Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Gazidis probably eyeing up the opportunity to sell tacky solidarity t shirts in the armoury when he does something stupid as a side benefit to buying Suarez

ReputationRep:
    You lot do realise that even if we buy suarez he will still be banned for 6 games right???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    Apparently Roma have upped their bid for Gervinho to 8m euro, according to some reports in Italy.
    Great news....gerv is garbage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Suarez would take up 60% of our transfer budget, rather not unless we still have enough to buy a DM and a CAM.

if the money from our sales are added to the budget then go for it because it will mean we get 80mill to spend after selling mannone and the black robben
    Yeah, let's spend the £70m on loads of average players rather than spend some of it on one of the best strikers in the world with PL experience :rolleyes:

(Original post by jibberish)
    Never have I questioned Suarez's footballing ability. Its no coincidence that he is also being linked with Madrid cause he's a quality player. I just don't want to be sat watching a match where I'm constantly in fear of every action that Suarez commits on the field. He's far too unpredictable and if we are willing to spend 30m on someone then we could perhaps find someone with slightly less ability than him but with far less baggage. He was instructed by the management at Liverpool to shake Evra's hand but he completely ignored the advice and that shows his character. Arrogance is one thing (players like Ronaldo and Ibra show abundance of that) but disobedience is another. Where reputation of Liverpool is concerned, I think thats a matter of opinion. No club or manager should be put in a position where they have to defend their player when they are in the wrong the way Suarez was with his racist comments. What I'm trying to say is that what Dalglish said after the incident was irrelevant but the fact that he was put in the position to make any comment on the incident on behalf of one of his players, shows the magnitude of harm a single player can make to a club.
    I respect where you're coming from but I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Maybe five years ago when there wasn't the pressure of nearly a decade without a trophy and the worry of Wenger leaving soon, but my view is that Suarez would definitely be worth it. Van Persie was quite disobedient before Arsenal and even with his discipline during his Arsenal years and everyone knows how good he is. I just think that given Suarez is "top, top quality" and will obviously force a move away from LFC as the summer progresses, we'll be able to get him for a cheaper price. We have been very patient in building up funds despite everything that's gone on, and I feel now is our time, we deserve a player of his calibre. Higuain is obviously a great player, no-one can doubt that - but Suarez is on another level. The gap is growing every season between the top 3 title challengers and 4th/5th place who never get close, a club with our finances, stability, history and sheer size deserve to be challengers. I'm sick of hearing that we can challenge in 2/3 years when a player like this is potentially available now who would put us on another level. Even if we do spend £40m on him, that still leaves £30m (if the often quoted figure of 70m is to be believed) on a 4th choice defender and a quality DM, and that's even before selling Gervinho for around £10m which looks likely.

I appreciate where you're coming from, I guess I just see it as a case of our time is now to get back up there if we want to buy players like him.

(Original post by glousck)
    It's pathetic that people are saying they don't want Suarez because he's a ****. As far as I know - maybe I'm wrong - football isn't a who-has-the-bestpersonality competition, nor is it a beauty contest. Clearly people read too much of the football media like it's somewhat of a TV drama. Couldn't care less whether Suarez isn't a nice person, he's one of the best strikers, arguably the best in the league. His problems are on the pitch, it's been said by a lot of Liverpool players that he gets on well with them in training and that he's always hard-working and committed. If he had problems off the pitch then that's a different matter and I doubt Wenger would want him. But that's not the case at all, he is very motivated regardless of who he is managed by.

We could always sign another nice, pretty guy like Giroud. Let's just ignore the fact that Suarez would improve our squad tremendously because he's a bit of a ****.

Jesus christ.
    Well, that's not my reason for being uncomfortable with the notion of him joining - I don't see Suarez as a monstrous human being and I do struggle to see why some people detest him to that extent - but I don't see why it shouldn't be a reason for some people. Supporting a team, as I see it, is a primarily emotional experience, and if people feel a certain way about the personality of a player, why wouldn't they be concerned about it affecting their experience of supporting a team? Of course, for some people it may not matter at all, and I can completely understand that line of thinking as well.

