then *rolls eyes*

If you're going to think like that, why even bother applying
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.54%
No (392)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise