Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Can't tell if serious?

Personally while I like him he's too slow, not the most amazing in the air and relies on width too much, his link up play is good but I think that's the Torres curse, you start looking at his attributes because he's been so **** and make it look like they've done a decent job. He'd fit Manchester United personally.
    Lol I'm being serious, Tottenham just didn't play to his strengths. If he was at Arsenal he would've bagged more than 15 goals this season. I don't care about his outside the box stuff, I just want him to finish.

(Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Lease surprising thing you have posted in this forum so far..
    loooooooooooooool :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Yes we are minted but do you honestly think we're going on a spending spree this summer? FFP still applies to us so if we spend around 35/40m on Fabregas I really don't see Wenger buying another player of around the same price. We need depth but we need a world class CDM more than a world class anything because it has been our weak spot this season, and adding another CM like Fabregas will only strengthen were we are already quite strong at but leave our weaknesses unattended to. Correct me if I'm wrong and that he is good at tracking back/playing a defensive role then I will take everything I've said back and happily accept him as a signing

LW + RB would have only cost around 10/12m for us what with Vela/Aurier however apparently Wenger isn't interested in Vela?
    Arsenal and Utd have the biggest stadiums and revenue streams so as long as we can limit spending to percentage of turnover, which is quit easy for us because of the first 2 points then FFP cant touch us. We don't have massive owner investment so there is no need to be worried, its the same reason why Utd can splash out £100m this year and not think about breaking any regulations.

We can potentially sign anyone we want bar the Ronaldos and Messis this summer. I would prefer to sort out our other priorities before looking at Fabregas though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doppelgänger)
    Now is not the time to be making sacrifices and Fabregas is a luxury player we don't need. We've made a statement by signing Ozil, signing Cesc would be a mistake. Regard the Ox, Wenger has a long-term plan of converting the Ox into a midfielder so this is the next phase in his development not the left wing.

I'm hoping nothing bizarre happens. Sign Serge Aurier, Benzema, a defensive midfielder (Yaya aha) and one player who makes a name for themselves at the World Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As much as I want the benzema deal to go through, it seems like it won't happen. Madrid will not let him go unless they find a suitable replacement, or if they wanna go balls out on someone else and need the cash, and even then they'll probably sell Di Maria and not benzema.

Suarez does not look like he'll leave Liverpool so that defo can't initiate the benzema deal. Maybe if they get Manzukic? But then again we could get him too..

I think we can accommodate Fabregas for sure..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Rambo & Fabregas double pivot :coma: As much as I want a big scary 6'3+ animal in the midfield to **** **** up, I love Cesc and would move heaven and earth to get him back!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I don't see why we wouldn't ever need cesc. I think he would do well playing a deeper role, converting defence into attack :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    Arsenal and Utd have the biggest stadiums and revenue streams so as long as we can limit spending to percentage of turnover, which is quit easy for us because of the first 2 points then FFP cant touch us. We don't have massive owner investment so there is no need to be worried, its the same reason why Utd can splash out £100m this year and not think about breaking any regulations.

We can potentially sign anyone we want bar the Ronaldos and Messis this summer. I would prefer to sort out our other priorities before looking at Fabregas though.
    That's exactly what lord Harris said..

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...money-to-spend

We generate more than enough income to compensate and justify our spending, should we go on a ruthless spending spree that is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    Draxler can actually be developed into a striker. The problem is his price, £37m is way too much
    Who's paying £37m for him? Wenger will have bid nowhere near that, and Bayern certainly wont if they come in for him. He's a £20m player basically, and is you judged him on this season alone more like a £10m player.

The Arsenal fans who dont even watch Bundesliga saying he was worth £37m were absolute cringe tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Who's paying £37m for him? Wenger will have bid nowhere near that, and Bayern certainly wont if they come in for him. He's a £20m player basically, and is you judged him on this season alone more like a £10m player.

The Arsenal fans who dont even watch Bundesliga saying he was worth £37m were absolute cringe tbh.
    I watched him against Chelsea and he was pretty **** tbh. Didn't really trouble us much. He just seemed like a guy who had pace and dribbling ability but nothing else really.

I guess he's young but compare him to say Hazard at the same age and if he went for 32M how does Draxler go for more. Ozil at 21 was also electrifying too. 37M is Marco Reus/Ribery/Robben territory in terms of wingers and their level of ability.

There's a reason why it's Draxlers release clause and it's because he's worth 37M to Schalke as he's one of their best players, not because he's worth 37M as a player.