Regarding Suarez, I said I'm uncomfortable but I'm not at the point where I'm completely against it yet. I suppose he's only been at Liverpool for two seasons, there's always seemed to be a bit of an air of his departure, so on and so on. In that regard I suppose it isn't quite like the Campbell or van Persie sagas. But I don't know. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Yeah, let's spend the £70m on loads of average players rather than spend some of it on one of the best strikers in the world with PL experience :rolleyes:

I never said buy average player just dont spend so much on one player that you can't improve the other 2 areas. By all means go out and buy suarez but dont buy him if your not going to buy anyone (even if they're crap) for the other areas.

ReputationRep:
    Swear down that someone literally called Toni Kroos out as 'transfer listed' reticently. Not even joking, this guy needs to be banned 'cause this is the same clueless **** that calls for Jack's head every now and again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Its that way for every sport. I don't really give a damn about how my teams players are as long as they don't go around murdering people.
    Did someone say Aaron Hernandez? :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zubby77)
    Well played :yy:

(Original post by Zürich)
    Swear down that someone literally called Toni Kroos out as 'transfer listed' reticently. Not even joking, this guy needs to be banned 'cause this is the same clueless **** that calls for Jack's head every now and again
    In this thread? If I remember correctly, someone just said that Kroos might be available because Thiago had joined. Which is very misinformed, maybe, but not really outright trolling I don't think. :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you offered Luis Suarez an English passport, he would consider accepting it and then taunt Uruguay if he scored for England. He's simply a world class player who is simply relentless. Luis Suarez, I'm begging like a dog, please, Arsenal need to be more Luis Suarez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arsenal and a vicious set of teeth have been kept apart in the stars. Lets get nasty. Ying and yang?

ReputationRep:
    It's very hopeful thinking but imagine our five main attacking players being Wilshere, Fabregas, Cazorla, Walcott and Suarez. And with a top quality DM, we'll take some beating. With so much instability elsewhere, this is as good a chance we'll have to do some damage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    In this thread? If I remember correctly, someone just said that Kroos might be available because Thiago had joined. Which is very misinformed, maybe, but not really outright trolling I don't think. :p:
    Fair enough, I've overreacted. But if we ever endnot signing Suarez, its time to put a 2nd mortgage on the Emirates to sign Kroos :coma:

Fair enough, I've overreacted. But if we ever endnot signing Suarez, its time to put a 2nd mortgage on the Emirates to sign Kroos :coma:
    I remember us being linked with him before the 2010 World Cup, just before he properly broke through. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I remember us being linked with him before the 2010 World Cup, just before he properly broke through. :emo:
    if only...

The Dutchman in me is screaming, but fair play to the Germans for becoming a BMW production line of no.10s

Never thought I'd see the day when the Germans would be technically superior to the Dutch....

ReputationRep:
    If you offered Luis Suarez an English passport, he would consider accepting it and then taunt Uruguay if he scored for England. He's simply a world class player who is simply relentless. Luis Suarez, I'm begging like a dog, please, Arsenal need to be more Luis Suarez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arsenal and a vicious set of teeth have been kept apart in the stars. Lets get nasty. Ying and yang?
    someone needs to relax.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we won't be making a move for Fabregas. Pity really.

Apparently we are matching Tottenham's 100k a week offer for Gareth Barry.

I think come the beginning of the new season we still will be looking for players. As smart as Wenger thinks he is, this has been one thing he's never understood.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zubby77)
    Good call :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I hope you get Suarez. :rofl: For those not wanting him because of his character, fair enough, but in that respect I actually like him better than Rooney. At least the outrage about Suarez makes him kind of funny; Rooney is just a moron with no charisma whatsoever. Both would probably secretly feel "too good for Arsenal", but at least Suarez is going up, while Rooney would be going down. Yeah and I know nobody agrees, so don't bother. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I hope you get Suarez. :rofl: For those not wanting him because of his character, fair enough, but in that respect I actually like him better than Rooney. At least the outrage about Suarez makes him kind of funny; Rooney is just a moron with no charisma whatsoever. Both would probably secretly feel "too good for Arsenal", but at least Suarez is going up, while Rooney would be going down. Yeah and I know nobody agrees, so don't bother. :rofl:
    At the end of the day goals is all that matter. If he starts scoring goals for Arsenal which leads to trophies Arsenal fans won't care that he's a racist scumbag cheater. Its only now that Liverpool fans really criticise him for all his bad actions after they realised he's off. Suarez made Liverpool FC look like proper clowns

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.