ReputationRep:

Nah man it's not my personal valuation of him, it's what his alleged buy out clause is because of his long term contract

I don't think he's worth that much, no way lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    Nah man it's not my personal valuation of him, it's what his alleged buy out clause is because of his long term contract

I don't think he's worth that much, no way lol
    Nobody does, in Germany it was regarded as an absolutely ridiculous valuation as well. Suspect Wenger was bidding closer to half £37m and Schalke dug in asking for the release clause. English media then conclude that the player is valued at £37m :rolleyes:

He's also set to be cut from the WC squad.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody does, in Germany it was regarded as an absolutely ridiculous valuation as well. Suspect Wenger was bidding closer to half £37m and Schalke dug in asking for the release clause. English media then conclude that the player is valued at £37m :rolleyes:

He's also set to be cut from the WC squad.
    I remember near the end of the last summer tranfer window, I read reports of him being worth £40m. And back then I hadn't even seen him play and I was NNNAAAAAAHHH lol

If we were able to get him for half of what his asking price is then it's a perfect signing, especially because he has the potential to go on and be a striker

Today's market is absolutely disgusting, and these bigger teams just automatically push up players valuations when they spend needless money on players that arnt worth as much as they're payed for. Bale should not have gone for how much he went for, no way!

I remember when his tranfer happened Rodgers said if bale is worth £86M then Suarez is no where near worth £40m, because he's not half as good as him :/

That and when monoco splashed £60m on Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez.

Completely ruined the transfer market that buy did.

ReputationRep:
    Thought I heard reports of scouts saying he can't be converted

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Thought I heard reports of scouts saying he can't be converted

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's just my analysis on him, he's got such a sweet shot on goal man. When he's on his game he's a beast!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doppelgänger)
    Now is not the time to be making sacrifices and Fabregas is a luxury player we don't need. We've made a statement by signing Ozil, signing Cesc would be a mistake. Regard the Ox, Wenger has a long-term plan of converting the Ox into a midfielder so this is the next phase in his development not the left wing.

I'm hoping nothing bizarre happens. Sign Serge Aurier, Benzema, a defensive midfielder (Yaya aha) and one player who makes a name for themselves at the World Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's not planning on "converting" Ox into a central player, he IS a central player. He's being played out of position when he plays on the right because he's one of the few players in our team who can make decent forward runs.

Dunno why anyone would want to play him even further out of position by putting him on the left. He's always performed much better in the middle anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)

The owner would probably take out a portion of the 150m in the bank to sign him as he is a fan favourite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    He's not planning on "converting" Ox into a central player, he IS a central player. He's being played out of position when he plays on the right because he's one of the few players in our team who can make decent forward runs.

Dunno why anyone would want to play him even further out of position by putting him on the left. He's always performed much better in the middle anyway.
    I quite like AOC on the right as well tbh, and with Ramsey, Ozil, Wilshere, Cazorla in the middle I think AOC might have to bide his time at RW.

He's also done well for us on the left at times, even though we lost to Villa 3-1 in Sep, he was really very dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Setsuna)
    The owner would probably take out a portion of the 150m in the bank to sign him as he is a fan favourite.
    nah thank god we don't have anyone like Perez at the helm, Kroenke wouldn't dare touch the transfer goings on at the club, not with Wenger here anyway. Kroenke is a pure business man and thats only a good thing for the club imo, even though I think there should be more delegation going at the club especially with Wenger coming to the end of his tenure it would make the transition much easier for the new manager due to less responsibility. If a director of football is appointed though we can pretty safely assume that Wenger will be leaving shortly afterwards, unless of course he's changed his strong viewpoint on the matter.

ReputationRep:

There's a reason Wenger has played natural central midfielders on the wing. It's not a case of Wenger being tactically inept, he's trying to improve the player's all round game.

By playing on the wing players improve their abilities such as off the ball movement, anticipation, defensive contribution, direct running at opponents and making the most out of limited space. This in turn improves their ability to dominate central midfield

I think we can see this especially with Ox, he's a lively in the center but he seems to want to do everything all at once. He needs to work on his reading of the game.

ReputationRep:
    Damn we're stacked in the middle.

ReputationRep:

Can guarantee that Podolski volunteered to be the guy messing about with the eagle.

His hashtags make me lol so much #eagle

ReputationRep:

In fact, the Ox started his career out as a winger and came to Arsenal as a midfielder with Wenger stating that he acknowledged the Ox's future lies in CM. He just hasn't trusted the Ox to fill the void left by Alex Song as the Ox isn't a natural CM, he needs gradual conversion which is working to this day.

The Ox is comfortable anywhere across the 3 advanced midfield roles so it's incorrect to say Wenger plays him put of position in RM, especially when he started his career out in that position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.